Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Expressing yourself creatively, Part 1

15 years ago 0 131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What a great topic...I enjoy scrapbooking and quilting.  This just takes my mind off things and focuses it on one thing and then time flies.  It's very relaxing.
15 years ago 0 778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What a bunch of talented people we have here ! Im quite envious in  nice way . Johnny WOW . now i would rather hear someone 'play' real music than what we
get on the radio ANYDAY . 

I really enjoy watching the buskers we get here . I think they are so brave for one just singing in the street and they are usually so talented its a crime !

Miki you play the piano whoahh , now that must be rewarding .

Um i sing along to CD's thats it !!!!

15 years ago 0 477 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
JohnnyO- I really love the way you write. Do you write your lyrics also and poetry?

I have enjoyed reading lately. I enjoyed reading a lot about encouragements and dreams (especially children's books). Listening to music also gives me peace. I liked to sing, but I'm disappointed that anxiety gives me difficulty breathing. Painting is something I am good at but I am too critical about myself on that so, it ends up giving me stress. I started playing the piano again and it feels great when I get the right notes but the total opposite when I don't. Taking a walk is always good to me. Gardening is nice also, unless I kill the plants or there's creepy bugs. 

15 years ago 0 138 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I take great pleasure making music and would like to improve my skill level though I also realize that if I make it too laborious,  I'll stop enjoying it so
much.  I have computer programs that allow me to record multiple tracks, ie I can play and sing different instruments, plus the computer can
generate the sounds of other instruments.  I'm sure it would sound pretty lame to people accustom to radio quality recordings but it is fun and people
get a big kick out of having themselves singing on CD.

The use of collage as a way of dreaming a little has been useful.  Many forms of art therapy have been useful when I am unable to access some
trapped emotion and have too close a guard on it.  An art therapy technique can find a way around and root it out.

I have used drum circles as recovery fodder.  I am disappointed with the trend I see of people being taught formal structured drumming patterns (DJEMBE)
as I think the whole healing was from being free to allow your own rhythm to come out.

I had contemplated taking Salsa lessons but chickened out,  excuses about money reality about discomfort with others.

I have had periods where the journal was used a lot,  then it fades away for a while,  maybe to come back.

I love to take coloured pencils and sketch the greenery, flowers trees.  Appreciate just how intricate and beautiful they are.

The use of clay as an art therapy is quite fun though I've only used non drying clay myself,  a space where one could muck about with the real clay would be fun

As you can see,  I like to try lots of different things. For a while I considered myself an experimental cook just cause I would try so many different
healthy recipes.
15 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

Often times it can be very difficult to express ourselves out loud to ourselves or to a therapist. For this reason, some therapies are not focused on using creativity for personal expression. Art therapy can include:

·         Journaling

·         Painting

·         Water colors

·         Clay

·         Knitting or needlepoint

·         Sketching

·         Writing

·         Poetry

·         Drawing cartoons

·         Learning to play a musical instrument

·         Theatre

·         Dance classes

·         Crafting

·         Sewing

·         Composing music

·         Making a movie

·         Photography

·         Graphic Design

·         Fashion Design

Have any members had a positive experience expressing themselves creatively?   Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: