Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Assertiveness: What´s That?

12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ashley. I suppose it would depend on the crowd and tone of voice whether I would feel some one calling me an idiot would be aggressive. But yes rude is aggressive. 

Hugs. I live in the land of tree huggers. (an insult) I was a tree butcher. (logger, another insult.)
Non verbal gestures can be very aggressive. The war between the savers and the harvesters had a lot of unspoken aggression. The pine beetle settled it for us. We tried to sit down at table and settle it but assertiveness soon flared into aggression. Mean while the pine beetle asserted their right to lay their eggs in an aggressive manner till we have very few pine trees left.
We all get along now and blame it all on the beetle.
There is probably a moral in here some where.
12 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just wanted to add one thing:

Saying someone is an idiot is aggressive!  You could say I do not agree with what you are saying. That would be assertive. If you really wanted to push it you could say, "what you are saying is idiotic."  That, however, might be aggressive. But as a rule of thumb all insults are aggressive and usually counter productive.

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit(or anyone ),
Some people say that communication is 96%(the number varies but it's very high) non-verbal.

When I see pacifists(funny that the word has the word "fist" in it), they use non-verbal behaviour.  How do you see non-verbal behaviour in assertiveness?  It seems you don't feel assertiveness can be non-verbal

Am I misinterpreting you?

I make bread. I knead it aggressively, not assertively. Making your point is assertive. Making it with your hands is Aggressive. Shouting in someone's face is aggressive. If they punch you that is aggressive. If they say you are an idiot and walk away that is assertive. 
I would think that the moderators want you to stand up for your rights but in a calm way, not with a gun or a stick. Survival of the fittest is aggressive. Survival of the community is assertive. 
Ghandi was assertive. The English were Aggressive. They only thought they were assertive.

This is my take on it. Any comments. 

Davit.
V,
Today I had two(one of them was homework) heart-2-heart talks, and I think I expressed myself well.  It wasn't easy in one case.  I ran myself ragged as I got sucked into that panic-cyle merry-go-round(maybe I should say not-so-merry).

The 3rd talk today was tarnished with some sarcasm, and I regret that.  I'll do better, but I need some sleep
12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs,

You've posed some interesting questions! 
When is the last time you felt you demonstrated assertiveness?  How did you feel?
Vincenza, Health Educator
Davit,
I glossed over your response, and want to mine it for more meaning.  Why is pushing back "aggressive".  For example, police forces are under great scrutiny, internationally, as their use of "force" is criticized, so it must be hard to be in that profession.

I'd also add that I had situation with this that just irritated me 4 days later.  I'm just slow(Forrest Gump is a genius compared to me..and a sprinter).

I was in group, where we had to talk about a classroom topic, and there were 3 of us.  When I discussed the subject of time, one person stated I was a "stern taskmaster".   Since I had just done the exercise with another, and there was inattention to time, I stated that if we continued without attention to time, someone would be left out.  I'm really happy with this response, since I was so tentative, and poised.

What irks me is her constant mentioning that she works on a project for the government, and my experience with governmental agencies is generally inefficient, unproductive and bordering on unethical because of nepotism.

Any comments are welcome, and even those just reading make me happy, since it supports that someone out there is struggling, but not ready to share
Assertive is standing up for yourself when you are pretty sure you are right. Assertive is making a cool calculated point in your favour. Careful with this one, it is close but not aggressive. Standing your ground is assertive, pushing back is aggressive. The list goes on.

Davit.
Being a little more than timid, it's always been something I've wondered :  What's assertiveness.

As I started feeling comfortable in the kitchen, I think I'm beginning to grasp it.  I had to cook something until it was "firm" in the oven.  So what's "firm"?

From physics, that's when a force resists in an equal and opposite way.

So assertiveness is similar!  When someone makes a demand, I can respond in an equal and opposite way...if I choose

Does anybody have trouble grasping the "worlds" way of teaching or speaking or learning....

Reading this thread: