Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

Touching base. I'm better!

15 years ago 0 341 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
good job darkblue:) come back and keep us posted every once in a while:)
15 years ago 0 313 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi darkblue

It's great to hear you're doing so well. 

It took a lot of courage to face this head on.. and you did it!

Keep us posted...

15 years ago 0 477 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I love reading success stories, they are so encouraging! Congrats darkblue and thanks!
15 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello DarkBlue,

Thank you for the update and congratulations on all your great successes!

-Diva
15 years ago 0 150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sylvie,

The most important strategy that I have found was that of the questions.

I found them very useful for when I was feeling anxiety coming on, are when I was panicking.  It helps put things in to perspective, and for me, it helped get rid of the panic before it got hold of me.

The questions being:

Is it "true"?
How do I know it’s true?
Is it 100% true? (remember something that is 75% or 99% true is not 100% true)
What's the evidence for it being true?
What's the evidence against it being true?
Has it ever happened before?
What's different now?
If it were true, how bad would it really be?
What's the worst thing that could happen?
If the worst thing happened, how bad would it really be? 

They really did help.

Exposure is difficult.  Especially at first.  But everyone should always bear in mind that panic disorder was not sporadic.  The symptoms of panic disorder or panic attacks may have come on all of a sudden, but panic attacks/disorder is learned.  It's the way we are built and the way we live that then brings on panic attacks and therefore it takes time to unlearn that behaviour.

Patience is required in equal proportions to bravery.

I'm finding that this is also true in practicing my breathing.  I have been a shallow breather for a long time, therefore I cannot expect to do a day/week/month of exercises and expect myself to be better.  I have to work at it, practice, learn and unlearn the bad behaviour.

It all takes time but it's most certainly worth it.

15 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Darkblue,   Thank you so much for the update. It's so great to hear that you are doing well. Keep working through the sections that you are struggling with, we'd love to hear about the strategies you've used along with the program to get where you're at now.
Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well hello there DB .
Wow you sound like you are coming on very nicely indeed , and from alot of hard work either by the sounds of it . Its lovely to see  , im so pleased for you  .

The dentist thing sounded horrific as well . Brings back some nasty memories of mine . Poor very brave you .

Thanks for letting us know

15 years ago 0 150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi all,

It's been a while since I have been on.  I'm still working through exposure and I have to say, I am better.  Am I back to how I was?  No... Not quite.

I am still having problems with my shallow breathing, but I am currently using diaphragm breathing exercises, and I have no doubt that I will be using my lungs soon!

I'm not back to work yet, either.  But I am able to go wherever I like.  I'm no longer in fear of panic attacks.  I'm not longer suffering from them.

I have anxiety, but it's normal-ish anxiety.  It doesn't control me.

I've had 3 sessions of dental work, which I would have panicked about - and managed them without a problem.

Yesterday, I had a tooth extraction and the anestethic didn't work.  I was in agony.  But I didn't panic.

Things really do look up, for all of us.  You just have to approach everything rationally, logically and confidently.  It takes massive courage.  HUGE amounts of it, actually. 

But things can only get better.

Take care,

J.

Reading this thread: