Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,500 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Talking To Yourself: Normal or Not Normal?

12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Layne,
I do feel that isolation, but my schedule has been unpredctable.  I've looked at some things recently, though.  I've always volunteered, until family needs became paramount.

What I find now, is that I can help outside my family, but I'd need something positive, unlike the stresses of work  I had to leave.
12 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I find writing in my journal as a way to "talk" to myself without the onstares of people nearby, usually to help in rationalizing my thoughts, or just to get them the hell outta my head! I also plan on starting some volunteer work as far as filling in the void, trying to figure the right fit, thankfully most of the organizations I've looked into are on a drop-in basis but I would like something requiring a bit more commitment...even if it is just planting a tree to exist. :)

12 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Very thought provoking everyone!

Sunny..your bang on about volunteering..doing something good!

Josie, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You can be lonely in a crowd.  We all know that.  It's the interaction with people which makes the difference as Hugs wrote.  We need affirmation that we matter, that we aren't just existing as a tree does.  We have a soul, psyche, needs nourishment, needs encouragement, needs appreciation.  Living with someone who does his or her own thing and doesn't care what you do as long as he/she doesn't have to do it too, is lonely.  Not being needed is lonely.  I've been there and not doing it anymore.  That's when I did a lot of volunteer work to fill the void.  Might as well give something to somebody, do some good, use the time in a positive way.

Sunny
I think my needs might have changed as I aged.  Maybe it's different for different people?  I just remember many weekends when I worked shift work, when I would stay up all night, to keep my shift schedule, doing projects.

Somehow, I wish I could capture that enthusiasm. 

I wouldn't be surprised if it was just "marketing", to state that doing something with a couple of people or by yourself is not "normal", since it doesn't profit anyone else....What would world be like without the great works of art done in the privacy of artists' studios, but later admired by millions in galleries and museums of art?
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have spent a good part of my life alone, but not lonely. I was more lonely living with my first wife. When you expect to be doing something together and they don't show that is lonely. If you are happy doing things by yourself but can still socialize where is the problem.

Davit.
Doing the programme, and working with someone for increased exposure will pay off, if you read the posts.  When you continue posting, it's like practise in the "real" world, and you'll be amazed at the changes in your life.

keep in touch
12 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I talk to myself continously both in my head and out loud. I also talk to my cat and she agrees with everything I say! As I live alone this isn't a problem but I have found myself doing it in the "real" world when other people are around. Cue embarrassment. Like you Davit it is mostly negative but I find describing out loud what I am doing helps with anxiety. It seems to reinforce things more deeply when spoken out loud. I've started to say "I am safe, here, now" whenever I feel a panic attack coming on and it works better when I say it out loud. I try and say it quietly so other people don't notice. I live on a very busy road with lots of traffic etc so in all probability other people can't hear it. I also swear out loud like you hugs. It's normally "shut the blank up" or "blank off". Sometimes I can't even remember what it was I was thinking which made me reply like that. I spend the vast majority of time alone which I'm sure contributes to this. In 3 weeks, apart from my therapist coming once a week I have not had a single visitor to the house. (except the window cleaner asking for money!) My problem isn't lonliness; I have become so used to not having people around that I now don't want to see or speak to anyone. I fear people as I am not used to them. I'm trying to change this through exposure. Sorry to go off topic a bit.
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I talk to myself, I talk to my cats too. Usually when I talk to myself it is critical. Cecil talks to herself to remind herself what she is doing. William does the same. He comments on what's happening around him too. You can cut in and he will answer you. What is the difference we comment to ourselves. Doing it out loud makes it more noticeable. I find it stops me from getting too negative. William sings too. Why should that be anymore okay. My cat talks all the time, some times it makes sense even.
I find people talking on their cell phones in the waiting room more annoying.

Davit.

I started adding up people that talk to themselves, there are lots of them.
How do members feel about talking out loud to ourselves?

I've been told by family members that I do this, and they've expressed concerns.  Since I'm so isolated, and have always found it challenging to socialize, this has increased.  

I guess it's less noticeable with all the bluetooth users and people listening to their music media, but I suppose it's better than bottling up my feelings and feeling worse.

I felt sorry for a woman in my physician's office recently, who was speaking to herself, and I noticed it was a "supportive" type of talk, reminding herself to do things, as an obsessive compulsive behaviour.  She wouldn't even sit down where there were many vacant seats in that office, and I wanted to invite her to take a seat, but didn't wish to make her feel uncomfortable.

I guess i wish sometimes someone would reach out for me, but I've been so afraid in the past, and am left with myself to talk to.  And I'm finding myself boring lately, so i've begun cursing.

Anybody out use "self-talk" out loud

Reading this thread: