Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

OCD and health worries?

13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Wrestler,

I'm sorry that my response came across as 'stern'! That was not my intention.   I was trying to say that in the absence of any pain or significant sypmtoms, try to change the spiraling of worry. Self-diagnosing was not helping. But in the end, I'm really glad you listened to your body!

13 years ago 0 195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Tiana,

Thank you for the very sane reponse. I really appreciate it. I worried myself last night until I felt hot and scared. I've done it many times where I almost feel like I have a fever.

These thoughts of being ill, when I am really not, have followed me since I was a child. I remember when I was 13 and going to get my tonsils out, and I thought my Dad was lying to me and that I had a much more serious problem. was silly of me.

So far we have had a good day. My wife and I worked out for a little while. I did back and shoulders while we watched Doctor WHO. The Doctor WHO The Christmas Special is on tonight on BBC America. We have been looking forward to it for months.

Exercise has always been the place I go to find piece of mind.

I know the loss of our cat has brought on some of these feelings of dread for me. When my Father died 2 years ago, I began to think there was something wrong with me.

We looked at web sites about adopting another cat. I think we are going to find one this week before we have to go back to work after the new year. My wife misses our cat terribly. That's natural when you have a pet more than half your life thus far.

Still doing the juice fast. I have made it nearly 2 days, which was my goal. Achieving this goal is giving me some needed self confidence that I have been lacking. I hate when thinking begins that downward spiral toward negativity.

Anyway, thanks so much for your stern reply. It really helped me get back on the horse. I know I will still have challenges, but if the negative thinking returns, I will look at your words.

David
Hi Wrestler,

My 'sane' advice is to focus on clearning your mind of anxious thoughts. Don't worry about your health. Can you challenge your worries? What evidence do you have to support your worry, versus what does not support it. You will probably find that your anxiety about your health is based on pretty flimsy evidence! You may recognize that this is part of CBT.  

Enjoy your day. Take your mind to a good place. Are you doing the program? What techniques have worked for you in the past?

Tiana, Health Educator
Hello, again, everyone.

This has been a rough week. We had to put our 19 year old cat, Pinky, down early this morning at 4 am. My wife was 17 when she took the cat home (1991). This broke my wife's heart. She had not been doing well for about 2 weeks. We took her last Friday for a visit to the vet and the referred us to the emergency vet who gave a different diagnosis. It turns out she had lymphoma/cancer. We had fluid drained twice and one prednisone shot since Friday, but by early this morning, she was telling us it was time. Hardest decision I ever had to make.

This has been weighing on me for over a week. It's just a good thing we are both on vacation. My wife is a teacher and always has off this time of year. I made plans in advance with my job to have this time off. We're already looking into getting another cat. We are also going to see the Manatees tomorrow at Blue Springs Park in DeLand, Florida. They come every winter because the water temps are 72 degrees.

OK, now to the part about my worries. I made the mistake of looking up kidney ailments this evening and completely depressed myself. I know I had blood work done, but it may take a while for results. I do have a history of kidney stones. I found one site that had symptoms of kidney infections. Yesterday, my chiropractor made a comment that where I was pointing on my body was near my kidney. Being the hypocondriac that I am, I decided to look up kidney problems. I have had a little pressure near my kidneys, no pain, mainly on the left side between the front of my body and lower back. This is why I think it's colon related or kidney related. I really need to stop self diagnosing. But with it being the holidays, my doctor is probably off until the new year. I am also repeating. Just a little shortness of breath or indigestion that comes up. That's where the tic often starts.

I also did a juice fast today. I made it through the whole day. Just fresh juice that I made and a probiotic and aloe.

Oh, and about the colon issue, I also looked that up and found something called impacted colon. Some symptom similarities.

I also must remind myself that I suffer from SAD every winter. This one has been interesting to say the least.

I will gladly take any sane advice because I am all over the place.
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Wrestler:  I've heard deep tissue massage is excellent and the epsom salts bath too, from the massage therapist.  I'd give it a try.  A suggestion:  when the tics start up sitting on the couch, can you try some distraction?  Get off the couch, go do something else for a minute or two.  Even sipping a glass of water, take the garbage out, anything to break the cycle.  You could try the breathing, relaxation exercises to interrupt the cycle.  Keep the faith.

Your friend, Sunny
13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wrestler,
Wishing you well.

Red.
Hi Wrestler,

I"m glad that venting helps!! Keep that in mind and post often. Even people without anxiety issues find it helpful to vent! Thoughts can gain so much power when they are bouncing around in our heads and gaining momentum.

I suggest that if your symptom worsens, you see a doctor. Psoas makes me think of sciatic pain.. but I would think your chiro would know about that, as you likely would with your fitness background (if memory serves me correctly). What if you followed his advice and went for a massage? Or took an epsom salts bath? Mentally, how have you coped successfully with your health-related worry? You went for bloodwork, so congratulate yourself on facing that fear!!

Tiana, Health Educator
I also forgot to add that I have these little fatty pockets around my mid-section that is mostly likely the cause of the discomfort. My doctor has checked them in the past and said they were nothing to worry about.
I would really like to know a way to get them removed. I once lost 30 pounds and they were nearly gone. That was when I was off meds.

has anyone had a similar symptom?
OK,
First off, our cat is 19 years old and we found out last week she has cancer. It's tearing my wife up and breaking her heart and in-turn breaking mine because of hers. We had fluid drained from her twice and now she is on prednisone. The vet says if she gets worse again that we should euthanize her.

That - and this:

My latest obsession is thinking that there is something wrong with me. I have this uncomfortable feeling on my left side that either feels like indigestion or a muscle related issue. No pain. Just a little uncomfortable when standing still, but it does not bother me much at all when I sit or lean to the side. A friend of mine thinks it might be my psoas muscle that is connected near the vertabre. My chiropractor recommended a deep tissue massage.

My couch tic has also returned. I have several, like sniffing, clearing throat, pulling on my clothes, etc. The coughing one is typical. I know it is related to nervousness.

It's really weird. It just feels like a drag on my lower side by my left kidney. I have had kidney stones before, but this does not feel like a stone.

I was fine about it earlier in the day, but after leaving the chiropractor, I began to worry, again, because he did not know what it could be.

I went for blood work today (unrelated) because my doctor wants to know my cholesterol, etc. I am sure if something is wrong it will show. I really don't think anything is wrong, but I wish I could tell my obsessive and sometimes illogical mind this.
I know I am a worry wart and always build these things up in my head until the thoughts eventually go away.

OK, there, I feel a little better for venting. I know I usually vent about panic and/or some silly dire situation where I feel like I am going crazy. Maybe this can be filed under the same category.

Would welcome any thoughts.

Reading this thread: