Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

Challenging anxious thoughts - help!

17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members, If you're having trouble zeroing in on the cause or subject of your anxious thoughts, you may find it helpful to keep track of it in a small journal. Carry it with you and everytime you experience an anxious thought or symptom, write it down. In a few days, you may be able to see patterns and the root causes you're looking for. Just remember to try to be as precise as you can and include the five W's: who, what, where, when, why. Hope this helps. Danielle _____________________ The PC Support Team
17 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Moochela :) ... sounds like you're in the "same boat" as we're all in, or were in prior to treatment. The one thing, that I cannot stress enough is this: Whenever you feel anxious, pay attention to your THOUGHTS. You know, the random, immediate, "split-of-a-second" sentences that pass through your mind? ...we all have 'em. But they come and go so quickly that we don't nearly pay enough attention to them, although we should. So, next time you're feeling anxious...listen to what you're telling yourself. Then, if work permits...jot down those thoughts/sentences. EX: "I'm not going to get promoted." - "I know my co-workers are talking behind my back.", etc... (These are just examples, obviously...) Now, from that point on, it's like gut instinct. You can almost always tell which thought is most prevalent. For me, personally, it's practically screaming off the page because it usually involves some kind of fear. So, once you've indentified this thought, which in reality, is a trigger for your anxiety... Make use of the ten questions. Hope that helps! Niki
17 years ago 0 54 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks that is helpful. I wonder if in a way I am trying to avoid dealing with the issues by saying that I do not know what to do! The anxiety is obviously coming from somewhere and I am keeping it going for a purpose although not sure why! Hey you are all so helpful and kind thanks a million!
17 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
OMG that is exactly how I feel, I can't pinpoint what exactly makes me anxious, which in turn makes my anxiety creep up. I sort of attribute it to morning anxiety. I have it in the morning and when I go to bed. It is almost like a 'check' to see what my status of anxiety is or rather my symptoms, ie nausea, prickly,sweating etc... Hmmm anyone have more thoughts on the how to pinpoint thoughts?
17 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hmm... Maybe in a way, your thought is hidden right underneath the surface. EX: your thought might be related to you not wanting to be here! You might be having thoughts like "I have to get out of here" Now that makes anxiety go higher. So you challenge that thought about how you really don't NEED to get out of here, how you will be fine. Then you follow the 10 question that are given in session four to challenge your thought and you are set. Sometimes the anxious thought isn't at the surface but by looking at what you are feeling, like wanting to go home it is possible to go underneath and find what is bothering you. It takes practice and you have to monitor your thoughts often but eventually it becomes much easier to know exactly what thoughts are making you feel bad. Sorry i could not be of more help. Keep at it you can do it! Hang in there you day will be fine :) Keep me posted -diva
17 years ago 0 54 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am trying to challenge my thoughts but am struggling! The problem is that I feel anxious but do not seem to know why so not sure what or how to challenge! Any ideas? Like today I have come to work and just feel anxious. I am not sure why. All I can think is that I do not want to be here although I like my job and am confortable at the workplace. My anxiety feels very physical and I can not always relate it to thoughts that I can challenge. HELP!!!!!! :confuse:

Reading this thread: