Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,630 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

Struggling with counter acting my anxious thoughts!

17 years ago 0 54 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It is a slow process and sometimes it is easier than others! If you definitely know that there is nothing wrong with you then you need to hold on to that. If you don't know, have it checked so that you are sure. I find that distraction is also great. I challenge the thought by: "I know this is a panic attack", "I know there is nothing wrong with my heart", "I have had this before and it has passed", etc. I also use distraction in between the thoughts, for example I practice dance steps in my mind from my dance classes, this usually takes my off of it. I then tell myself "see, it has passed, there was nothing to worry about". It is like building very slowly on each experience although there are inevitable setbacks now and then. You need to find the thoughts and tactics that work for you. And you need to believe that you can do this, that this is not out of your control. Now I shall go and practice what I preach lol Good luck
17 years ago 0 31 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey guys. I am in the same boat. I have just learned to take small baby steps. One thing at a time. I have a fear that I will pass out. It's a constant fear that brings on attacks. I am just trying to learn to not let my thoughts take control. It's a long road but you have to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel.
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members, Please work through the CBT program. It will teach you how to start challenging those anxious thoughts in a step-wise manner. Please don't be too hard on yourself. It takes time and practice. Danielle _____________________ The PC Support Team
17 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm the same way. I don't know to challenge my anxious thoughts and inevitably I end up having a full blown panic attack. Does anyone have some tips to try and challenge the anxious thoughts. Even when I go the psychologist office for CBT training I'm still trying to find ways not to go to the appointment, because I'm not challenging the anxious thoughts .
17 years ago 0 21 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am struggling with challenging my anxious thoughts. Whenever I am particular anxious or having a panic attack I keep having that thought that something bad is going to happen - and for me that is having a heart attack (I have chest pains amongst my symptoms). I do try and use the techniques in the programme but am still finding it difficult. I feel this programme is definitely the way to beat this, so I would just like to know whether anybody has any pointers to help me move in the right direction.

Reading this thread: