Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,547 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57

Does it Ever Get Better?

14 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi all,
I sometimes look out the window and see people fastening their belts, put their sunglasses on and stroll away, looking in control of taking care of themselves and feel envious. 
But other times, I see my family come home from work exhausted telling me their stories about bad situations at work and how they just go straight to bed really miserable... makes me think, they may have somethings I don't but I may have somethings they don't and can appreciate the time that I have.

14 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Davit and Sunny123,
                                             The kind and encouraging words of advice are very much appreciated. I will definetly continue on my road to recovery and peace of mind, thanks so much.
14 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I feel the same way as sadie. I constantly worry am I going to get better. After I make some progress some big stressful event comes and knocks me back down to square one and I feel like I'm destined to be miserable and to struggle. I keep waiting for better days.
14 years ago 0 192 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sadie:  I have wondered too if I will ever get better.  Sometimes thought I never would be the same again.  I did though, so you can too. 
You know nothing is perfect.  Life isn't perfect, stress is a normal reaction.  Even "normal" people get stressed out. It only gets bad when we are worn out with it, when our mind fears it, fears the symptoms;  the racing heart, the shakes, the hot and cold, the tight throat, dizziness, we fear the fear.  We get conditioned to automatically fear any of the above symptoms and leap to conclusions.
Not all stress is bad - think about a surprise birthday party.  Your heart will race, you might even get flushed with the excitement, but you won't fear it because it is a "happy" occasion.  When it comes out of the blue, we fear it and we ask ourselves, where does it come from, maybe I am sick and the negatives are like a vicious circle which makes the fear compound because of the negative thoughts, more adrenaline makes the symptoms worse.  CBT will help to change your negative thoughts to positive ones.  It will help you to face your fears, make sense out of them. 
It does get better - hang in there.  It didn't get better overnight, so pls. don't give up.
14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sadie

Most people are not as happy as they look. There are a lot of us out there and they like me are good at hiding it. Some just have better coping skills than you. But if you look close you can spot them.  I had a nice long post with my experiences in the hospital and the people I saw come in at night with panic attacks but I type too slow and this site keeps timing out and logging me out. So just know that one in four at least has some form of anxiety and most of them will have a panic attack at some time although they may not know what it is. Some join the club that night and go to the Pharmacy the next day for pills. Also I know from conversations with my therapist that people do get better if they want to put the time and energy into it but it does take time. You sound like you are willing to do this so I can say with some certainty that you will be one of the ones that gets cured you just have to be patient and wait for it. You can only force it so much.

Just keep at it and it will work. It did for me and although I slip some times I am happy the way I am and it gets better every day.

Davit.
14 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello everyone,
                         I often think about this also, " Will i ever be over this and feel like the old me, i find myself looking around at the people in my life and even people on the street, and thinking are they going through the same thing i am, or i feel myself a little jealous of their happiness with not having to deal with what i am, Does anyone else feel this way. For me stress is something i have to watch as it brings on the Anxiety. On a positive note i am going to continue working on my Anxious thoughts and dealing with the negativity and hey spring is coming here in canada soon, have a great day!!bold
AmJ

Good.  Its like being in a boat on the ocean. You go up and the view is fantastic and when you go down you wait. But eventually the up and down will settle down. Remember it is you fighting you not you fighting someone else. You know the enemy so you can win.

Davit.
14 years ago 0 50 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you everyone so much. I had a panic attack a little earlier due to these same nagging thoughts but yours thoughts help alot. I guess I'll continue fighting the good fight. Its just hard to feel better one week and revert back the next.
AMJ
14 years ago 0 192 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello AMJ:  You are getting better - you go out more, you don't use Xanax, you no longer are bound to your home.  Wow, that's more than one step forward.    It isn't a relapse to have an anxious thought once in awhile, we all do.  Your body is still used to the anxious thoughts, troublesome body sensations.  We tend to be hypervigilant to these.  It will lessen as you heal more, as your confidence level grows.  You may still have an anxious moment every now and then, however, you won't go back to square one because you have learned a lot about this disorder and you now have the tools to help you.

Take extra good care of yourself.  good luck.
AmJ

lol. No, it means you are getting better. It is just your mind reacting to the stimulus before it can become full blown. It is annoying but it does get better. You know you are going to get better so why these thought otherwise. I tell mine to go away. I want to say things but can't because they would be considered prescribing. I fight the negative thoughts till my head would burst and then I clear the slate with a half a valium and start over again. This works very well for me. I don't have to do this often enough for it to be considered a crutch. And they do get farther apart and allow me to do the exposure work. 

Hope this is of some help.
Davit.

Reading this thread: