Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

hello & my story

13 years ago 0 376 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
From my experience I believe we can never get our lives "back again" ... we can only create a new "normal".  Create anew... I like that.  As I've posted before, one of my new coping skills is Zentangling ... (drawing repeating patterns) .. anyway, it is traditionally done in ink... no erasing.  And it just strikes me how much it mirrors life in that you can't "undo" ink or life events...  you have to work with them... go around them... make them into something else.... or build on top of them until they blend into the background or are completely obliterated by a new design.  Life or drawing... they are both a process. 

13 years ago 0 356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Rob,

Welcome to this site. There are many kind and knowledgeable people here. I do not have much figured out for myself yet but wanted to welcome you to the site and to echo that yes this is a very very helpful place to come. I am sorry for your loss.

Your words "get my life back together again" stuck out for me. I have had that feeling as well and wonder how to achieve that. Because of a death of someone close to me a few years ago I have been reading about grief and loss lately and it seems that the process involves finding a way to incorporate the past into one's life in a way that allows functioning and some peace and joy again...I used to think that it was a one time event - that one day I would realize my life was "back together again" and I would never go 'backwards" again. Over the past year I have ,with cbt, had some days where life has felt back together again in a real way and then some days I return to grieving, it has been a back and forth process in terms of grief.

I know far less than a lot of other people on this site but I do know that grieving is a process and the more patience we can have with ourselves the better. I hope you find this site useful, I think you will. 

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Rob

There is no time frame on getting better, it has more to do with the will to get better and the information to do it. The information is here along with support. The will is up to you, just know we are here with you every step of the way.

Here for you,
Davit.
13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Robb,
Thank you for sharing your story. I find that working through grief is probably the hardest thing we will ever have to do in our lives..I am glad you found us and are here..This program has helped me get my life back after 7 years. I am not quite sure why or how but it has and that is all that matters..It is a very different life than the one I had before. I think it is a much better life because it has helped me to have a better understanding of myself as I am now. I think as you work the program here you will get a better understanding of yourself too. Go slow and take all the time you need..Post when you feel you want or need to and someone will reply to support you on your journey..

Red
13 years ago 0 376 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Robb.  I am so very sorry for your loss and the impact it has had on your life.  It was helpful for me to read the CBT session on grief as I learned that a complicated relationship and/or death makes it far more difficult to work through the grief.  A lot harder than when everything is clear cut and open.  I've experienced both.  Your situation is clearly complex.  Sunny is right... you have come to the right place.  Be gentle with yourself and know we are here to support you. 
13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Rob,

Thanks for sharing your story. You are very brave and have come far, by the sounds of it. I don't think it is ever too late to get your life to a state that you desire and deserve, but not everyone has the courage to take the important and hard steps to get there. Congratulate yourself on that!

Post often, let us know how we can help. There are wonderful, supportive and wise folks here for you!

Tiana, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good Morning Rob999:  WELCOME Rob.  Thank you for sharing your story. Yes, that certainly sounds traumatic.  That's very sad.  Sometimes trauma makes us numb, we cope not realizing it's all inside of us.  Then one day, it has to come out in some way.  At least, that's how it happened for me.  You have come to the right place.  Pls. keep posting and start the CBT program as soon as you can.  Work at it at your own speed, ask as many questions as you wish.  We are here to hold your hand and support you along the way.  We are listening and someone is usually on to answer.  Keep the faith.

Sunny
13 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi I thought I'd say hello & tell some of my story.
I have been struggling for the last 9 years with issues I didn't understand.
having been succesfull and doing well in my work and life I went to making mistakes
and screwing up.
The other story - when I got engaged in 2001 my older sister attempted suicide and 5 days
after my wife & I married she was found dead in circumstances that suggest suicide on the anniversary of
my parents death. (I now know that she had probably had an undiagnosed depression for many years
& looking back I can see signs in her behaviour and her life.)
I experienced what I now understand to be a profound trauma at the time I told almost no one outside
of my family.
 I think I basically denied and blocked the impact of this event on my life and suffered the consequences of this.
One of those consequences has been extreme anxiety.
Recently with a wonderful therapist who I saw through my work I have made the connections between what
happened and the hell I have been struggling through since then.
Just understnading whats been going on helps so much I have felt so stupid and embarrased and ashamed for so long.
Now I still get anxious but I can stop and do my breathing exercises and bring myself down again.
Jsut trying to start thinking about whether after eight messed up years I can get my life back together
again

Reading this thread: