Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,668 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MNJD, kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ

I´m New!...Just Wondering

13 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Youngguy,
sounds like the meds are doing good. Great job. Your plan about staying in low doses sounds like a good plan too, you can talk to your doc. and therapist about that too. Let us know how the meeting goes. 

13 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Young guy,
Are you doing this program? Because if you are maybe the Chapter on challenging your negative thoughts will help when you worry about reactions  to the medication. I've been on celexa for 3 months now, and am so glad I am taking it.  I hope I don't have to be on it forever, but I am calmer then I've been in many  years, but still myself.. I don't feel drugged  at all. The first week or so was really rough...but since then its great. I still get all sorts of negative thoughts too, but am so good at dispelling them that I haven't had any  panic in over a month.
The only side-effect I still get regularily are very vivid dreams, usually  early in the morning...some good....very adventurous, some scary, but the realism of them is kind of freaky. I've read quite a few self-help books too, is the one you are reading good?
Mamakim,
I'm so glad you are feeling better. Good luck with quitting the nicotine.
Cleo
13 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 Thanks for all of the replies! I'm feeling alot better already!! And I really like the idea of keeping a log on what I fear is a possible side effect...since I always tend to forget things when I go see my doctor.

I decided to take paxil since I had a really hard time falling sleep (fearing I wouldn't fall asleep, jolting awake with my heart racing, waking up feeling really anxious and feeling keyed up every time I tried to fall asleep) and after 3 weeks at 10mg a day along with some self-help my sleep has gotten sooo much better (only two rough nights since I started taking it). I have also not any sevre panic attacks (palpitaions, feeling diconnected, ect.), I just tend to worry a fair amount still. As for side effects so far I think I've been pretty lucky. I had a bit of nausea on the second day (went away after a small bottle of ginger ale), I sweat a bit more and I'm sometimes a little tired during the day. As for my other fears (fearing that I have every illness in the book); I want to get over them by going for thearpy...so I am going to see a pyscholgist next week, which I am really exited about since I know that it will help me.

But again I've only been on it for 3 weeks and I was told it that it may take up to 6-8 weeks until I feel the drug's full effect. I was hoping to just to stay on the low dose and take a more "pyscological" approach to overcoming the rest of my anxiety. I just found my sleep problems to be the most distressing of all.

13 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi youngguy4848,

Welcome to the Panic Center and thank you for sharing your story with us. You have come to a great place to receive support and encouragement, many people here share similar questions and concerns as you. We are a group of individuals that support each other.

To get started with the panic program  read all of Session 1: Understanding Panic. It’s important to complete Session 1 as it teaches you the underlying causes of panic, and how this program works.

After you’ve completed Session 1 you can read through any of the 15 other Sessions you choose. For example, after you’ve completed Session 1 you may decide to focus on Session 16: Grief and Loss, or maybe Session 12: Resolving Disputes. Since we’re all different, it only makes sense for each of us to decide what area of the program best applies to our unique situation, and we are always here if you have any questions at all.

Members, what sections of the program were particularly helpful to you? What tips can you give you youngguy4848 for working through program effectively?

Samantha, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi Young guy,
welcome to the site. when i took Lexapro, i had a lot of night sweats and vivid dreams at the beginning. the body needs some time to adjust and there will be minor side effects. But even when i didn't take meds, i was always looking for 'side effects' or symptoms for anything so, when i start to look, they show and it all goes into a circle. that is what anxiety does... so it's most likely your anxiety rather than the meds. it's helpful to keep a meds log and jot down everything each day so you can take it to your dr. and discuss. Best wishes and keep us updated.
13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Young guy,

Welcome to the support group.  Don't worry about the length of your post.  Its about half the length of most of my posts.  As for the Meds I worry when ever I take Rx. medication thats new.  Lots of people here do.  Thats pretty normal.  I think.

Red
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Young guy.

Long post?  Oh yeah you are new. Na some posts get real long especially mine.  I was on almost all the SSRIs, side effects are pretty mild unless you don't need them or unless you need a different type. I seem to be the only one here that has to take a different class. Every one will tell you if you get through the first week or two with no big problem then it is clear sailing with only the odd minor side effect. So keep posting and let us know how it goes. We are a group and as a group are here for you. Welcome to the site. 

Davit
13 years ago 0 88 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was totally like that when they put me on Celexa. I have been on it for about a month now and I am feeling much better. I had a bit of an anxiety attack at work today but I think it was more being tired than anything and got over it pretty quickly. I was also drinking too much caffeine at one point but have not had any in almost two months I think, next is the nicotine to quit.

I had the shakes pretty bad and at times it felt like a light bulb had turned on inside my body and heated me from the inside out but that has passed. I just went to my doctor for the checkup and felt much better after talking to him.

Has your anxiety level gone down?
13 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 Hey, I'm new to the group here and have had anxiety problems for about six months now.

So far I've made alot of progress through a self help book but am kind of stuck in a rut now :( Three weeks ago I started taking a drug called Paxil and I take 10mg per day. I was REALLY skeptical on taking it since I was afraid of all the side effects and bad things listed about it on websites but my doctor reasured me that I was going to be fine and if i felt at all uncormfortable while on the drug to come back and see him, which kind of made me feel better. Its just that now I keep on fearing that every little muscle twich or "odd sensation" that I have is a sign of serrious side effect or illness caused by the drug. For example last week I thought I had seritonin syndrome since I was chilled and I was really restless (which was actually caused by my anxiety and drinking too much coffee that moring.) And at the moment I feel kind of "out of it", like i'm living in a dream...which I have learned is a normal feeling tied to anxiety from reading the posts here, which is making me feel a bit better. But I am still worried that its a reaction to the drug....I was just wondering if anybody else has ever been though this and has felt the same way?? Also I am going back to my doctor at the end of the week just to make sure I'm fine.

By the way, sorry for such a long post!

Reading this thread: