Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

new and.....crazy???

14 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Valppomommy,
I'm new here too...Its a really good place to be...the people here really understand...they  offer great tips and don't judge.
I am alot like you too. I still don't like hearing about anything that has to do with having a stroke because I had myself convinced thats how I was going to die. And when I heard  about Brett Micheal's problem I automatically thought that could be me . But I now know a bit of how negative thinking can be challenged with  the 10 questions.  Its been working for me.
So stay with us here. Vent  as much as you need to. I'm going to take Davit's advice myself about the B/Pmachine. I have one, but I have hidden it because of my fears.
Congrats on a baby girl!
I like the '"Lurker" term . Made me laugh.
Cleo

14 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Valppomommy:  Welcome to the site. Congratulations on your little baby.  Sorry you are going through this hard time right now.  I used to worry about heart attacks and couldn't even read anything about the subject as it would get me anxious all over again.  There is hope with this program as I no longer have that feeling.  I hope you decide to do the CBT program offered here and post as often as you like, be angry, scared, vent, ask questions.  We understand and you will get responses quickly enough.  Good luck.
14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Valpomommy

I used to till I decided that if it was going to happen there was not much I could do. As long as you are taking reasonable precautions what else can you do. I have staph infection, people used to die from this. I am on IV antibiotics for it at home and I know it will take time to get rid of it. Yes my mind says I am dying but if I write down exactly how I feel then I know I'm not. We all get stomach aches and head aches. With panic the mind constantly looks for negative things. It is a conditioning that you have to replace with positive things and a positive answer so you will just automaticly look for the good instead of the bad. Settle for a check up every six months and accept that you will be fine for the next six months. You have done all you can. Buy a cheap BP machine and take your BP. Take it every 10 minutes till you are sick of it and then discard every reading but the lowest because The others will not be accurate. If you do enough things to prove you are wrong you will soon start to believe it. Reinforcing? To get it more strongly imbedded in you mind. Think it, speak it, write it. Three different parts of the brain to store it as positive verses one spot, thought, to store the negative. This works for sure. Been there done that. Do the program. Post often. Talking is positive and will bury the negative thought. Write something positive and read it over and over, preferably aloud. (three positives instead of one.)
14 years ago 0 33 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Valpomommy,

I too am new here  although I didnt have the benefit of Lurking.

I wanted to state that if you do think going to a dr. will help elleviate some of your anxiety, you might check to see if there is a local mission medical center. They have one of those here and they will definately work with you, the majority of the time the cost is about the same as if you had insurance covering. Someone told me that they also do pro-bono stuff as well. You might want to check with some local churches as they would likely be aware those places.

I've only been doing the program for two days and the first session and the relaxation session has helped me immensely.
14 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Valpomommy,

Welcome and thank you for having the courage to post today.  It can be intimidating to post at first but I am very glad you decided to join us.  

You mentioned that you were a lurker on this site for quite some time.  Have you been working on the program also?  The program can really help you with all of your fears. 

I understand that you do not have coverage right now but going to the doctor and clearing your chest so to speak about all your concerns might be very beneficial.  Do you think having a final once over to ensure your health is completely fine will help the situation?

Now that being said if you do decide to do that how will you ensure that you will trust the doctors words?  Many members here have similar fears to yours and they will tell you that sticking with this program and posting will certainly help.

What else do you think you need from us and from yourself to see progress in addressing your anxiety?

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello everyone,
I am actually not new to this site, per say, but have been somewhat of a "lurker" for a few years. My anxiety has gotten so bad I can hardly stand it. I always think there is something medically wrong with me. If I hear of something happening to someone, I think I have it. For instance, I heard on the news that Brett Michaels had a brain hemorage. Now I fear that the same will happen to me. Recently, I've been thinking I have a brain anuresym or that my brain is just going to explode. I get the slightest pain in my head and I think I'm about to die. Before that, I was convinced I had heart disease. I am 30 years old and in good health (as far as I know). My husband lost his job a few months ago so we have no health insurance; therefore, I cannot go to the doctor. I've been on meds in the past, which have been successful, but I am still breastfeeding my daughter so I really do not want to take anything. I just don't understand why I cannot just  live my life like other people. I focus so much of my time on my "illnesses" I can hardly focus on anything else. It seems like there just HAS to be something medically wrong with me. What if I have cancer and don't get diagnosed? What if my doctor has misdiagnosed my anxiety and it's really heart disease. Does anyone else suffer from things like this?  Sometimes I just feel like I'm going crazy, like I'm just going to lose it one day and have to be committed.  Sorry I've rambled for a while...just really need to get this off my chest. Thanks for hearing me out!

Reading this thread: