Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

What should I do?

14 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
neeners,

Good for you for working with your doctor to help one another work on a plan that is right for you! Do continue to use the exposure exercises to work your bus route.  You are progressing very well and this is something you should be proud of!

Keep up updated!

Josie, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi,

Just to update. I have returned to work. After my holiday I felt a lot better. i went back to my doctor and he increased my medication a little bit to help me witht the transition. this is my third day back at work. I have being getting the bus to work every day. What i do is buy a day ticket so i can get on and off when i need to so I dont feel bad. To be honest I havent got off at all. This is a bit of a mistake i think as I now feel that I was pushing myself to go the full way as I dont want to be late for work. I think I will talk to my boss about this so that she understands. Also I found that coming in about 20 mins later helps as the bus and traffic are much quieter. Feeling a bit anxious today and havent slept so great the past few nights. All in all I feel I am coping better, it is just the bus I have to conquer. In any case I gave it a try and we'll see how it goes. i tend to focus very negatively on my anxious feelings and believe it is the start of a downward spiral. I hope this isnt true!

Thanks! N
14 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
N,

Sorry to hear that you've been feeling really bad the past few days. On the bright side, you have a trip to Greece to look forward to!  How wonderful I'm sure you will have an amazing trip.
Hang in there, and please keep us posted on how you are doing,

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the support. I've been feeling really bad the past few days. My doctor increased the dose of my meds and they make me feel so braindead and shaky. I walked into town today and made a few purchases. It went fine and I felt good about myself afterwards. Because I was so tired I was just staying at home which made me feel isolated. Am going to go into town every day  for a little longer as I definately felt better. I'm going on holiday to greece for 2 weeks next week so I have to face the scareoplane! It will be worth it though. After that I will decide about going back to work. After my holiday I will hopefully be more relaxed and my tablets should be working.
All the best , N
14 years ago 0 125 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Neeners

I am new as well

Wow, it sounds like u were in a tough sitch at your last job.  I definetly freak out a little when I am anti social.

Ashley is right, social support is so important

You will do great no matter what you decide.  Please let us know how you are doing and what you decide to do
14 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Neeners,  it is nice to hear from you!

The pressure you put on yourself will only make things worse.  There are so many options for you.  You would be surprised how many resources there are out there that help people when it comes to employment.  Career and programs are specifically put in place to help people who have gaps in their resume.  You have a great CV and you clearly have a lot of ambition; you will do fine no matter what you choose. You need to be healthy to be productive. 

It sounds to me from your previous post that you really liked your job before you had to move to the isolated position.  Try to remember the reasons why you liked it and why you like to push yourself to reach your goals.  Try not to let this bad experience colour the achievements you have made and the thoughts of your future career path.  What did you like about your previous work situation? And what would you like in a future career?

Keep working through the program and posting. 

Ashley, Health Educator
Thanks for the reply and the encouragement Ashley. I tend to be very hard on myself. I am following your programme now and I hope to have success along with my medication. Until I read your message I was putting myself under huge pressure to return to work or it would be the end of the world. Your message allowed me to to think for the first time that I might not return and that would be ok. I have pushed myself hard in the past and built up a good CV, now there just seems to be so many gaps and I worry that I won't get back on track.

Thanks, Neeners75 (formerly neeners)
14 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Neeners,

First of all I would like to congratulate you on doing so well this far.  You were nervous to go overseas yet you still did it.  You are a very strong individual and I don't want you to forget that.

The thing about any mental illness is that it needs to be managed.  Mental Health cannot be cured it has to be maintained.  Individuals with panic need to maintain a healthy lifestyle and a lot of this is stress management.  As I am sure you are aware stress can worsen and even trigger a panic attack.  Most people who experience panic first notice symptoms when they are going through a stressful period in their lives. That being said, being alone and away from loved ones is certainly a stressful environment.  People need people, humans are social creatures and need interaction for emotional support, leisure, self worth etc., etc., etc.  It seems clear that this lack of social contact compounded by the stress of starting a new job in a new country triggered your panic to worsen.  Now you need to focus on getting happy and healthy again. This does not mean you need to give up your goals and aspirations it just means you need to put your health first.

Although some people do not take mental illness as seriously as other illnesses the truth is they are just as serious if not more so.  I would talk to you doctor about this.  Is there an option for taking a disability leave?  You would have to look into that.  You have to feel ready to go back to work.

If that is not an option you will need to way the pros and cons and make a choice.  Are there things you could do to make your situation better?  What were you doing or thinking differently when you were away and were not experiencing panic?  What is the first step you can take to improve your mental health?

I recommend seriously thinking about these questions and perhaps keeping a thought journal.  There you will be able to track your feelings and potentially pin point triggers and irrational thoughts. 

We will find a solution together.  You can overcome this hurdle with flying colours.  Take some time each day to look for solutions but also reward yourself and take time to meditate, exercise, spend time with loved ones and relax.  You deserve it and your body needs it.

Keep posting!

Members, any advice?

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Maybe someone could offer me a little advice? I am 34 yrs old and had my first panic attack about 5 years ago. Initially it didn't really bother me, but following a few stressful events that came at the same time, I became house bound for a while (about 6 weeks). I managed to get out and about again but I was always very anxious. To cut a long story short for the last 3 years I've been basically fine, the only fear I had left was driving.

Earlier this year I got a job which meant moving overseas on my own. I was happy to move and off I went. The first month was fine and I was working with really nice people who I got on with. After that I was moved somewhere that I worked completely on my own day in day out. There was one other guy but he was quite hostile. I worked there for 10 weeks and at the end I felt the panic coming back. I was crying at my desk and couldn't imagine how i would get home. I should mention that I live alone too. For these 10 weeks I had minimal contact with anyone. I had told my boss earlier about the situation.

Eventually it was decided that I was to be moved back to my original location. By then I couldn't cope with getting the bus, going for lunch in a group or doing any work. I was having up to 8 panic attacks every night and I was severely anxious all the time. I told my boss and she told me to go home for a week. I thought this would sort me out .Of course my bags got searched at the airport and I panicked again!

I am at home 2 weeks now and my Dr has put me on 10mg Lexapro. I dont know how I feel, still very anxious. The thing is I am terrified about going back to work, supposedly next week when my sick leave runs out. I will be alone again in another country. I really dont feel ready but I don't want to chicken out and I need a reference for my CV. I know my boss doesn't understand this. I wish I had swine flu or something, I dont think anxiety is taken seriously as an illness.

Reading this thread: