Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,633 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

Anyone tried meditation ?

20 years ago 0 239 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jimmy, A lot of people on this forum are very open minded and use meditation as a coping tool. I offten read people recommending Yoga and such. It is a very interesting field. Meditation is rapidly beginning to be taken seriously by science and medicine. I'd love to talk to you and share information on this. My email is suedett77 @ hotmail.com You, or anyone else for that matter, can add me to your MSN list if you use it. Take care and looking forward to hearing from you. :) Oh and you're very welcome for the kind response lol. ps. I put spaces in my email address so it doesn't show up as an url..just reduces spam mail from whatever servers etc.
20 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Excellent Sky. That was a really interesting reply. You clearly defined what I was trying to say. Thanks. I'm from Perth (Western Australia) and would love to catch up if you wanted to share info or talk about all this. __________________ You are so right. The core of the problem is anxiety and meditation is the ultimate natural way to combat anxiety. The way I see it, relaxation/meditation is the complete opposite to anxiety and stress therefore it makes sense to use this technique. __________________ If you look at studies, you can see the benefits of lowering your anxiety levels using meditation for long term results. I understand that meditation is something that can't be forced on someone, much like religious beliefs, so I will not mention it anymore unless asked. When the person is ready to learn, they will seek it out. __________________ Thanks everyone for listening. I know the subject of meditation is very misleading and hard to explain with the lack of hard evidence and accessable teachers and I am glad that the replies I got are possitive and not taken as though I think that the solution is a single track. I know that everyone deals with challenges differently and that all peoples bodies are also different. Thanks for your patience. May your solution find you. _____________ Also , thanks to Melanie for her kind words. Yes it is a huge area and it will be interesting to see the growth of meditation as a solution many illnesses. If anyone is in Perth Western Australia and needs help finding an amazing therapist that teaches meditation, I can give the details of one.
20 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jimmy, Thanks for posting this interesting message! We hope that you will continue to visit us :). If anyone needs any help finding any information in their area we would love to help out. Great to hear things are workking out for you Jimmy! Take care, Melanie
20 years ago 0 239 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
ahh Hello Jimmy and welcome! I have relatives in Australia, I'm headed down there for Xmas. I really understand where you're coming from with meditation. I've found it works wonders for me too. I've never taken anything for Panic disorder. Just because I believe the best way to deal with this is to tackle the way it began in the first place. With my thinking and attitude. I also think this is the best way because taking meds, to me at least, would be only suppressing the symptoms. So I kinda fear that it would maybe create a bit of denial, creating a psychological addiction. Thus making recovery longer. Also based on peoples stories, I've noticed the best times people have with this disorder are when they're not taking anything. I guess it's independence that makes it so rewarding and builds strength. Everyone’s situation is different. But I know within myself if I took any medication for Panic Disorder I'd most definitely get all panicky about taking the medication and I'd just end up going backwards, lol. Like I said everyones different and no two situations are alike. This is just my way of coping with it and so far so good. :)
20 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, my name is Jimmy and I'm from Australia. I've had panic attacks for about 7 years now and I rarely have them anymore aslong as I meditate 1-2 times a day for 20 minutes each time. From what i have read, it seems that my symptoms are somewhat in the middle of all the other posters. First of all i respect everyone for talking about it on this forum and i will try and give everyone another tool in dealing with the sympoms of panic attacks. I have read about half of this messageboard, so if i am repeating someone else, then please feel free to tell me and to direct me to that area. **************** I went to a therapist to deal with my initial symptoms and she advised me not to take drugs. Instead she said that the only way to combat the disorder is to get to the crux of the matter. By teaching me to meditate, I have overcome almost all of my fears and symptoms and I also have received other health benefits. I stongly recommend that if people find that they are not happy with their current plan of attack, that they get taught how to meditate. I was absolutely astounded at how well this works. I now feel calm all the time, and all my dreams are coming true in my career and hobbies. ************ Please don't think that I am bragging, I am simply telling the truth in hope that everyone can feel the same. Meditation has no side effects, is absolutely the most natural remedy and works! ************ Because I live in Australia, I can't recommend any teachers O/Seas but you should look them up under stress management and meditation. It is best to be taught by someone who understands agoraphobia too. ************ Eat well and often, meditate atleast once a day for 20 mins and run on the park for 20 mins once a day (afternoon before dinner). This may not work for everyone, but it worked for me and I hope everyone can feel good, cos agoraphobia sux.[size=2]Text[/size][color=Brown]Text[/color]

Reading this thread: