Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,662 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ, Julia725, RFULLERO

Welcome Lynn!

20 years ago 0 30 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lynn, I was reading your post and Melanie's reply and I agree that you have to start taking care of yourself first! And you shouldn't worry about being selfish, because when you think about it, if you're taking care of yourself, you're better able to feel comfortable around others. I know this is going to sound very Oprah or Dr. Phil-ish, but no one can make you unhappy but yourself. I obviously don't know your partner, but it does sound like he cares and is not noticing what you're noticing about yourself. I know it's hard and we all have our own feeling of inadequacies (I'm also 28, and get depressed because it seems EVERYONE is married or at least not living alone - of course, that's not true, but we often have tunnel vision when it comes to these things.) I also like the idea of writing down what makes you happy...maybe you can keep a journal and write down whatever made you happy that day no matter how insignificant it seems at first. Well, I've rambled on enough - take care! :)
20 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lynn, After reading your post I can say that your are such a nice person!! Nice people always put others before themselves :). This is a great trait to have but your point is, "I'm much more concerned with how my symptoms are affecting my partner and less concerned with how they impact me" I think this is where you should start! Maybe turn this point around to thinking of yourself first. If your partner is aware of your feelings then they should be there for support and to listen. So, for the next day, week or month until you can answer this question. Find yourself! What I mean is "What makes you happy"? and "What makes you unhappy". I hope that I have lead you in a positive direction Lynn. Use our Panic Diary daily to list your concerns and feelings. I wish you all the best and please continue to post your thoughts and concerns. Melanie
20 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Melanie, thanks for your reply. I took the Anxiety test as you recommended and was surprised to find how many symptoms I checked yes too! It's odd when you start to articulate exactly what you're experiencing...kind of scary as well though... I'm much more concerned with how my symptoms are affecting my partner and less concerned with how they impact me. I've learned to adapt to many of the challenges associated with my problem (i.e., I don't turn on the lights when I go into a room with a mirror, I avoid contact on days when I'm feeling particularly distraught, etc.) But when it comes to living with another person and trying to combine two lives and two schedules into one, it gets a lot trickier! The other thing I've noticed is how one issue can actually become ten times worse when I start to feel guilty about it. It becomes this snowball effect that can't be stopped until I explode. The problem itself becomes secondary to the fact that I feel like a bad person /wife /friend /daughter /sister /employee...What do I work on first: making it MY own personal problem again? convincing people I'm trying to change? Tackeling the cause? Managing the effects???? It seems like too big of a problem to manage and I get overwhelmed and discouraged...
Hi Lynn, Hope you do not mind that I started a new post for you. I just did not want you to get lost in the shuffle. Thanks for posting your concerns with us today. I believe the first step here is to understand why you are thinking the way you do. Are these feelings due to your "body dismorphic disorder" or is it something different? Think about this and then move on to the next question. Take tiny steps Lynn. You have come here for some support and guess what? You are going to get tons! We are positive and supportive and we hope that you will continue to find answers to your questions and concerns. So let's get started!! If you look to the left of the screen under "TOOLS" you will see The Anxiety Test. Over the next day or so please go through the test and see what your results tell you. You can print them out for future reference or e-mail them to your Doctor. There are more "TOOLS" for you to check out Lynn! Please go at your own pace and be sure to let us know if you need any direction. Good luck and we will be looking forward to your response :). Melanie
From Lynn: Hey there. Just dropping in to say hello and introduce myself. I'm a 28 year old professional who has finally acknowledged that I need outside help in dealing with my anxieties. I was diagnosed with body dysmorphic disorder when I was in my late teens and have been suffering for over a decade. Currently my biggest problems are my fear of public gatherings and the ridiculously high expectations I put on myself AND the way I push my partner away physically because I think I'm undeserving of his affection (plus I don't like him getting too close to me because I'm afraid he'll notice my flaws). I'm at the point where when he tries to hug me I freak out and feel extremely clausterphobic...it's an aweful feeling and I'm afraid I'm going to drive him away. He's very kind and understanding but I still worry which seems to only compound my anxiety! I just need someone to tell me how to start the process of changing these old habits so I can relax and start liking myself again. I'm not even sure if this is the right forum for my situation, but I figured I better start somewhere! Any advice on where and how to start would be greatly appreciated!!

Reading this thread: