Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

I'm introducing myself....

21 years ago 0 1062 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Natasha. Welcome! Many people report that pot preceded their having panic attacks. Some research I've read recently backs that up too. Good for you for quitting it completely. I hopw you take advantage of what our site has to offer. Nice to have you with us!
21 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, my name is natasha. I am 27 years old. I smoked alot of pot for 3 years. I guess for the same reasons as you. To have fun, or just to relax, then I depended on it. I always felt I needed it to fall asleep. Anyways, One joint, turned into, 2, then 3, then 4 etc....a day. At first I had alot of fun smoking it, but then it turned out, not so fun. I started getting very bad panic attacks. I was rushed to the hospital twice. It was the scariest thing I have ever been through. ANyways, the bad thing about them is once they start, there is always a chance for them to come back. The good thing is, once you had one, you learn how to control them. My panick attacks were getting so bad. I was getting minor ones about 3 times a week. I ended up getting so sick of pot, that I completely quit. The bad thing was, my nerves were so shot, that the panic attacks continued. I realize I may always have them, but I also have them under control. I will never, smoke a joint in my life again. I can't believe I lived that way before. Its not life, its not reality. I am on medication now, and I don't regret it one bit. It keeps me calm, I deal with things much better, and I hardly ever feel nervous. I don't feel stoned either. I just feel like my mind is very clear. I think maybe you can control your panic attacks, without taking medication, but I believe it also depends on how far your nerves are shot. and there is nothing wrong with getting help. you just have to keep in mind, its a temporary thing, and you are helping yourself. Just make sure you ask your doctor for a medication that is not habit forming, and you will be fine. Anyways, I hope I was some help in anyway. Goodluck....and stay calm. :)
21 years ago 0 73 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ohhhh I COULD soooooooo relate to EVERYTHING you said here yesterday!!!! You sound just like me and what happens in my head!! I remember when I was 18 (it wasn't THAT long ago for me ;) ) and my life did not "look" like what I thought other 18 yr olds did, probably there's a lot of us who felt/feel the exact same way as you -- what I heard the MOST in your last post - is what happens when we isolate -- if you've struggled with addiction, etc. and you're lacking financial aid - right now, and since you're asking for some clear direction and help -- open your phone book and call Alcoholics Anonymous. Go to the next meeting - I have a feeling, if you speak what you just 'spoke' here you will get even more support. If you're already going to a 12 step program/support group, then keep going -- It is helpful - crucial - to me to have both -- both support here and "live" support in my life --people I can call and trust and people I can SEE - because when left alone with my brain, ooooh, gets me in trouble...mind you, it took a little time and a LOT of 'showing up' to trust people and let them in to my world but it can help and save you in times of overwhelming fear..... I'm hearing from you too that you're not ready for a doc, ok, I didn't/couldn't either my first year of sobriety, both because of no $$ or insurance as well as a pretty high level of fear and insecurity associated to being vulnerable to someone else's opinion (tranlsated in my head often as judgement ;) ) -- but we want to make sure YOU know that we can't diagnose you and we don't encourage self-diagnosis -- many of us (me ;) ) have gotten into trouble too many times doing that - self diagnosis, self medication - and, all the fear and doubt (and danger) that comes with that. There's a sense of relief when you see a doctor and he/she helps give you clarity, guidance and clinical information on what you are or aren't experiencing. I know that daze you're talking about, like I said I could relate to just about every single thing you posted, which is why I felt compelled to write back. Don't let your fears take over.... Anxiety and Panic are real but they can be dealt with and managed - we're all learning how..... So glad you're here!!!!!! :) And, I didn't say it earlier - but the mere f
21 years ago 0 1062 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to the site, Weary! Have you taken the Anxiety test yet? Rather than wonder if you have this or that, the test when brought to the doctors can help him to eliminate certain things and zero in on others, getting closer to answers for you. -- Anne-Marie, Site Administrator
21 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It's amazing how shared experiences and having people who understand can really help a person. I just have a LOT of emotions out of whack right about now. It's like my emotions are on my sleeve. I haven't had a full blown panic attack in a while, so I'm glad. It's kinda like a person just know's their limits. Although I'm still learning mine. I just REFUSE to give into them, by like, staying home, and stuff, cause I did that once before and it just seems that it get's worse that way. As far as the whole drug scene, I made it public that I want nothing to do with anything, pot, alcahol, nothing!! I can't barely handle the smell of a ciggarette.... LOL I'm honestly not sure if I have panic disorder, I mean yeah, I've had attack's and all, but they've sorta subsided. I still have that **** fear though. I think maybe it's depression. It's like, I have good days and bad days. Sometimes lot's of bad days. I sometimes feel like I have lost touch with reality. Like I become so introverted that I almost lose sense of time and stuff. I mean, I know where I'm at and all, it's just that sometimes I go into this daze, I fight it of course. It's like I'm just so TIRED of fighting my feelings. It's really frustrating. It's like, I'm 18 years old. I should be having fun, not worrying, and doubting, and being afraid of God know's what. Is that what depression is? And does it accompany Anxiety? Or is it one or the other, because for me it changes every now and then. It's either fear, or sadness. Sometimes I think I'd wrather die, but I'm not by any means suicidal. I just think it should be different.... So can any of you tell me WHERE to look for help? Keep in mind that financial aid isn't available for me. I really appreciate ALL the responses I'm getting from you. Thanks a LOT! It's good to know that I'm not alone in this.
21 years ago 0 17 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I had my experience with drugs and alcohol. I also had my share of panic attacks while smoking pot in high school. It wasn€™t till I was 17 after I had quit smoking pot that I would get panic attacks without pot. I have read other peoples experiences with smoking pot and suffering from panic attacks later in life. If they are related I do now know. I didn€™t get help with my panic attacks till I was 22, I didn€™t know their was a name for what I had, also I developed depression before I got help. I thought I couldn€™t handle life very well. I didn€™t want to take medicine either at first, but after the doctor told me how much they would help I gave them a try and it worked really well. Religion is good to. My family isn€™t very religious, but before I got help I made a spiritual effort for help, I still use it to this day. There is hope Luke :)
21 years ago 0 77 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
weary..You should never try to diognose yourself, and there are many public health clinics you can see to get some help. Drugs and alcohol may have amde things werse, but I doubt that they were the inital cause of the panic attacks. Something could have happend to you while using that you blocked, and could be the cause, or it could have been something years back that causes the triggers. Some people can go for years before all of a sudden, realize that something happended that you buried, and this hasn't come out yet. That could be the reason you turned to drugs and alcohol as well. If you have a panic attack, call the crisis line and they are very good at having someone talk you thru it and can give you suggestions as to where you can get help that is free for the asking. Don't be afraid of asking. And if you do get some help this way, use it!. You can't do this on your own. You need someone with the training and understanding of your problem to help you. I wish you luck, and post often. We're here for you and you can be here for us as well. LUV, SUZY.
21 years ago 0 36 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sasha, Wow, my experiences are so similar to yours. I was first diagnosed myself with a panid disorder when i was 18 also. However, my first episodes were all drug and alcohol related. I remember i used to smoke pot (not frequently, but a lot at one time), and i would ALWAYS have severe panic attacks. I always thought that it was just paranoia, which was apparently normal. I also thought to myself, people do this for fun???? Anyways, i finally made the connection that drugs=panic attacks for me, and have not touched any drugs for over 5 years, or any excessive alcohol in over 2. I also started having panic attacks at any situation where doing drugs or drinking would be expected of me (oh, those deadly expectations). I still have panic attacks, but i can now prevent those ones. I just had to publically quit drinking and such. People were more accepting of this than i expected, although some don't understand how i have any fun without them. If they only knew how much more fun i was having, without living in a silent and foggy hell!! However, i am medicated. These drugs do not cause panic attacks for me, b/c they do not alter my perceptive state. Do you know what i mean? I can still think clearly, and function normally. You also mentioned that you can't go to a doctor b/c of the cost. I can relate there too. The reason i stopped seeing my psychologist was b/c i had used up the amount that my health plan covered. Sad, but true. I'm from Canada, and am not familiar with the american health care system, but are family physician's covered by insurance? It was my family doctor who prescribed my anxiety medications. Anyways, i want to thank you sasha, b/c you've actually validated some of my own personal experiences. I hope you find what you're looking for! All the best!
21 years ago 0 37 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sasha.. Welcome to this site and (clap clap)for trying to self diagnos instead of self medicate. I am 36 now. I was about your age when I was first told that I had agorophobia and was likely the cause of my panic attacks... I only saw that councelor a bout a year.. made an attemp about 4 yrs ago w/ meds.. and now find myself trying again... I have survived all these years,but like SCBB.. by smoking grass. and in my young adult years booze. I have always managed to be in a possition of financial difficulty.. even now, as I cant go out and get a job (because of the panic) so I'm not contributing to the house $$.. as a young adult, The town I lived in had a 'community center' they were able to arrange counseling for me. Now, I live in a state that offers a state funded health plan, and my family qualified for that..(as did my single 18 yr old neice that lives with us) If these things arent available Id say try calling the hospital in your area.. they may be able to direct you... Lady
21 years ago 0 73 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sasha and Welcome. I too used to "self-medicate" and was totally afraid of taking anything after I got sober (3 1/2 yrs now). I can understand the financial difficulty in seeing a Dr. or Therapist - although, if at all possible I would strongly recommend it (a clinic maybe?). I don't think you "have" to go on meds or therapy but I do think when you suffer from anxiety & panic that you do need help & support from others if nothing else. Are you in any sort of 12 step program? Many people in recovery from drug & alcohol abuse suffer from anxiety,panic & depression - and while none of us can diagnose you, we can certainly help support you and build coping mechanisms. Most of us are learning just like you how to deal with anxiety and panic - and ultimately the fear of the "next" attack. Also,for me personally (and I've heard the same from others), "detox" and panic attacks were hand in hand....as I moved out of detox mode and my body balanced out more the panic attacks pratically went away - although anxiety has always been a problem. Did you take the anxiety test? (there's a link to the left) -- that might help too. I don't know if I helped, but, if nothing else, know that you're not alone. I hope to hear more from you soon. Let us know how you're doing!! :) with love & compassion, -SCBB

Reading this thread: