Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Can anyone help .... please.

14 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Joey,
that's nice to know that you see your progress. Thanks for sharing. 

14 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi joey hows it going
14 years ago 0 37 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I hadn't been on in a long time .... I thought that  I was currently at my worst.  Looking back at some of the things I'd writtened in the past though has made me realize how far I have come.  It feels pretty good.  My way of thnking has changed drastically.  I see alot of negativity in what I wrote. I think I'm gonn be allright. Thank you all for your support, and just taking the time to respond.
14 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My thoughts are with you.
It's really frustrating how people will never get it until they get it. 
But thanks for sharing and hang in there.

14 years ago 0 192 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You're welcome Joey.  Pls. don't give up, we all care and going through the same thing - maybe we are in different stages, but we understand.
Thank you Sunny123.  I appreciate your time.
I remember the two steps back and nothing forward kind of feeling.  kind of discouraging and left me wondering if I'll ever get better.  After awhile with practice and patience, the two steps backwards become, one step forward and only one back.  Then it moves to two steps forward and only one back - and then, two forward and stays there for awhile.  Now, you may still have a setback once in awhile, but with the information you are learning from the CBT work, practice and positive affirmations, if you do step one backwards, I found it didn't last as long nor is it as frightening.

I joined because I was starting to feel a few symptoms coming to visit me - lol.  I haven't had a panic attack for over 15 yrs. so I know that you can get better.  And I am not on any medications except for my high blood pressure. I thought a refresher course (I took CBT before) would be helpful and I find that it truly is helpful to review and figure out where my triggers are.  I was very stressed because I had been ill and was awaiting surgery, but as I mentioned before it all went well and I can feel more relaxed and am starting my walking again. I'm also sleeping better which helps to feel good the next day.  A good night's sleep is really important especially when you are anxious/stressed - you're so worn out.

Years ago I remember I was anxious to go grocery shopping - in the store I would start to get heart pounding, weak legs, that sort of thing.  I went anyway and told myself that the handle on the cart was my safe place.  I could hang onto that and wait it out, read some labels while catching my breath, and nobody ever knew what was happening.  Sometimes I would get home kind of wiped out, but I made it, and told myself I did well.  For everything you do anyway, give yourself a pat on the back.
Another thing I did was to tell "it" the heart pounding, etc. to just go ahead, I was busy, had things to do, so go ahead and do what you want, I'm too busy to pay attention.  Well using that form of paradox works...when there is no fear, when you give it permission to go ahead and do what it has to do, it starts to go away.  
Ooops, I've been going on a bit here.
I hope these suggestions are helpful to you.  Still saying a prayer for you.
Thanks for the input,  I had a rough day yesterday cause my gf went to the next town to be in a parade and was gone all day. I stayed at my sister's apartment.  Today she's off again to seaworld she'll won't be back till tomorrow.  As far as where I am at on the program I've kinda gotten stuck on exposure. It seems for every step forward it takes me two steps back.  Yesterday was hard even though I was with my sister.  I continue with negative thoughts.  My sister is an alcoholic, she sleeps all day, her car is old and in an emergency it could strand us ... etc. pure negativity.  I've been working on that.  Trying.  She is more easily manipulated, if I need to flea she'll respond, which again is the wrong choice.  It enables me.  So today I'm gonna stick it out with my father who had anxiety when he was younger but has not really been as compationate as I'd prefer him to be.  He won't respond when I have a panic attack and that makes me feel more insecure but, I believe he does it for my own good.  I know he loves me.  For twenty years it's been just me and him through the bad and the good and hopefully now worse.  If I have anything to share about my experience with anyone it's don't enable yourself.  Don't stop driving because starting back up is harder than you might think.  Don't avoid anything it maybe that you are avoiding.  Don't stop living.  Oh and don't read too many medical books lol.  The less you know the easier it will be if you're a constent worrier.  I thank you all for being so positive and just being here.  I'm so glad I found this site and it has been there when I have had nowhere else to turn.  Thank you! 
Hi Joey:  you are welcome! 
Hope today goes better for you...did you read some of the program today? Where are you in the program - if I may ask.  Don't mean to be nosey, just wondering. You don't have to answer if you don't want to.

I have had trouble walking long distances - my usual hour walks, were down to 10-15 minutes - because I was afraid of going too far and not being able to get back.  I just had some surgery about a month ago and it was successful and feel great! so yesterday, I walked almost an hour and it was all okay.  I have a dog too and she is such good company, she must have wondered yesterday how come we walked so far.  We walked again today about 1/2 hr. but only because it is dark, cloudy and starting to spit.  Rain again! so came back early.
A trick I have for walking is this: (just thinking it might help you in another type of situation).  If I walk all the way to the beach and back, it is about an hour's walk.  So, when I get to the beach, I tell myself that one of the benches can be a safe place to rest if needed and take a few minutes to watch the swimmers, the geese, ducks, whatever,  etc.  and then start back.  This has helped me before, but I didn't need it at all yesterday. 
Thinking of you and saying a prayer again today for you.
14 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Joey,

Sounds like you had a bad day. I am sorry about that woman's comment.  She clearly does not have a good understanding of mental illness.  It is sad that people working in a hospital can be so uninformed.  You did not deserve that judgement and neither did your girlfriend.  But try not to let it bother you.  Maybe one day she will look back on that day and be ashamed of what she said. 

Have you tried working through the program? Have you found it helpful? 

Have you tried looking into community services in your area?  They may be able to refer you to a support group or counsellor you can seek help from.  They may even be able to help you seek funding to see a psychiatrist.

In the mean time keep posting and reading through the program.  There is a light at the end of this tunnel.

We are all here for you and we will get through this together.

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: