Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,651 Members

Please welcome our newest members: OJOIZA ALTHEA, PKENNETH LANCE, JSABAS, ASHAINE, EFAJARDO

Is There a Quick Fix?

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Megski

It is more than having too much information it is being able to access to much information. It is being able to compare all that information and situations with the present situation. The less happening around you the less you have to compare to your memory. So what about the snow storm? In a snow storm your world shrinks down to two things, snow and the road. Nothing else matters. Sitting by a freeway would be terrible because there is so much happening. Another person in the car that can drive again shrinks your world down to the road and that person. 
It is about control. The amount of the situation you can control verses what you can not. Neutralizing what you can not stops you from comparing it to memory and leaves you free to just drive CBT teaches you to compare situations to happy memories which are short lived rather than sad which play over and over. Short lived memories allow you to concentrate on what you are doing by only interfering for a short time. Negative thoughts are survival thoughts and they last till you get rid of them crowding your ability to concentrate on driving. This leads to panic.

Davit

Some simple things can break a panic attack some times. Like checking the oil and spare tire. making sure all the doors are closed. This is simply changing the focus and breaking the negative thought that triggered the panic.
10 years ago 0 96 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley,

yes definitely plan on doing this board form. I also have supportive friends here.
thanks Davit and I fully agree and have noticed this myself. I can tell you're also highly intelligent and it can be problematic. We simply think too much or know too much haha. 

The funny thing with me is if someone else is in the car who knows how to drive I'm perfectly fine, even when I drove through a snowstorm/bad roads about two months ago (or more like six weeks ago) before moving out to west. I was perfectly fine. It's driving alone. But I've noticed out here I can drive somewhat, compared to back east when driving alone I could barely make it down the driveway, here I am zipping a few blocks here and there and lucky me all I need is around my comfort zone (shopping  necessities). Still progress to be made!
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ashley 

If you look at the definition of quick fix as one word, there is. The internet is full of books selling just this. I even have one that works within the context of the meaning. Medication is the other quick fix.

But as a quick permanent fix the answer is no. All the quick fixes including mine are coping skills that will have to be repeated each time they are needed. Including medication except that medication takes no work. Take a pill and you are effortlessly okay till it wears off.  Any Therapist worth their wages will tell you wanting to and using a mantra of this type will get you through the moment if you believe strong enough but it too is not a permanent fix. It is a step toward changing thought patterns on top of the obvious distracting effect. But alone it is not a cure. Done right it works but still is not the answer. How people perceive things, their attitude and their ability to believe is. And that takes time. Even CBT good as it is is only information. The person has to understand that information to be able to use it. Done only half way and it too becomes only a quick fix. 
For some distractions and self talk will allow a person to drive but can be in heavy traffic as dangerous as medication. I remember being on meds and having such a slow reaction time I missed intersections I wanted.
Now when I drive all I think about is driving. Even blinding snow storms don't bother me. I'm cautious but not scared.
But it is just a part of the overall changing of thought patterns. 
Being in a confined space in a confining area with restricting rules to follow and changing flow patterns should by rights give all of us panic. Add on top of that many other minds doing and thinking things you don't know and you have more for concern. But if you want to be there and if in your mind all these confining things are aids not hindrances then they don't matter. But that is CBT and only works if you use it. It is as it says, only therapy. But does it work. Of course it does. It did for me. Or am I just more dedicated to making it work.
A final word on meds, Some people need to be on an SSRI even if they don't want to. A few even permanently. This is just a statistical fact And as far as I am concerned and this is all just my opinion, it has to be decided before anything else. Trying to fix something without the tools does not work.
End of comment.

Davit
10 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sorry, there is no quick fix to overcome a driving phobia or any mind disorder for that matter. None that I am aware of that are evidence based.

You could talk to your doctor about medication and this could mask the anxious symptoms that prevent you from driving but this would be a choice you and your doctor would have to agree upon. Treatment like continuing with this program would be important in the long run.

Ashley, Health Educator
Is there a super quick way to overcome a driving phobia? I mean even if it's painful as long as it's 100% guaranteed or at least guaranteed not to make you feel worse? 

Reading this thread: