Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

I have a Question About Doing Exposure.

10 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you all so much
10 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jeandavi2,

This is hard to say as only you can determine what is too much for you. I think generally if you are already partaking in these activities then don't START to avoid them. But if you have been avoiding them for some time now then slowly start exposing yourself to them. When doing exposure work you should have mid range anxiety. It is also important to set some goals for yourself.

So where are some areas you would like to improve? Which areas would you like to focus on first?

Ashley, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jean

This is where I differ since there are two schools of thought on exposure, you will have to decide which is right for you. One is doing exposure till the saturation numbs you to the situation. The thought behind this is that if you do it enough you will get used to it. It actually works for some but the problem as I see it is that it is still there. 
The other way is to build relaxation skills and coping skills so that when you do exposure it is a marker of how well these skills let you handle the exposure situation. I prefer this one because by building these skills you can make the exposure null. You can take the fear out of it rather than just building a tolerance. The first assumes you will build the skills because of it. The second assures you have the skills before it. I prefer the second, but it depends on personality which will work best.

Davit
10 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi. I have recently been wondering about exposing myself to my feared situations instead of avoiding them, the thing is: Should  on my daily basis I already have to expose myself to situations I fear anyway like going to school,buy thing in the grocery store etc. so should I continue to face this situations with a high level of anxiety or just expose myself  to one situation at a time by doing a graduate exposure therapy as CBT says?
Thanks in advance 

Reading this thread: