Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,501 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Seeking Suggestions/Advice for Exposure Plan

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
jaeson

The majority of if not all things to do with panic have a root in control. Take normal anxiety and panic. It happens because something is happening that you have no control over. It goes when you either accept this or get back control. More often as acceptance since there is a vast amount we have no control of. Now that is a dangerous piece of information. Do we want to think of all the things we have no control of. Not likely. But the one thing we have and many don't realize is we have control of how we see these things. Take going to a grocery store. I have to go, is negative and causes stress because I do not have control. I'm going because I want to is positive and gives me control. Two simple words with similar meanings but one is negative, one is positive. And it works.
So now you need to look at your morning attacks and figure out the trigger. My 2 AM attacks were all claustrophobic. (I'm not claustrophobic except in thought) I've been in many a tight place. I took back control by saying " I would never do that". See if you write down what is happening when you have a full blown panic attack you discover two things. One is that your coordination is off so it is almost impossible to do it till it passes. The second is that your thinking is warped. The trigger is not possible or not relevant. Usually not relevant as in I would never do that or that would never happen. Third possibility is a core belief telling you the opposite. So how do you take back control in these situations or do you even need to. Remember there is acceptance which you use subconscious in most situations. Like riding a bus. The driver is the one with the control. You can accept this as most do or take control by telling yourself you are on this bus because you want to be, not because you have to be.
This exercise is a simple adjunct to the relaxation and coping skills you need before you jump to far into exposure.
Let me know if this helps in your situation. You may have to dig a bit to find a way to take control from your attacks but I'm sure that unless it is the side effect from a medication there is a reason for the attack and a way to take back control.
Sometimes as simple as saying go away. Core belief based are harder to deal with since they have you convinced they are right, if not they would not be core beliefs but just thoughts.

Davit
10 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Davit for the kind reminders.
I am still working on my daily morning attacks which I am not getting any closer to overcoming them. I know where I am going wrong in this but I am going backward through the program again. And you had suggested, am going slow now reviewing the core beliefs that I did not realize had been there. I hope to see some new lights soon.:-)
jaeson

Thank you.
I am so glad to see your success. It is certainly a good start. You know it is only the beginning though. The more you learn and change the more doors it opens and the more changes you will have to make. The load will get heavy as improvements speed up and this will lead to set backs if you have very strong core beliefs. You have the knowledge and the tools and most of all you have support. Your goal may change too as you find things you thought impossible are now only a challenge. Go slow and there will be fewer if any setbacks. Most of the setbacks I had were when a new piece of information destroyed what I previously thought. Core beliefs did not want me to accept these truths. Core beliefs said how can this be so. Challenging them proved they were either right or wrong, no in between. And with no Maybe it is easier to change those thoughts that are wrong. And that changing thought patterns is CBT.

Davit
10 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Jaeson, 

Thank you so much for sharing your success with us. It is great to hear that the exposure work sheets and homework is helping you. 
Continue to push forward!

Samantha, Health Educator
Davit,
What you had shared was indeed an eye opener for me and a subject for me and others to explore further. Thank you!

I wish to share here a benefit which I had achieved since joining this program. I had just a 3-day hectic training work. Normally I would have experienced intense symptoms prior and after the work but never during the training. This time I filled up my goal sheet, the Exposure Planner and the Exposure Tracker in detail several days before the training and I  reviewed and tracked them at the end of each day. I found that I was actually calm when I reviewed the planner and tracker each night, no fluttering and trembling. And the night before the training when I normally could not sleep well, I slept like a log. And the wonderful thing was there was a feeling of triumph and achievement at the end of the job instead of the usual trembling and palpitations. The goal sheet etc did help this time.
10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
A personal example of exposure shows how behaviour changes naturally over time.  Pigeons cooing have become commonplance to me, without disrupting my sleep, whereas in the past, I was disturbed.

I have too many competing demands to hardly notice this morning annoyance.
10 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit,  Thank you for sharing your insight!  It will no doubt help many understand their situation and understanding of anxiety and panic. 

Vincenza, Health Educator
I forgot to mention two things. Positive thoughts like happy thoughts are short lived because they are not needed for survival. Therefore a person has to stay positive. Second point is that you need a balance because negative thoughts are survival thought and keep you from doing stupid things like stepping out into traffic. Negative thoughts tell you when you are about to do something that could be hazardous. They come from past experiences or learning. They are not all bad but too many at once can affect attitude. CBT gives you the balance so you can choose the most appropriate thought for the situation. Caffeine a drug like a lot of drugs can increase the number of thoughts and kind of thoughts to any given situation. This can be good or bad. Good if you are normally a positive person, bad if you are negative. It can stimulate creativity and imagination but it can also stimulate unwanted random thoughts. During my worst panic years I could not touch coffee or any caffeine. Now I can.

Other drugs can cause the memory to skip into memory that is not associated with the thought at hand. This is hallucinations and can be caused by very heavy infections in the blood stream. The difference is the first you know is happening so you can panic, the second is so real you have no reason to panic unless the hallucination is about death. Few people get this sick but I have been. The problem with hallucinations is that they get stored in memory and can affect your thought process. Some great artists and writers used this memory to stimulate imagination. 

Now when I get too close to panic I reach for logical positive thought and compare them to the negative ones and the feeling goes away. Very fast too.

Yet yesterday I used negative thoughts while mowing near my pond so I wouldn't back into it. This is a good use of "what ifs". I ended it with my usual "I won" so I wouldn't end with a negative thought. Never end any situation with a negative thought, bury it. It will still be there if you need it.

Balance, it is all about balance. The right balance and the right technique and you can handle anything.

Davit
Hello jaeson

To answer your question I first have to explain how the mind works.

Unlike animals we are born with very few inherited instincts and actually very little in our minds. Over time we fill it and it dictates who we are and how we think. Like most people I used to think life just happened day by day. Not so. Everything in our lives is dictated by memory of past thoughts and actions.
This is called a thought triangle or when negative a panic triangle. It is not well known and I got it from my therapist. It makes sense tough and is an eye opener.
Every thought and action is dictated by this triangle. It also happens very fast so you won't notice it till you have a panic attack.
This is how it works:
A stimulus sets off a thought to do something (first corner) that thought goes to memory (second corner) so see what it knows about this thought. Memory dictates the action that will happen from the thought from the first corner. This action (third corner) then recycles back to the first corner to stimulate the next thought and back to memory for future reference. This thought on the thought or action from the third corner now goes to the top of the pile in memory and is the first accessed in an associated thought from the first corner. If the next thought is not related it won't be used but never the less it will be stored for future. The mind has an immense capacity for storage.
Lets say the thought in the first corner is a trigger. The memory searches for past reactions to this trigger and tells the third corner what to think or do. This is the fight or flight syndrome of panic. If it doesn't have an appropriate action it will recycle back to memory and go round and round the triangle till it finds an appropriate one or decides to shut down because the thought is not logical. Akin to getting side tracked. This not being able to find an appropriate action to act on or store is part of the confusion that happens during a panic attack. The other symptoms are survival reactions to panic in general. Racing heart, heightened awareness etc. But some can be warped because of past memory.
CBT works by changing thought patterns between the second and third corner so future triggers will not cause negative thoughts in memory and not cause a negative reaction in the third corner. This in turn will be stored for future thought at the top of the list. Not a guaranty since the mind does search for the best solution and here is where attitude comes in. If you want a negative solution you will get one if there is one in memory. 

So to answer your question, low esteem makes a person tend to think negative and these negative thoughts will be used in associated situations. Low esteem is associated with core beliefs which are associated with attitude which can reinforce or break a core belief whether it is negative or positive. Core beliefs greatly affect esteem. Core beliefs can cause what we call the blues which is mild depression of the thought kind rather than the chemical kind but since it uses up mood chemicals it can over time turn into it. Depression of either kind causes negative thoughts that affect the triangle and it becomes a vicious circle that has to be broken by CBT. 
Meds only slow down the amount of thoughts with some blocking access to negative ones. This can be dangerous but the worst part is the thoughts are still there and unless you replace them with CBT processes they will come back with a vengeance when the meds are stopped.

Davit

Hi Davit,
Thanks for the information and advice. They really help in calming me down. My goal has always been to eradicate panic attacks completely and go back to life as before. Your post sets me thinking that perhaps I should change my daily intention - To remain unperturbed during panic attacks, let them be and let them pass.

I am aged 60, 5'5" and weigh 58kg. I am still working actively. Other than hypothyroidism I am healthy otherwise. I am interested to know how self-esteem can play a part in panic attacks. Would you care to enlighten me regarding this?

Hi Vincenza,
Thanks for responding. I find the whole program most helpful. The information and the worksheets for homework make it rather easy for me to be committed to the program. With the Symptom Tracker I am able to compare and track my attacks. In the Forum and Questions to the Expert, I can find answers to questions that have been bothering me. Also I realized that there are others who are actually suffering the same symptoms as me and this actually makes me feel more secured (knowing that I am not the odd one!). 

I do keep a journal on my symptoms and attacks including food that I take in order to find the triggers associated with the palpitations and attacks. I drink green tea everyday but had tried stopping for days before but still getting the palpitations so had ruled it out. I suppose because the practice of mindfulness easily get me out of attacks, I was not persistent enough in finding the triggers for the attacks. I find that this may hamper Exposure work and create a sort of avoidance for me. What do you think?

Jaeson

Reading this thread: