Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,499 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Excuses For Not Doing Exposure Planning/Desensitization/Homework or Anything I Wish to Escape

12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I had a small situation where I overcame choking during a class while speaking during short introduction I made during an "ice breaker exercise".  I had to swallow since I heard my voice disappearing, and just continued after that.  It was difficult since it was in a classroom of women, and I was the only man, so I felt self-conscious since the instructor kept pointing out that I was the only man. 

I was already flooded with self-criticism, since my coat was too large(I've lost weight), I had mismatched my shirt to my pants(I think women are usually keenly aware of clothing) my collar was upturned, my socks were too short since I planned to go to the gym, and I wasn't as articulate as the others since there were professionals in the field.

I can counter most of this by stating that the course is the first after nearly six months of not doing anything regularly and I'm going to just resume feeling comfortable, my coat wasn't visible since I slipped out the door before anyone else, I can pay more attention to my dressing next week including using a mirror, I can write down my answer legibly before answering any questions(and I did answer two questions well without any others having the answers.  If I feel uncomfortable, I can speak to the instructor privately since she's a good facilitator.
12 years ago 0 373 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh, Davit - thank you for your words of advice!  Last night I had a good opportunity.  This past week, the doctors have put me on one antibiotic, thought is wasn't working - put me on a second antibiotic - I had an allergic reaction - and now I am back to the first antibiotic.  My stomach is in a funny state as a result.
Last night I was pretty frightened because I was so bloated that I was having difficulty breathing.  I decided to have the on-call doctor paged to ask questions.  He didn't seem happy to answer my questions and suggested I stop taking all antibiotics until I can talk to my doctor.  I decided to take my antibiotic last night anyway, knowing that the most harm it was going to do was to make me uncomfortable and anxious.  I decided, for the first time in a long while, to take 1/2 of my Lorazepam medicine.  Right away I was nervous about the Lorazepam and wondered if I had made a bad choice.  I finally thought of my new favorite picture (A girl and the monster that scares her having a tea party) and made peace with the fact that I was having symptoms and I was having anxiety.  Of course, I did this with the help of the Lorazepam, this time.  It sounds like I should do this without the Lorazepam for really good practice.  That sounds much better than some of the ideas suggested in the sessions (spinning around in a chair until I am dizzy, for one).  I think I am ready to take on whatever today might bring now!
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Carmie

You don't actually have to simulate panic as a planned thing. You can stay in a panic situation when it happens instead of escaping. Of course with an escape route in case you need it. I'll admit the first time there is the same terror, after all it is a real panic attack, but if you analyse it and accept it, it dissipates pretty fast. After one or two of these without ill effects then you can bring up the negative to simulate a panic attack without the concern that you have now. 
It is peace of mind and reduces the stress of wondering if you can actually do it.

Davit.
Counter statement for not wanting to simulate panic when I am feeling well. 

"I will be feeling well again soon enough"
12 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Here's a classic:  Why bother, nobody cares anyway.  (feeling sorry for yourself, being in the victim role).

Counter statement:  I'm not doing it for others I'm doing it for me and I'm worth it (for whatever reason, I want to, I need it, I enjoy it).

Sunny
Countering sounds great
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Here is probably the worst excuse of all. I'm retired so I don't have to do anything.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi hugs,

Another great thread. What if we could also add counter arguments beside each excuse? Do you think that would be helpful in challenging these negative thoughts?

Ashley, Health Educator
I haven't done my panic simulation homework yet.  Right now my excuse is a good one - I'm sick.  But other ones have been...ready for this...I'm well!  Sometimes feeling good and not feeling anxious makes me not want to do homework that would make me feel unwell for a bit.  When I am feeling well, I just want to stay that way. 
I wonder if others can add their "reasons" for not doing things to disarm  and laught at our negative thinking:

I'm too tired.
I don't feel like it.
I'll feel like it later.
Maybe it's not perfect.
I'm moody.
I'm distracted by these guys who have been building for a week and can't think straight anyway.
I'm not going to get anywhere anyway
No one will approve of it one way or another

Reading this thread: