Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,501 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

exposure to distressing thoughts - discuss Nov. Ask the expert question

13 years ago 0 356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi!

Dizzy it is true that it is hard to make good friends but I am also realizing it is probably hard for anyone to make new good  friends as an adult. partly because our lives are busy, but also due to other factors. when we are very young, anyone who likes to play the same thing as us is a potential friend. but even by age 4, our personalities fit with some people more so than others. I have been on a quest for "good friends" for a while. I am going to try to add a little bit more here about why I think that might be.

I disagree though that eventually you have to tell people everything about you including any health struggles. I used to think that was true but i am starting to believe that if people become friends and accept each other for who they are , they may never need to know the details of each others past. Caring deeply for someone doesn't necessitate knowing everything they have ever struggled  with. It does require some compassion though and just basic understanding that we all struggle at times and there is no shame in that. Everyone struggles with something. or at least most people do. and if we live long enough everyone faces something they struggle with. its just that culturally we want people to pretend they don't struggle. This makes me think about how Davit discussed in another thread here recently how many people on this site struggle with how they were told they "should" be. 

Being told what we should and shouldn't do is part of growing up however if our parents look to us to fulfill their basic needs, what we are going to be told we should and shouldn't do may be based on what our parent needs not what we need. this I believe can form the basis for co dependence and is pretty much the definition of it - someone else depended on you to give them what they needed when you were young and you oriented your compass towards the world so that you understand other peoples needs better than you understand your own. You become adept at taking care of others and neglecting self. I learned a lot of that from books and from this site but it sure matches up with my experiences when I was young.

I started this reply in regards to the issue of making friends, and ended with some observations and learnings I've had about people being told they "should" do this or that. The connection that I'll try to make is to say that even though I am working on living authentically (not just doing what i think i should do) doesn't mean others in my life are doing this same work. Which makes it hard to be closer friends to some of the people I know. I would like to be closer with them but they are busy doing what they think they should do. Its up to each of them individually to step out of that cycle of 'should' just like it was up to me personally to work to get out of it.

I like this site a lot because here are a group of people working hard to step out of the "should" which I am doing too so I feel some community. It is very good having this site to come to.

Davit - yes, I have come to believe that the negative core beliefs I have were passed down through generations. that is not an excuse but it is a helpful explanation. There are specific events in my family tree that indicate these beliefs run (ran) deep. If I stop believing them, I cut off the lineage so to speak. Which is very motivating. But isolating for me. I've cut off contact with the people who refuse to challenge these negative beliefs. Its as if the beliefs themselves are our heritage and no one else in my family wants to give them up yet. Oh well. That is why I come here. 
13 years ago 0 118 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Loves Trees

I have also come to the same conclusion that it is not easy to make fiends especially when you eventually have to tell them that you may have been incapacitated from fear for some time now. I am not going to lie to you and tell you that all people have no stigma attached to mental illness. However, i think you will find a core belief in what you said that it is not easy to make friends, this is your perception that it is not easy despite dealing with stigma. Perhaps like me, as the years of fear grew longer you noticed that you had less an less friends then before you developed panic attacks. You are relating you outside experience to a inner thought, you may have to change the inner thought or core belief. How you do this I do not know ask Davit or look for core beliefs in the internet or try the thought challenge sheet. As i ahve found out for myself there are many theories about what a core beleif is and there are just as many on how to get rid of them. If you have some psychological help maybe they can direct you in the right direction, however my social worker siad that you have to discover what works for you. So what i was asking her is where are the relevant theories on how to get rid of a core belief becuase if you go to a sight that tells you something about it then asks you to buy a book you have to sceptical about them.. 

Dizzy
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Loves trees

Good discovery. I found that discovering things that happened to me and others has given me a good understanding of why people act the way they do and knowing it is their core beliefs that are effecting them has made it possible to accept them more. Some times it is not their fault, some times it goes back generations. This discovery was like having a light shine the way on my path to freedom.
One more piece of baggage I discarded.

Here for you,
Davit.

Hi to everyone who has posted here. It took me a while to read through everything here. What a rich discussion this has become!

What Davit writes really resonates with me;  Tiana and dizzy your thoughts are really helpful as well.  

I agree with Davit that one can end up sidetracked into analyzing where the core beliefs came from  instead of working to cure them. I think for me there has had to be a balance. When I try to solve problems without knowing anything about their origins, I tend to feel a bit groundless. However, that is my own stuff, and another layer of the onion I am peeling is about the fact that groundlessness is a reality anyways, that even when we think we "know"why something happened, we do not always know 100% anyways. My point here is that for people reading this thread, investigating, analyzing and understanding where some core beliefs came  from can  be helpful to  some people. Most of the time in my experience it tends to lead to insights  abouot what we didn't get in  childhood, which can lead to insights into what we learned and didn't learn, etc...which of course ends up being related to core beliefs. It can sometimes help with the emotions towards the people who were around us (i.e. parents) because we can consider that these may have been their negative core beliefs as well.

Hi Dizzy,

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I agree about sleep hygiene and have benefited from prioritizing sleep over the  last couple years instead of disregarding my need for it sometimes to  get other  things done. 

You mention expanding my  social network. That is definitely something I have been working at for several years now. I have been finding that a lot of the people I encounter are quite self involved and uninterested  in friendships. I am paying more and more attention to the way people behave and in doing so, am mostly observing how few people I know who are interested in friendship. I won't give up though. I'll keep my eyes open to new friendships with people. 

13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Upsidedown,

Please don't be worried about causing controversy! There are lots of ideas and opinions in the world and we welcome them all here. In our role as Health Educators, we will jump in if we see information that could be harmful, offensive, or inaccurate.

Tiana, Health Educator
Upsidedown.

It is true you can not remove core beliefs but you can change your perception of them so they ate buried far enough to be not accessible, as close to forgot as possible. I know personally you can do this. I can not give you the site because it has advertising in it, but if you google core beliefs it is in the top three I think. One is very good and clear the rest are not so clear or good. It is an eye opener and you will know it because it explains what are not core beliefs so you will not waste time curing some thing that is not the cause. It does clear up a lot of confusion. 

Here for you.
Davit.
13 years ago 0 72 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Would love the names of the articles to read - from what I understand, core beliefs are not curable, they are ingrained.  Ican gain understanding about them and then proceed from there, but they will always be there.  Everything I have done and do is a result of these beliefs.  I just have to recognize why my actions were what they were becaue of these, etc. and so on.
I don't know what we are allowed to say and not say here, so I'll have to leave it at that.  Don't want to cause controversy.
Hi.

Just a short comment here. I think we are getting side tracked and worrying to much  on where core beliefs come from instead of how to cure them. There are some quite lengthy articles on how to change core beliefs. They don't give enough because they are wanting to sell you there help but the ones I read have enough information to explain the process of changing them. It is far too lengthy to put in here, besides it echo's what I have been trying to say. The internet can be full of crap especially if it has a price but the ones I read were quite good. I hope it is not just because I know what they are talking about. I hope it makes sense to you.

Here for you
Davit

13 years ago 0 72 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This my 'take' as a trans-personal therapist  - and of course it isn't the be all, end all -  as we do more healing and as they say ' it's like peeling an onion - there are many layers'.  Then, finally, if you've had the courage and fortitude and a great foundation (usually a strength drawn on spirituality or...), you get to the center, where all our 'crap' came from.  The core beliefs that are ingrained into us are from birth (in the womb) thru 5 - all we can do having recognized our patterns and thought processes that we continually acted out and finally realized,   is to figure out a way to bypass them.  They're not going away. They're all based on the survival needs - which boil down to feeling and being loved or not, to the ill thoughts our parents had during those years etc. We continually need to stay in reality, the here and now, when we get thrown into a panic attack, once we realize what triggered it, it becomes less and less.  much more detailed then this - just a synopsis.
A

Reading this thread: