Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,630 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

Growing stronger.

15 years ago 0 150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Not at all, Dazed.

One man's cure is another man's poison.  

I personally was on Citalopram for depression, and that also has some negative press.  I was just pointing out what I had heard about it. It's fantastic that it worked for you. 

15 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi

I do just want to clarify one thing... In no way am I promoting the use of paxil or any drug for that matter.  If I could have done this journey without I would have.  Unfortunately that was not my plight.  As for choosing Paxil.. I started this drug over 8 years ago so it was long before the recent lawsuits and long before the stories of the horrors of getting off of it.  That being said for me - this has worked and I will be forever grateful for gaining my life back.  For being able to enjoy and feel again - no longer consumed by anxiety, panic or anything else. 

Will it be a forever situation?  I have no idea what the future holds but I need to take it as it comes, face it and do what works for me.

As much as I always appreciate your knowledge and insight Darkblue I did feel a bit "put off" by your post. If I'm being overly sensitive forgive me ...

Dazed. 
15 years ago 0 123 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Darkblue, you're one positive dude.  Aaaand you have the vocabulary of a frikken webster's dictionary!  Of course I mean both in the best way, I truly have a great deal of respect for you.  Great deal on being cured! 

You know, in light of the whole anxiety situation and overcoming it, my mom gave me a poster a couple years back that I'm just now comprehending...well, maybe just comprehending it in a new light.  An old Lao Tzu saying is on it, which says: "Be Content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you".

And don't worry about not coming on all the time, when you do come back you have a way of speaking that good stuff.
15 years ago 0 61 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ah right, thanks darkblue, i think ill pass on it, got enough wierd feelings dont need any extra ones lol, like ya say it can work for some but not others and i wouldnt want to risk it

xx
15 years ago 0 150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Paxil is the brand name of paroxetine hydrochloride.  It is, arguably, the most effective Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs).

It's used to treat the whole spectrum of anxiety disorders - from OCD, panic disorder, GAD, etc.

It's success for some people can be remarkable, where others have failed. However, the controversy surrounding it is substantial.  It is made by GlaxoSmithKline (GSK).  Lawsuits were made against the company some time ago about withdrawl symptoms from the drug, and increased suicidalness in teens.  They settled out of court...

The drug name in the UK is called Seroxat.  There was a documentary about GSK withholding information they uncovered during clinical trials of the drug.  It's claimed by the BBC documentary that they did not release the full clinical trials data, which uncovered the drug's withdrawl effects and suicidal thoughts in teens.

I should state that GSK deny all these rumours feverently... But they also settled out of court... 

Personally, I think there is too much of a risk with this particular SSRI, especially when there are so many more out there.  Fluexotine (prozac) is the most commonly prescribed SSRI.  Lexapro (Citalopram) is a newer drug which does the same thing with (apparently) fewer side effects.

15 years ago 0 61 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi dazedmommy, can i just ask what is paxil and is it of your doctor? also well done on your recovery and journey, sound slike you are doing great, good luck with the future x
15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Darkblue and Dazedmommy - many congratulations on reaching this milestone of your journey!

It's so wonderful and inspiring to see that you have managed to conquer your fears and anxieties and that life is hopeful and bright and positive for you.

Thank you for sharing your successes and for the wonderful support you are giving many on this site!

Faryal, Health Educator
Ooops.. I meant I fought the battle long and hard WITHOUT medication until our daughter... sorry about that :)
Hi Karla

My story is in these forums somewhere...lol.. I started having panic attacks at 19 after a one off experience with E... That being said I was a typically anxious high strung over achieving type A child who had weird OCD quirks even back then.

I am now 35.  I fought the battle long and hard with medication until the birth of our daughter 10 years ago..then post partum made it very bad and the Obsessions were terrible and the attacks were non stop so when she was about 2 I gave in and sought help outside of the spiritual / philisophical/ psychological. ;).. During the hard years I coped with alcohol or didn't cope at all.. I had periods of agoraphobia and periods of peace.  Paxil was my lifesaver!!  It forever changed my life - gave me clarity to see what was happening and opened the door to the journey of wellness.  I was anxiety / panic free for 7 years.  Again triggered by baby #2 and weaning it came back hard and fast.  I was in denial though and got caught up in fighting it instead of accepting and getting better.   It was like I didn't want to face that "darkness" again... BUT I found the site - realized I wasn't alone and began the journey again..but different.  I upped my paxil (something I've never been able to wean off but at the time of relapse was only taking 5 mg per day)  and am now doing just great again.  I mean I am aware of my emotions and know tha this is part of me.. a way for my body to say something is not right or that things are too much...  It's not a bad thing (although it can feel that way at times).  It's something that makes me unique and something that has made me into the person I am.  A person that shows much more empathy than I once did, one who doesn't judge as harshly as I once did and one who truly appreciates all that I am blessed with as I know what it's like to feel a bit "empty" or lost...

You can do this Karla and I'm sure at some point my hormones may shift again and I'll need a helping hand up but knowing that I've done it before and with each time have come away feeling a little more enlightenened makes it a little less scary.  Fear is awful - I know that and I'd be lying if I said it weren't .   I've filled my life with positive things and people.  Having little time to waste on the negative or being consumed by people that are not understanding or just too self involved to be a part of my sanctum.  The journeys that seem the hardest are often the ones that reward us most.  The birth of my son was like that... It was an awful delivery and it was very touch and go for me for a bit BUT he's here and what a wonderful end result.  Was it worth it??!!  You bet...Was it terrifying?? The most... Did I learn from it?  Never a more poignant message...

We're here to listen Karla and encourage...if you ever want to chat ... I'm all ears :)

Karli aka Dazed Mommy

PS... I also deal with OCD obsessions which is pretty much controlled by paxil... So many of the anxiety disorders are intermingled...
15 years ago 0 94 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

hey just wanted to say well done, but just wondered how long you have both been suffering from panic attacks and did they just suddenly start getting better?just need a bit of light at the mo

Reading this thread: