Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Question´s about Panic Disorder

12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Josh. 

It is like this. If you take a motor that is not running right, say it burns oil and runs on half its cylinders. It would appear to be not worth fixing but the truth is that even if it has a cracked block it can be rebuilt. In panic disorders this is called recovery. That motor with proper care will last as long as its life expectancy. Same with your mind. But if you neglect that motor, forget the antifreeze, let it freeze. It won't last. Same with this disorder. Once you know what is causing your Agoraphobia then don't do it anymore. It is a bit more complicated than that but basically it has a lot to do with your attitude, perception and belief. 
You have the right attitude. Perception will get you thinking positive instead of negative and belief that you can do this will cure you. 
But be warned, we all have the potential to revert, so there will always be some vigilance but mostly it will be subconscious and you won't notice it. You will feel normal. 
Here is the only difference between being cured and those that have never needed to be.
When the so called normal people have an off day with some panic they attribute it to being tired or sick. You on the other hand know what is happening and the choice is yours whether to shut it down with the skills you learned or let it escalate. So in this sense at times you can only control it. 
The majority of the time I feel just as normal as everyone else. Better in fact some days because we all panic a certain amount, I just know what it is and don't let it bother me.
You will be able to do "what ever you want to do". With the key words "you" and "want".
Any thing you have the physical ability to do your mind will go with you. Fatigue will be fatigue not panic. You won't get shut down because your fight or flight has kicked in premature and won't shut down. This doesn't mean that things that are suppose to won't scare the hell out of you. But fight or flight will go back to working normal.

Once you learn some relaxation and coping skills, remind me and I will explain why you start to panic even before you do anything and why it only happens some times. Also how to stop it.
Do you understand what is meant by negative and positive thought? People don't ask so I don't know if they really understand. There is some cross over so some things that seem one can be the other depending on context. Any thing that is not doing you any good is negative.
You don't always have to avoid these as long as you realize what they are.
Getting complicated here.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Josh 2011:  I've done the program at least 3 times and each time pick up more than the last.  The first time is overwhelming, there is so much to learn and you are perhaps in a very stressful period of anxiety.  The second time you begin to understand it all so much better and can zero in on the topics where you may personally need more help.  Good luck.

Sunny
12 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Davit, Yes I found it more comfortable for someone to be with me, But I do go to certain stores alone, Sometimes its hard but sometimes it isnt. Has far has Panic Disorder an Agoraphobia are they just Treatable or Can they Cured? An Thank You Ashley I am Def. Doing my homework from Page 1 all over.
12 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Josh,

It looks like you already received some great advice from Davit. I don't have too much to add but I think going through the program again is a great idea.  Doing exposure work around going to the store would also be beneficial.  Print out the 10 questions to challenge negativity found in session 3 and refer to it whenever you find yourself drifting to thinking about panic attacks.

Davit is right. Panic is one of the most managable disorders there is. If you would like more information on the symptoms of anxiety please check out the education section.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Ashley, Health Educator
Josh.

My personal experience with valium and all I know of it is that it is an older Benzodiazapene. I first took it when I was twenty six, that was thirty five years ago. The newer benzo's are designer drugs used mostly for specific situations. Some have longer half lives. (the amount of time for it to clear.) Valium is good for a full day in most people. It can be used in split doses or multiple doses as long as the total does not exceed the daily dose. I have used it long term twice with no side effects and no need for withdrawal. But it was only five mg. because I am sensitive to it. In me it works in fifteen minutes. Now if I take it, it is for restless leg syndrome or pain. It is a good muscle relaxant. I also only use two mg. Some people use it just before doing something. You can do this but it is the wrong way and it creates dependence on it. It is best to take it at the same time or times each day preferably not during one of your anxious periods. (so it doesn't become a crutch.) 

Did you find it easier to shop with some one with you? This is a form of distraction. To use this properly you want to do exposure by separating yourself from them for short periods of time, increasing the exposure each time.

Spending time here can increase your anxiety but it also is exposure and a good source of information and support. It will be easier on Valium too. I definitely recommend you use this time and medication to do the program. 

Davit.
Thank You Davit, Your a BIG Help on here an I want to Thank You for that. I actually just got back from 3 Stores. I went with my Parents I felt a little nervous had the weak legs an WHAT IF thinking, But i just went with the Symptoms an I was ok. Davit my Dr. put me on Valium 10mg is that good for Panic Disorder? An Davit do you think I should read on ANXIOUS THINKING on here? Once again Davit your a Big Help On here an I appreciate everything you do, Once again Thanks.
Josh

Read the other post first, The following are adjuncts to it to make it easier.

Relaxation techniques are all described in the program. Box breathing seems to be the best in helping with panicky feeling and the easiest do do in a store.

Distractions are coping skills and are used mostly in the case of panicky or claustrophobic situations. ( a sub phobia of Agoraphobia ) 
They consist of doing any thing to take your mind off the panicky situation. Some are, looking at the floor and counting or looking out a window and counting or thinking of a song. 
In a line up, looking at people and thinking of what type of dog they look like, or bird or fish. Some people visualize them in there under ware. The point is to take your mind off the panic. This is why they put reading material and candy by the till. It is because you will use it for a distraction and most often buy it, even if you don't want it. 
So again first off tell yourself you are in control, you are there because you want to be. Make a mantra to repeat as a coping skill if it helps. Use distractions and relaxation. And start small. Escape when and if you have to, always trying to stay in control as long as possible. Over time the thought pattern will change and you will first do it subconscious and later as you load your mind with positive thoughts and experiences you will not need it at all.
If you want to know why this happened try to find my "panic triangle" here in previous posts.
I no longer have a mental fear of stores although I have a physical one. I have difficulty getting around now. I prefer to let some one else do it for me.

Davit.
Josh.

Hi.

To answer your questions in order of importance. Yes panic attacks are perfectly curable. It helps to know why you have them but that could take a log time and isn't really necessary to do what you want which is to stop the Agoraphobia. I do think though that after you do stop them you should continue with learning all you can about this condition so you will not have it just morph into some other aspect. But first to stop the Agoraphobia. 
It has nothing to do with the store or any other place you have trouble with. 
It is about control. The store is a trigger that leads up to it. Remember that panic attacks are all fight or flight. They are all about taking control away from you due to a perceived threat. (store) There really is no threat there it is perceived. CBT is about changing thought patterns.
You don't like panic attacks but ride them out anyway. How about we stop them instead of riding them out. The fact that you can ride them out is going to be a big help.
By the way I'm not allowed to prescribe being not a medical person but I know this works so the following is only information and how I did it. It worked for me and others so you can try it if you think it will work for you. In no way is it to replace the program, it is just to get you over the Agoraphobia.
First like I said it is about control. This is why you panic with just the thought, even before the action. Agoraphobia has a lot of sub phobias but all of them are about control.
When you have to go to the store you have a lot of things to deal with that are out of your control. By the way some of the following may seem confusing because panic messes with thought processes. Read it more than once if you have to. Also you need some relaxation and coping skills to use before you try this.
So the things that are out of your control. 
Traffic, crowds, position of the items you are buying, distance to specific items, number of people in the line up, speed of the cashier, noise. The list goes on but the point is that you have to deal with all of these things and you have little or no control over them. To add to my point. Is it easier to shop if the store is half empty? Yes? 
Ok. By now we should have established that the reason you have trouble is because you have less control than say brushing your teeth. 
But you are not a control freak right? Be no problem at all if you were.
Now for the rather simple answer via CBT.
You have to change your thought pattern from I don't want to do this, or I can't do this to, and this is about taking back control, "I am doing this because I want to, not because I have to." 
"I am in control here" ETC. I am in this line up because I want to be. I am shopping because it is my decision to do it. Agoraphobia comes from doing over and over something you would rather not. Or in most cases something inconvenient.
The following post is about adjuncts to this to make it easier. 

Davit
 Hello, I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder by my Dr. I had a Question,  when I go to a Store I start to panic an I get the Racing Heart, Feeling Dizzy, Feeling like I can't Breathe, My Legs feel so weak,  an I feel stuck/ "Frozen" like I want to run but I also want to stay because I dont want to be a coward an let this get the best of me. Just thought of going anywhere in public I start to get Anxious, My problem is I THINK way to much about going to the store's or Anywhere an I think of PANIC ATTACKS constantly, could this be the reason I do Panic when I go to a store, because I think about it before I even go to a store or anywhere? Does anyone know how to break this Cycle? I was doing good until a few weeks ago when I had a Panic Attack in a store. This Site has helped me so much, I have decided to start all over from Page 1. I just want to live without FEAR. Does anyone have any tips or information? I can't let Panic Attacks/ Fear rule my life. I just want to be able to do normal things an everyday person does. I also had another Question is Panic Disorder curable? An what are the everyday symptoms of Panic Disorder? It's like I can't think of nothing else other than ANXIETY everyday. If you can give me some Tips an Information I would really appreciate it. Thanks, Josh

Reading this thread: