Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,546 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57

Arms & Legs Falling Asleep-Not What I Thought

13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for sharing, Deanna. Nice work- and what you are telling yourself is so true!
I'm glad to see you are doing so well and I'm sure you have many good days ahead. Keep thinking positive and please continue to let us know of your successes!

Tiana, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Tiana and everyone, I am having another awesome day. Yesterday I had a whole day without having to take an atavan and so far none today either. Keeping my fingers crossed for more days like this. The self talk vocabulary is really easy now- seems I've had every test known-lol So now if I get a chest pain or any panic symptoms, I tell myself "it's okay those symptoms are just a sign of anxiety. They cannot hurt me and the bad feeling will pass." Also "your muscles are tense from anxiety-this is normal-who wouldn't be tense with this amount of stress?" I did that last night with a weird chest pain and haven't had it since. Also this morning-I felt a little panic while getting my hair trimmed- but it too quickly disappeared after a little self talk-which was nice. Deanna
13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Deanna,

I'm proud of you for  how well you handled that situation! Great work. Feel free to share some of the details of your new self-talk vocabulary.

Tiana, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Deanna:  I think it's great that you went to seek an answer.  Nothing worse than to sit there and fear something which may or may not be anything serious.  Indecision causes so much anxiety/stress.  Glad you went and that all is well for you. 

Your friend, Sunny
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi all:  Definitely muscles get tense with anxiety/stress.  That's why hot baths are helpful, massage therapy, etc.  Gentle stretching when you've been sitting too long, or getting out of bed are great too.  Cats do it all the time, most animals stretch when they get up, why don't we?  If I've been sitting too long I walk up and down the stairs a couple of times, that gets the circulation going.

Your friend, Sunny
13 years ago 0 152 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Deanna,

My shoulders always get stiff and sore with anxiety, i have been taking Prozac for the last four weeks and Ativan while i have been getting used to the Prozac and have been feeling ok, but last Friday i reduced my ativan dose to half what i am used to taking and my neck muscles have been sore all week again, i have been doing the PMR from the program so that definately helps

your friend Debi
13 years ago 0 58 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hey Deanna,

being anxious all the time really does put a lot of strain in your muscles, its not surprising they start acting a weird way. i find massage therapy really and acupuncture really good at relieving the by-products of anxiety.  its gets the blood flowing, releases the lactic acid build ups and it just makes me feel great.

Sunny II

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
dtaber

Deanna I'm impressed with how well you handled this. I had a similar situation, I was in the hospital for seven days because of my broken leg. During that time my blood pressure went up and up. Not normally a concern for me but for the fact I could not get my diastolic down. The important half of the equation. It was disturbing my sleep this worry. Finally I took a half valium to sleep and the next day it was okay. Diastolic is resting pressure. I believe too that it was muscle tension and only the fact that I am stable enough to look at all the causes and right them off was I able to accept it might be anxiety and it would go away. The most I felt was confusion because I had not changed medication or done anything different than spend seven days in the hospital with my leg in a cast. Odd too, there were no outward signs of anxiety that I could register but there must have been something.

Let me echo your last statement. Keep your chin up. There is definitely hope. :-)

Davit.
13 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi all,

As I continually learn to understand this panic/anxiety that has come upon me and just when I feel like I'm grasping the concept of it. Wham- I'm hit with other symptoms. I want to post this in case others have the same symptoms-it may bring relief.

So for the last 10 days, my arms and legs have been falling asleep, as well as being achy, having spasms and small pains here and there. At the first sign of it-I called my doctor and told her about my legs. She recommended a calcium supplement, which I went ahead and put myself on.

Today as I sat at my computer, both arms and legs fell asleep and then I felt dizziness which included black floaties in my vision. It scared me really bad. I tried to call my doctor and she never called me back, so I took myself to the emergency room. In fact I just got out of there. They took several blood tests. All of my tests came back excellent. So it's not stroke symptoms, no heart attack, its not neurological and definately not a blood clot because its not a centralized pain with swelling and not a pinched nerve. And during the last 10 days-I haven't even felt panicked. In fact the doctor asked me if I needed anything for my anxiety. I was like "no I'm fine." Just want to find out whats going on with my arms & legs.

So after 3 hrs and 5 tubes of blood, I learned one more thing about panic attacks and anxiety. "Muscle Tension," can make you feel achy and your limbs can fall asleep. Yes, its okay to take over the counter naproxen sodium with prozac. And now I have  new vocabulary for my self talk. But the best thing about my trip to the ER- I am relieved because my worst fears were not realized and I feel like the Prozac is going to do its job.

Everyone keep your chin up! There is hope. :o)

Deanna

Reading this thread: