Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,537 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

PA's rubbing off on other family members

15 years ago 0 13 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When I first got ill and my kids were worried, my daughter started complaining of headaches and stomach aches, I was so worried that I'd somehow passed it on to her, stupid really, normal worry is natural, but now I tend to keep it in as outlined in another post.
15 years ago 0 150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It's near impossible to say if depression and anxiety is hereditary. 
We would get in to the 'nature vs nurture' debate, and as nothing is proven, it's just a matter of conflicting opinions.

But I would say that anxiety, even if hereditary (which I'm not saying it is), can be controlled by the person suffering it.  
I think you should help your daughter talk through her anger issues and help her find a more constructive way of expressing herself.

I wouldn't personally tell my children (although I don't have any) about my anxiety issues.  Mostly for fear that they subconsciously adopt them.

I do believe it's true that children can pick up and adopt the way that you react to stress/angery etc, but they can unlearn that.  They can be re-taught a more healthy way of dealing with things.

Drawing has been shown as a very effective way for children to express emotion.  A combination of colour and art therapy, I suppose. 

Why not take her out and buy her some drawing equipment?  Coloured pencils or pens and some paper. 
She could get into the routine of drawing when her emotions get the better of her.

15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

canscrapbook,

It can be difficult to determine if anxiety and depression are hereditary because it varies for every individual. However, this is definitely something you should be speaking to your family doctor about. Perhaps he/she can connect you with supports within the community that could help both of you with what you are experiencing.

Sometimes children adopt their parents' behaviours unintentionally just because they observe it everyday within the home. So deciding to speak to your daughter about what you are going through is something that is completely up to you. Do you think she would be open to talking about her own thoughts and feelings?   Let us know how it goes and we are here if you need us!         Sarah, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 466 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
From what I understand, anxiety can be hereditary.  I'm not a parent, so the only suggestion I can come up with, is what my parents did with me.  Help her to realize and understand her feelings, then how to calm her mind.

What's funny, is my parents taught me how to overcome anxiety straight from the beginning.  But since I didn't realize what was going on (when anxiety first hit, never had anxiety before after all), it still got the better of me.  But, the lessons I learned from anxiety are priceless, and have made me much stronger then before. 

Remember CSB, you can't save your kids from everything, but you can be there for them.
15 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think this is where I should ask this question.

The last few weeks my seven year old (who is well beyond her age) has been complaining about feeling shaky.
Ok so I always was a shaky person (runs in the family)
I have been watching her and see that she can have anger issues.  She can lash out and blam and make you feel quilty out of no where.  I haven't discussed this with anyone but my sister said last week that I am like that. hhmmmm got me thinking. Is my daughter going to go through this, is she starting to show signs of this as well.  If my grandfather suffered from depression and so has my father, and then people on my mom's side. It must be hereditary?
So have I past this to her, should I be nipping it in the butt now?
And should I talk to her about what I'm going through.  I only ask this because she gets very upset when I don't go on field trips and go for walks or take them to the park.
any thoughts or suggestions?

Reading this thread: