Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,542 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf

Is this Anxiety?

15 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hiya Miki,

Just wanted to drop in and say I too have had tightness in the chest while anxious. I used to find it super frightening but I got used to it being part of my battery of anxiety/panic symptoms. Sorry for the short reply! Hang in there.
15 years ago 0 477 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes, I have felt it before and I am afraid to let my voice out so I just have to calm down.
15 years ago 0 1153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jane,

As you can see, you are not alone in experiencing these feelings. These are often associated to panic attacks. Keep on working your way through the program and learning how to challenge your anxious thoughts.

Brenna, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 313 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi

I too have experienced this and when my panic was at it's worst it was quite bad... A very unpleasant experience.  With my relapse too I had it again... yuck. 

You're definately not crazy nor are you alone in your feelings.  Even looking at my hands would weird me out...When I was in an anxiety disorders clinic group study program they told me to stare at myself in the mirror to create that feeling ... it was strange at first but it ended up helping.... I coud recreate that depersonalization and know that I was ok..  A lot of it has to do with breathing as CD mentioned (such a smart cookie)... when we breathe shallow it affects our oxygen levels etc and can create that sensation...

As for my voice not working etc... that is weird too but normal with anxiety.

You're not alone and it will pass ... Once you find the tools that work for you to get through those moments you'll be just fine... Be patient with yourself it's a bit of a learning curve...

We're here to listen and share our stories though... Everyone has helped me soo much.

Take care.

DM
15 years ago 0 778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Jane , yes i have felt like that . Even my voice sounded strange like it wasnt mine when i talked . That was when i was on high alert a few months ago . I would just nod and smile and did answer but only short ones . It does get better , i pratice my deep breathing every single day sometimes a few times a day .
15 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi i have the feelings of going out of my mine , body, and dizzing, short of breath, like in a cloud, fog, jeggery, i frez up, cant not coummate with others, in the right way. so inbearsting trying to talk to someone and can not get the words out. i just try to sayit will be all right. others feel this way let me know. thanks, Jane
15 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Minnesota,   Glad to hear that you found a way to help calm yourself when you're not feeling well. Keep trying different things and don't forget to take time for yourself.     Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 341 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I think that anxiety symptoms can manifest themselves as real problems, but arent..like the chest, we think something bad is wrong, but its just stress, and deep breathing helps.  I went to my doc and she examined me and my blood pressure and everything is normal.  So i'm thinking the dizzieness must be from the anxiety, i dont get it often anymore, just when i'm out trying new things, I just say to myself "youre fine" over and over again, it seems to help.  I sometimes go and do my biking or a walk and it helps.

15 years ago 0 778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is the catch 22 thing all over . I get the throat and breathing thing every single day . Do all  the right things i have been taught here , the breathing excises etc .

It does worry me why it dosnt go away if im honest , but am learning to live with it . Dont want it though

15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Minnesota,

If the feeling of tightness and dizziness persists I would highly recommend going to see your family doctor. You may also want to try some breathing exercises when you are feeling anxious or nervous, that might help.

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: