Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,563 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

HI...I'M NEW HERE

21 years ago 0 17 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Ann, I have picked up 2 6 month chips at 2 meeting2 and hitting 2 more tonight. Thanks for everyone's support Luke
21 years ago 0 1062 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations, Luke on this terrific milestone! -- Anne-Marie, Site Administrator
Hey Maria, I started drinking when I was 12, and used other drugs as I grew up. At about 17 I started getting panic attacks and didn't get help until I was about 22. I always new I had a drinking and drug problem I guess now that I am more sober I can be more honest. But I would drink and drug with my medication, Xanax was great for hangovers. I guess I shouldn't revel too much, but life is getting better. I am on new meds and I guess that the drugs and alcohol are out of my system the meds seem to work better. I went to my first AA meeting in 1999, but I guess I finally hit bottom and had to do something. Celebrating 6 months of sobriety this Saturday the 26th. Luke
21 years ago 0 198 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Diana, I like your approach. Like 'baby steps' towards the final conrol of the 'panic attack situation'. I have tried that - it ususally works. If I can only drive for two blocks and I start having a panica attack, when I have an appointment, I just go home and start over again. Usually the third try is the winner. Or, take jogging for instance - just walk/jogging can anxiety producing. But, I do love to it and know it helps anxiety - so, I go one block at a time, stop, walk, see how I feel - then, continue or go home. Is that what you are speaking of? Bye for now, Maria
21 years ago 0 198 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Luke, My name is Maria...I have struggled with panic attacks for over 16 years - and, I must ask you, why did you start drinking? Were you taking your meds and drinking? Or, were you drinking before you started taking your meds. Thank you in advance for you response... Maria
21 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello, Diana. Welcome. I first starting having panic attacks when I was 20. At one time, a saw a psychologist who works almost exclusively with people with panic. He said it is very common to start occurring when a person is thinking of leaving home, growing up. My sister had a couple when she was thinking of moving to NYC after college. I am 39. I posted a message about monophobia. I can do most everything without panic, except stay alone at night, which might not be an issue for you. I learned to do things that scared me through systematice desensitization. If something is scary the object is to practice it a little at a time when you don't have to do it, for example driving, grocery shopping. Only do something until you feel slightly anxious and then leave. Build up the exposure over time as your confidence builds. If you have friends you can call, let them assist you. Just tell someone what you are trying to accomplish and let them share with you. I have found most people to be understanding. Surround yourself with positive people. If people don't have respect for my feelings, I don't hang around them. I, personally don't think panic comes from nowhere. Even though some people are predisposed to it, most people have fears that trigger it. Try to identify what sets you off. And yes, the old stanby, medication can help with the brain chemistry. Good luck. Keep your chin up.
21 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I believe that I am new to this discussion. Reading through some of the responses to different medications has me wondering. I have been on three or four different antidepressant/anxiety treating medications. Ascendin... just made me tired and cranky, supposed to help with general/clinical depression (diagnosed years before an anxiety disorder) Detoxed ok, no bad effects, and actually seemed better without the meds. Soon, I realised that I needed more time without medication to see how bad off I was, really. It took seven years to see that anxiety was something that really needed to be worked on. I thought it was my imagination... saw my OB/Gyn and my former GP and was Rx'd Prozac- see below. Prozac... worked for a while, but too many side effects. Took myself off of the medication, bad choice. Paxil... worked very well, thought that THIS would be THE medication for me. My doctor kept upping my dosage and once I hit like 60mg, the GP decided that it was time to try another medication. Effexor ( I think this is what the name was)... this was ok I guess, but had no notable effects on my anxiety, day to day stuff. Made me worry that maybe I have become "immune" to all these meds. Xanax... thinking this is my last hope, being afraid because my GP said that I need to use my descretion as to how high my dosage goes. I'm at like 2 mg a day, scared out of my mind because I think I'm becoming a Xanax junkie. Then tonight, reading through a few books... this is normal. Some people actually get up to ten mg a day. Wow, I think to myself. but will I actually get up to this high a dosage??? I am freaking out over this. I am going in this week to verify that this really is OK. I want to be sure because I really don't want to be on this forever. I'd like to try other meds, but am not sure what I should think. Any feedback... krykit@hotmail.com
21 years ago 0 1062 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Luke. Just a little note to say welcome to the site. We are launching some new programs to make things easier for you. Stay tuned. -- Anne-Marie, Site Administrator
Hello, another newbie here. It looks like one of the only males here. I have been dealing with panic attacks since I was 17. I'm 28 now. I thought it was something I would grow out of, not knowing thier was a name for this. I was finally able to get help at 22 when depression really started to set in. I started avoiding a lot of things like most of you. I was put on Pamelor, now Remeron back in January, and Xanax (1mg 3 times a day). It worked great, I moved out on my own and was able to travel, which I love. Now I am unhappy to announce that I am an alcoholic, almost 90 days ago and going to AA meeting. I didn't drink everyday. It was just when I started drinking I didn't want to stop. I told my psychiatrist, and he is taking me off Xanax. Although I have never had the desire to abuse them. It was a miracle medicine for me. I could do so much. This is my last week on the Xanax and I will be off them after 8 weeks of lower dosages. I am scared; I am having all these panic feeling again that I though I was free of. I am also in therapy to help change my behavior thinking. I have been to 5 visits and don't feel much better, really kind of worse. I am hoping it€™s just the Xanax withdrawal and things will soon settle out. I am glad I found this site. It looks like it could be a lot of help. Luke
21 years ago 0 31 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Beth... I am sorry you have to deal with this hardship... some good news is that it is "conqerable"... you CAN gain control of this... I hate that I did not meet you 2 years ago... but we are here now.. and please note my email... kb1234@localnet.com Email me, and I will get into detail.... otherwise,, just know I am pulling for you.! what meds are you on????

Reading this thread: