Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,534 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Theory on origins

15 years ago 0 123 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nice!  I've always wondered, but never really researched the topic.  The way I used to "unlearn" things...and it comes to play now as well...is rather then trying to unlearn them, which is an impossible thing to do, skip the step where you're actively trying to forget it, and just change your current associations to the fear. 

For instance, Faith had a thread recently where she told us how instead of thinking about how she didn't want to throw up, instead thinking of reasons why it's good to throw up.  This works towards any fear, just think of reasons why the fear can be good (I don't mean fear itself, but rather the object/subject you fear).  Though fear itself isn't such a bad thing as well...

If you don't like your situation, change it.  If you can't change it, change your attitude about it. - Maya Angelou
15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow!
Thanks for the information chris!
Members, what do you think?

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 26 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
with the sprinting as a child imagine that sensation a burst of energy,sweating,shortness of breath,dizzy, the sensations of challenge, excitement.does that sound somewhat familure ?Adrenal kicks in but instead of a positive we see it or feel it as anxiety. 
Okay;Idid some research imagine that?From a scientific point of view this is what i got.The brain uses 1/5 of all the power in the body ,blood brings nutients,glucose,ect......at life sustaining levels to all parts of the brain.Heres the kicker and very valuable info I,and you,were looking for.If we used the entire brain at one time it would overheat and be severaly damaged.The flow of blood providing nutrients, also cools the brain and prevents overheating.So as previously stated by (jhori82 about the 10 percent being used) would be correct,based on the fact that most people use almost every portion of the brain at some time during the day sleeping and awake.(Which brings back logic)when one part of the brain stops comunicating or has a misfire so to speak.Another part of the brain takes over to figureout what is going on with the part that is messing up.(So mind you) side effects siezure's, fainting, dizzy,anger,anxiety ,depression  ......the list goe's on you name the feeling or sensation the brain produce's it.Now since we have the ability to learn that once you get electricuted by a household appliance that you dont stick the knife in the toaster or zap right.It would also be safe to say that (with our condition's) and avoidance because of the sensations felt when we are put in our state of mind correct?This is why they always ask? Have you ruled out any other possible problems when seeking help for our condition.Because other problems with the body, can bring on some of the symtoms, linked to alot of our sensations or symtoms.But all this is not the cool part....the fact is could we learn to channel our brain for healing the survey say's yes based on the fact we have the ability to learn,that anxiety is a sensation brought on by ourself,stress is learned something concious or subconcious we dont like.The downfault to being able to learn is the abilty to unlearn it doesnt come as natural.So channeling anxiety was learned as a child sleeping 3 hour's a day and doing cartwheels and sprinting just to see who could makeit back home the fastest.As adults we have takeing in a mountain full of sensations from the real world which is why the elastisty of the brain becomes harder with age the abilty to learn becomes harder also so there's your answer in a nutshell.any questions ask a expert lol.
15 years ago 0 466 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
If I figure it out, I'll channel it to you. 

its an older post but i like it!There are alot of unanswered question about almost everything.for example they say christopher columbus didnt discover america,thats what they say in school now my 9 year old step son is being taught totaly different things than when i was in school.Just like there are new discoveries everday.So on the topic of the human brain.........can you actually grasp the theory that outerspace is infinity it goes on forever?And if you dont believe it can go on forever whats on the other side of it?So does the brain have healing power or super natural power it all depends on the situation.Take a savant for instance although thay cannot express there self in a fasion that is exceptable in todays society././.???curse word!THEY often have unique abilities that (normal people)dont have like drawing master pieces with there eyes closed,playing music that master composers put together or being master composer's themself.No bad intent on savants they facinate me.BUT that is a prime example of what the brain is capable of.As far as bending things with our mind or our thoughts alone is it possible no the energy it would take to bend an object with only our mind is outragous electro magnets arent that advanced yet and its a machine.But mix adrenaline with pure muscle power and a sticky situation and yes you are capable of lifting moving or doing things that science has just been able to discover we are able to do. Will you have a backache in the morning most likely.But i rest in the thought that we are capable of what we believe but untill you can prove the ability its still just a theory.But channeling thought process is possible we wouldnt be typing on this page if it was'nt think about that?If yall figure it out please fill free to spred that knowledge with the rest of us peace be with the :] chris

Something else I thought about today, ever watch the movie "Phenomenom", with John Travolta?  I've heard things such as in that movie happen, though haven't researched it. 

If you haven't seen it, and this next sentence may be a spoiler if you want to watch it:  it's about a man that gets brain cancer, and from this he gets powers, such as the ability to retain information very well (photogenic-like mind), ESP powers, etc.  Now the ESP part sounds like hollywood, but being able to retain information, the heightened awareness of the mind...that part intrigues me.  I may go off on a bit of a tangent here but, my thought on the movie was that the cancer prohibits certain receptors from functioning and thus the mind was unlocked.  However unlocking the mind like this can have drawbacks, just like certain germs are vital to our survival, as nasty and germy as they are, they do provide a service to other organisms in our body. 

So just to twist the mind more, which is better:  to unlock the mind instantly at the expense of a few "germs", or to learn to unlock it very slowly, at the expense of time?
Hi Karla,

Great topic.  I believe the mind is self-sustaining, meaning sometimes it does things automatically for our own good.  Where we choose to take it from there, well that's where the outcome becomes as varied as flavors in kool aid.  In short, yes, I believe the mind can become a tool for healing.  I think this is possible at any stage of life...some are just much more deeply engrained in their ways and therefore it is harder to overcome themselves.  I believe the "harder to reach" folks tend to be the strongest when, and if, they decide to try to use their mind in such a manner.  Problem with these folks is the same as the problem with us, and that is that they must decide for themselves, and no one can decide for them, the path which they choose.

And the whole 10% of the brain being used is fiction.  I think the purpose of that statement being started, was to help someone overcome something much like we have something to overcome.  My opinion is that only 10% of your potential is used.  We are all capable of much more then we think, sometimes the gifts are innate, many times gifts are learned.

Oh, and this technique has been researched many times.  It's what telemarketers, media moguls and such use for advertisement.  But there are many other ways it has been researched...do a search for the "power of the mind" (or something similar) online and you'll get some widely varied ideas.
15 years ago 0 94 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
anyone agree with this theory?????
15 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HEy Karla,

Thanks for sharing yours and your husband,s views on this. I find it very interesting. As you have stated we have yet to understand the full potential of the human brain. I find all the new discoveries fascinating. Who knows what will be dicovered in the years to come right?

Reading this thread: