Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

Hello

13 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Shari, Teebs and Joe =D 

Teebs, I thought I was the only one with the choking sensations! It only happens when I am in the car. I hate it! Do you have any tips on how to relieve it? 
13 years ago 0 34 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Davit
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Joe.

Sounds like you are pretty busy. Join our group and come visit us when you can. We are always here.

Here for you
Davit.
13 years ago 0 34 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am a beginner here too. I actually have had no panic attacks for 4 years. Up until 5 days ago. I was at the beach of all places. It hit me like a fright train. But actually, I was feeling a little on edge that whole weekend. Now I can't shake the attacks. I have them as soon as my eyes open in the morning. It's vary hard to get up and go to work. I'm self employed. So I deal with clients all day. It's horrible.
I wish you the best. I hope this will help us both.

13 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Wendy!  We are all here for you. 
13 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wendy,

I'm glad you found your way back to this site! It's a great resource not just for the program but for the forums, which really help in making you feel like you're not going through this alone, which you're not! I, too, have felt like I'm back to square one after making some real progress. Someone described it to me this way, which helped me a lot: think of it more as an upward spiral. It may feel like you're back at square one, but really you have learned a lot and have more tools in place since the last flare up of anxiety. If nothing else, you know something else that doesn't work for you! Keep at it.

I also get the choking sensation during panic attacks. For some reason it makes me feel a little better to hear that others have it too - it keeps me from worrying that there's something else physically wrong with me.

Teebs

Wendy.

This is just how I see it and it will give you something to think about and some questions for your doctor. It sounds like you only made it half way through CBT, or similar and have got rebound. 
Propranolol is used for stage fright and hand tremors and is a very mild beta blocker, good for reducing the racing heart in a panic attack but if you have low blood pressure the dose can make you dizzy and if you have high blood pressure it is not strong enough to do anything. But it will still help. Have you considered taking Xanax or one of the other Benzodiazapines. Valium is the mildest. Ativan is a bad Idea, because of the amount of time you will be on it and it's tendency to make panic worse over time. It is also very addictive. Just till you get the panic straightened out and then coming here and doing the program. I will help you with any questions the program brings up, and it does work. You can also do the program drug free but it may be harder and take longer. Are you generally happy except for the panic, or do you think you could be depressed. Unknown depression can bring on or make worse panic. 
We are a group here and help each other and group therapy is a proven. To join all you have to do is post and comment. It can be about anything and you can ask any questions and some one or everyone will offer there solutions. And I will always be here to help. Do you know about journaling during an attack. It works well. And it too is a proven. I can also give you lots of reasons why. Panic can be beaten, I am proof of that. We just need to know where to start working on it. Like what coping and relaxing skills are you using during an attack. It is all in the program.

Here for you
Davit.
13 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Davit, Thanks for responding.

I am still having attacks, daily now. Have been for the past week. I was doing so good! and BAM I am back to square one. And yes, I am agoraphobic too. You're right, I have been thinking about how I have stopped moving forward, it frustrates me. My doctor put me on Propanolol (sp?) for the attacks, I have been taking it but I still freak out. I don't get the racing heart when I am on it, I just get lightheaded now and a choking sensation. Every time my heart jumps or I think I feel something moving in my body I ALWAYS think it's a blood clot and I am going to die. Thanks again for reading and responding. 
13 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Wendy,

It sounds like you have been through a lot.  Good for you for coming back.  As I said before please stick with the program.

Try not to get too discouraged by set backs and slower progress.  Dealing with anxiety is a process and with each time you try you are learning more and more. Be patient with yourself keep posting and keep trying.  We will be right there with you helping you through this.

I also reiterate Davit's question.  Where are you stuck? 

Ashley, Health Educator
Hello Wendy

Where are you stuck, maybe I can help. Are you still having attacks or are you just fearing you will? Are you having the "what ifs". Why do you feel like you are regressing? Is it because you think too much about the fact you have stopped going forward? OR. Could it be medication? Anxiety is a side effect of some medication. You know all of this is curable or in the case of medication side effects, controllable. You just need to know where to start. It sounds like you might be agoraphobic but it would be nice to know for sure.  You might also have brought about a negative core belief with the change to your life four years ago. And this one could be anything from offending some one with your actions to being afraid of dying and leaving your child alone.  Blood clots, thyroid, what else were you thinking about. That one is common. Now I attach this because of your thought that fixing the thyroid would rid you of the attacks. Just my take on it, and just some things to think on. Some times it seems there is no reason for panic but there always is. Some times it is very hard to find the reason. Some times you don't want to find or accept it. Another negative core belief there. Keep talking to us, we are listening and if nothing else just posting will help.

Here for you
Davit.

Reading this thread: