Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

dealing with what was hiding underneath the anxiety

13 years ago 0 356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Helena. 

Instead of just calling to make an appt. I called 2 counselors offices and asked to speak to the counselor for a few minutes so I could get a sense of their way of talking. i sort of know what i want in a counselor at this point. I feel good about trying one out and if they dont work, moving on to the next one. I hope i find someone i click with. 

thanks for the support everyone. all this emotional stuff is hard to wade through but i do believe i can let go of it one day and know i felt it (finally) and can move on. feeling it is hard, and i want to do more of the feeling with someone with me instead of alone so they can help pull me out. i suppose my exposure work is exposure to feeling anger, sadness, without running away from them or suppressing them or distraction.
13 years ago 0 221 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well said Red!

I definetly agree!

Helena, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
loves trees,

I really enjoyed reading your post this morning and found it very inspiring.  It is great to see you asserting yourself and being so proactive in your care. This is a big step and a very big accomplishment.  I am so proud of you.  This definitely calls for a reward. 

Red
13 years ago 0 221 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi loves tress,

When I read your posts, its clear that you've gained insight and self awareness. You're know that you're grieving the loss of a relationship and your childhood. Sadness and anger are part of the grieving process. Although it may not feel great, you are doing important emotional work, which will have positive rewards. You are feeling your emotions, and not suppressing them. One things you can do when you are feeling sad/anxious/anger is talk to the part of yourself that is feeling that emotion. You can say "Anxiety, I know you are here. What would you like to tell me?". Have a conversation with the emotion.

Its great to hear that you are asserting youself. Trust your instincts when it comes to a therapist. It you don't feel its a good fit, than find someone you can connect with.

Members, thanks for sharing your experience.

If you feel comfortable with sharing, please let us know about your counselling experience.

Helena, Health Educator
I am going to try a new one out soon. Even though I feel a bit desperate for help at this point, Over the phone I let myself listen to her before I decided to make an appt. I want to try out her approach, but if it isn't working after a few sessions, I wont feel bad about trying someone else. This too is part of the process of becoming assertive and advocating for myself. I know I deserve a good therapist and I am lucky I live somewhere large enough there are many to choose from.  Thanks for the encouragement.
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
loves trees, ThinkingMom,

I have a very good therapist that will not let me hide from anything, especially emotions. She is not aggressive, but tenacious. If I need to do something or talk about something then I have to, no ifs, ands or buts. I can not say enough about a good therapist. Just be sure you get a good one, don't settle for less.  

Please keep posting when you can.

Here for you,
Davit.
Hi  ThinkingMom,

Learning about co-dependence really helped me to understand a lot about myself and why I was not in touch with my true feelings. I believe there is a reason why we become good at denying our true feelings, as you say, and for me, it has helped me to understand why this happened (re-frame past experiences) and grieve the loss of experiences I didn't get. I firmly believe it is important for parents to allow their children to develop without encouraging (or in my case demanding) that the child disassociate from their true selves. I say this because I now realize that as a child, I was in a family situation where I was forced to disassociate from myself in order to meet the needs of others. I feel very strongly about the importance of not doing this. Learning about co-dependence though was hard in itself because i found out that some of what i thought was 'me' is actually not, it was a reaction to a situation.

I should have asked for help with this from the start because going into all this alone is very very difficult. Like doing brain surgery on myself. impossible at times really.

Having someone who has enough insight and wisdom and who believes that I can get through this is very important to me. I don't always believe its going to get better. And I do trust people. I trust that Davit really believes people like me can be well again. even though the last itme i was truly truly 'well' was over 20 years ago. By "well" I mean, connected to myself, and able to live my life without being co-dependent. 

That's been my process and experience. I do not think all people necessarily have to delve into their past but for me it has been very important to do that. I am unfortunately now at a point where I am feeling the feelings I was not allowed to feel as a child. If that makes sense. I think that will make sense to others who can recall experiences where they felt sad or angry and were forced to be silent. In this way, I have encountered a need to grieve the childhood I didn't have. This is hard and has taken me by surprise. I've worked very hard to create a life for myself where I can have good memories instead of the past being something to always avoid thinking about.

A lot of my true feelings are negative ones, sadness and anger. I'm hopeful that some additional counseling will help me to resolve and ultimately accept that these experiences happened, and that I don't have to keep feeling the feelings they created over and over for the rest of my life. I will not be able to confront the people who made my childhood miserable. It is up to me to find closure without being able to yell at them even though I want to express my true feelings (mostly rage at this point that I was not nurtured and taken care of). Everyone here helps me feel encouraged that this closure for me can and will happen. 

When I say reframe, what I'm negotiating is a process where I went from believing that i grew up in a happy family (because i was consistently told that we had no problems) to reframing my memories to be more accurate to how I felt at the time and what I know I needed as a child, to the next step (which I am not at yet) where I reframe them yet again in my mind to accept that no, i did no grow up in a happy family and no, i did not get what i needed in order to be emotionally healthy but yes, i can move on and have a better life now. Lately i've been so upset at not getting what i needed as a child its pulled me down a lot.

Davit I am glad you keep reminding me to have patience. I am trying to rush a very important and complex process. Its as if I'm a surgeon trying to do a major brain surgery in an hour! Processes take time. I'm often rushing. 

Hi Davit,

Thanks for this. I am goingto meet with someone new soon who I hope will help and further encourage me to process these emotions. I see what you mean about determining whether the emotions are based on a false reason or not. Over the last few years I've had lots of bad emotional reactions based on false reasons. This past month felt different because I am grieving the loss of some relationships in my life that I havn't fully grieved. I think counseling will help with that. I can see that my anxiety makes me defer my ability to work through my grief. I also did not learn how to grieve in the past so its something new for me to do in terms of a skill. 

13 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi there,
I have also taken a small break from the forum here (and the program) to concentrate on my work with my therapist that I have been seeing since September 30. 
"Loves trees", I have some of the same issues you have regarding emotions and have also concluded  that I suffer from feelings of isolation and loneliness.  I'm not sure if those have any significant bearing on my panic and anxiety, but I have learned that I have gotten very good at denying my true feelings in favor of putting up a strong front for everyone around me, but especially myself. 
It is my unprofessional opinion that a therapist is a very valuable tool in working through what is causing our symptoms.  I hope you can find someone good whom you can trust. 
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Loves trees

Very good. I found that if I set the what ifs aside often in time there was no what if to come back to. If you have been blocking anxious thoughts with coping skills or just ignoring the situation you will have to deal with them now that you have this new found freedom. They are legion but not insurmountable. Patience and time. Emotions and core beliefs are tied together and you know how to handle the core beliefs. It is not the emotion that is the problem, it is only a reaction to a situation. How you perceive the situation dictates what sort of emotion you have. If emotions are bothering you find what they are tied to and change how you perceive it. If you are mad or sad because of a situation and it is a false reason to feel that then change the perception of the situation and it fades. If there is a reason to feel sad or mad then change the perception of it by accepting it and moving on. It fades. Thought exposure. Open yourself to thoughts you don't want to have and correct them.

Here for you
Davit.

Reading this thread: