What a great post for this time of year!
There are a large number of reasons why some people have a hard time saying “No thanks”. For example:
• Some people are embarrassed, and feel that they’ll have to explain why they’ve cut down or quit drinking.
This was me when I first stopped drinking. I now find it easier to say that I don't drink anymore. If more is said after that, I just say I thought it was best to stop because I liked it too much. That usually puts an end to the comments.
• Some might feel that it won’t matter if they have one more drink – or just one, period.
This was me in all my unsuccessful attempts to stop drinking. One always led to more. Maybe not that night but eventually one became two, then three, and on and on.
• If you’re out with a new boss, friend, colleague or partner, you might believe that you might jeopardize your job or relationship if they find out the reason why you’re always saying “No thanks” when offered a drink.
I found there was a difference in saying "I don't drink" and "I don't drink anymore." Most people understand that "anymore" indicates some type of problem.
• The physical discomfort and temptation you feel might be too strong.
Yep! This one is hard. We all have to find our way of dealing with this.
• If you don’t drink you might feel like you just don’t fit in.
When you're drinking, "fitting in" usually means doing or saying something you regret. You see things much differently when you're sober and watch people drink. Even people that I didn't think appeared intoxicated, are different than I thought. Regardless of what we would like to think, a few drinks makes us different.
There are many, many other reasons why people can have a hard time saying “No Thanks”. And some are great at saying “No Thanks” for years - and then wake up the next day to find they’ve had a slip or have relapsed. It happens.
No matter what you’re personal situation is, the best way to learn how to say “No Thanks” is to practice. Like anything else in life, you can only become good at something if you practice enough.
I couldn't agree with this statement more! Practice what you're going to say in any situation you can imagine. Preparation is key!
How do you say no thanks?
As I mentioned before,
"No thanks, I don't drink anymore."