Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,535 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

penpals

5 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Pasco,

We have lots of experienced people who post on the site often. Please feel free to post about your journey and ask as many questions as you like here. 

Ashley, Health Educator
5 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for taking a minute, Foxman.
5 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
In AA, they suggest one get a sponsor. A sponsor is one who has recovered from this hopeless state of mind and body using the 12 steps and who will help the new comer understand what they mean by powerless over alcohol and that our lifes have become un-manageable. And help the new comer progress along the 12 steps until they can be on their own. If you are hesitant to go to a f2f meetings, you can try one of the online groups. One such forum is

http://e-aa.org/forum/index.php.

There are options on the forum to private message other members and also request a sponsor.

5 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Health Educator,

I know this may be odd but I was wondering if you knew of any reliable sites to find a penpal to aid recovery.  I  mean either someone who is also trying to recover, someone who has already recovered, or anyone knowledgeable, recovering or not.  I can understand the hesitation that anyone would have, getting or giving personal emails and that type of thing...but surely there is something out there where the two people are vetted and confirmed and maybe gotten together to just email back and forth and support one another?  I just thought I would ask.  I'm a teacher in Asia and really struggling to meet people, much less find someone who would listen to me sit around and talk about my alcohol addiction.  In my experience people don't want to hear about it.  Even times when I tried to find a 'pal' to help me quit smoking...people run the other way screaming.  It doesn't matter if they're family or friends, the mantra is the omnipresent "I'm too busy..." and litanies of excuses.  So on top of drinking too much and wanting to desperately quit, add on the extra layer of intense loneliness.  Forums like this are great but...maybe I can't express it properly...just thought I would try.
Thanks so much.

Reading this thread: