Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,461 Members

Please welcome our newest members: splumley, Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA

New to this forum

3 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Welcome Khiva,

Congrats on getting started and taking some important steps towards reaching your goals. Also, congrats on quitting smoking. That is a huge achievement. Your experience in having success in quitting smoking will definitely help you now. What helped you to manage your cravings and quit smoking in the past?

The fact that you realise moderating will not work for you is important. Do you plan on setting a quit date for drinking? Have you decided on a date yet?

Thank you for posting. I hope to read more from you soon!

Ashley

3 years ago +1 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 1
Khiva @ Dec 17, 2020 10:48:15 AM
Hello all
I am new to the Managing Drinking Forum, but not new to this site. I spent many years on this site learning to quit smoking. Unfortunately, with the new site, I lost my quit meter on that. I think I may be 3 years smoke free.
I thought I would know how to quit drinking, because I quit smoking, but here I am still drinking. I realized last night that I need to work my way through the program and do the thinking and the work - come up with a plan and follow through with it.
I have also realized that managing my drinking right now is not an option for me - I just can't have just one. This is the same as with quitting smoking - I can never have just one drag. So at this point, it is complete abstinence for me.
Seems like this forum isn't too busy. I apologize now for responding to old posts as I work my way through them looking for knowledge and support.

Welcome to the board Khiva. I did it in reverse order. I as part of creating an inventory of things that was hurting myself and others (as part of 12 step process), I penned down smoking as one of the things i need to address. I used chantics to stop smoking. Alcoholism is a different kind of monster. I felt very miserable after the quit. And always was drawn back to the comfort of oblivion. But It was always like yours, I will say to myself, I will just have 1 or 2. But invariably after the 1 or 2 drinks, all hell broke loose. Three things I had to learn about alcoholism. I get real cranky when not drinking, because, i was medicating my isms with booze. And would reach a point where I will be so miserable my mind would always point me to that 1 or 2 drinks. And then there is that craving that happens after we put one or two drinks in our body. So the spiritual malady, the mental twist and the craving.

3 years ago +4 50 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 4

Hello all

I am new to the Managing Drinking Forum, but not new to this site. I spent many years on this site learning to quit smoking. Unfortunately, with the new site, I lost my quit meter on that. I think I may be 3 years smoke free.

I thought I would know how to quit drinking, because I quit smoking, but here I am still drinking. I realized last night that I need to work my way through the program and do the thinking and the work - come up with a plan and follow through with it.

I have also realized that managing my drinking right now is not an option for me - I just can't have just one. This is the same as with quitting smoking - I can never have just one drag. So at this point, it is complete abstinence for me.

Seems like this forum isn't too busy. I apologize now for responding to old posts as I work my way through them looking for knowledge and support.

Reading this thread: