Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,558 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

quitting tomorrow

10 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi waannaquit!

How are you doing today? We would like to hear from you.

It's very common for quitters to try several time - this is actually a normal part of the behaviour change process. The key is to keep trying and learning. Being scared of withdrawal is also normal. I encourage you to read through the program and gain as must information as you can on withdrawal. Information is power!

Hope to hear from you soon.

Ashley, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi wannaquit,

Looly and HotSiO2 have great advice here. Please use their tips, as they know what they are talking about.

I'm not sure what type of withdrawals you have experienced before, or whether you have ever completely detoxed (3 days of no nicotine) and felt what it is like on the "other side." I can tell you this. My withdrawals from nicotine were pretty intense. I even had some symptoms that I've never heard of here or anywhere else.

Nonetheless, I can look back and say a few things: 1) Overall, it wasn't any worse than the flu. Might have even been a little easier than the flu, since I've had some wicked cases of that in the past. 2) I was grateful for some of the sensory and time distortions I experienced, as they kept me amused and distracted from being edgy or angry. 3) When I was finally detoxed, it gave me such an incredible sense of relief that I can't always fully describe it. It was, in short, like being released from shackles after have been enslaved for 25 years. My whole body relaxed and I literally said, "Aaaaaah" when I hit that detox point. And the next day was like waking up to a beautiful day after going through a bad dream. ...In other words, it is so worth those 3 days of discomfort to get the nicotine out of your system.

That all being said, if the idea of going through all that is too scary for you right now, you might want to use some nicotine replacement products (patches, gum, lozenges) while you are learning to live without the behavior of smoking. I also did that, since the idea of a cold turkey quit was too scary for me. My detox days were at the end, after I had spent months working out some of the anxiety in my mind.  
  • Quit Meter

$22,587.90

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 603 Hours: 19

Minutes: 39 Seconds: 51

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just signing in to let you know that there are plenty of us quitters rooting for you. Just stick with it , you can do it if you really want! Viv. Xxxx N.o.p.e.
  • Quit Meter

$28,483.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 516 Hours: 14

Minutes: 45 Seconds: 39

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Wannaquit!!!

Welcome to the SSC and congrats on your decision to not quit quitting!  Consider your previous quits as "practice quits" and vow to yourself that this WILL be your forever quit!    I concur with Lolly 100%... the best way to reduce or eliminate your fears is to prepare yourself well for this journey!   Remember the 6-P's... Proper Planning Prevent Piss-Poor Performance!!!  Click on the "My Program" tab above and go through all of the sessions.  Use the "Tools" above, too further help you with your planning!  Last but not least, stick close and read and learn from your new quit buddies here!  We're all rooting for you!

There is nothing to fear, but fear itself!  Strap on a Positive Mental Attitude and get ready to kick some nico-demon ash!!  You CAN do this!!!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,332.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1061 Hours: 1

Minutes: 13 Seconds: 27

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Wannaquit,

Nice to see you on the boards, and well done for taking the decision to quit!

Have you thought about quitting more deeply?  As you say, you are scared about withdrawal.  It is natural to be scared.  Perhaps if you take a little time and prepare yourself for the craves, and have coping strategies ready for them, you may find it an easier process.

This site has a huge amount of information about every aspect of quitting, and may help you. Just search for subjects such as 'withdrawal' and read.  It's better to be prepared and succeed than just to quit and fail.  Post and ask questions, as we are here to help you...we have been through the various stages of quitting, so know how you will feel..  Make this your final and forever quit.

I will not wish you luck, as I believe we make our own luck by positive thinking and determination.  You just need to want to quit more than you want to smoke. Take one day at a time.

Whatever it takes, just don't smoke! 

Love Lolly.    
10 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am going to try and quit tomorow. I have tried several times and hoping that this one is my final one. I'm scared of the withdrawals.

Reading this thread: