Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,537 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Doing this for my son

10 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am feeling pretty good. Cravings are going away and the smell of smoke repulses me now, which is a good thing. My son is with me almost 24/7 so that is all the motivation I need anymore.
10 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Rhian,

Sounds like you are one strong mom! Congrats on almost one week now. How are you feeling?

Ashley, Health Educator
Thank you everyone for the support. I have another day down and the cravings are less. Maybe this will work this time. I can't let my little man down.
10 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It is so sad to lose your Mom so young Rhian!  For the sake of your young family, that is such a tragedy :(   You're so wise to take this step toward healing.  It's a good message to send to your son too. Good for YOU!  No doubt this will be one of the hardest things you've ever done - but it is sooo worth it! Your motivation sounds strong and with that and a good quit smoking plan in place -  and lots of support - you can do this, pretty one!!
breather and Lolly have some good advice here.  Post away (here) anytime you feel a craving coming on - it helps you understand your cravings and the emotions you feel when you otherwise would reach for a smoke.  Following your quit craving diary and using the tools offered on the site helps too.  I chewed on cinnamon sticks at first - gave me a whole different burn to think about, lol ;)
Some find hard mint candies help - and maybe herbal tea?  Also I found a hot steamy bath with loads of epsom salts in it helped to get the toxins out of my system.  Keep up the good fight and let us know how you're doing. We're here to cheer for you ;) 
10 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
rhian1976 Don't forget to keep plenty of ice water handy. Drink ice water to drown the crave when you get one. It really helps. Excellent for you for not smoking today. breather
10 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Rhian,

So sorry to hear about your mother!  Now you have a very strong motive for quitting...your son... so that he does not see you  like that in about 20 years time!

Do stay close to us here at SSC.  You may have difficult moments ahead...we can help you fight through.

You are doing a really vital thing for yourself and your family.  Be strong!  Have courage, and

Whatever it takes, just don't smoke! 

Love Lolly.    
My mother just passed away in July from lung cancer that spread rapidly throughout her body. She lived only a few months after her diagnosis. My son is 7 and was very upset. She was only 58. I am 37 this year, I've been smoking since I was 11. I quit 3 days ago. My motivation? My son looking at me and telling me he doesn't want me to die like Nana. Every time I think I want to smoke I remember that. It's not easy by any means. I am taking Wellbutrin and once a day I use my Blu ecig. But it's getting easier. I keep myself busy and pushing through. I can't slip or relapse for my son.

Reading this thread: