Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,479 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

Weekend Prep

11 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have been a smoker for 40 years. I quit for 5 years and it was hell for the first 6 - 8 months! I am now smoke free again and although it has only been a few weeks I must say this time it is easy-piecy! I think it is because I am not spending that much time thinking about it. Last time I journaled, I told everyone what I was going through, etc. etc. It made it worse. This time my attitude us just suck it up. It is what it is. Do I want to die from smoking? No. Do I was to smell like a cigarette? No. Do I want to waste my hard earned money just to light it up in smoke? No. So for those three reasons, I no longer smoke. And I feel great!!! Everyone is different and everyone handles things different so I am not saying my way is the better way. But for me it is about not obsessing anymore about not smoking. Hope this helps someone. All the best to all you quitters!! Congrats.
11 years ago 0 270 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
twiggie,

One day at a time, absolutely! It sounds like you've already identified many fantastic coping strategies such as grabbing a snack, taking a walk, etc. So this is a great step. Cleaning out the smoke smell is also a wonderful idea. The more you do to take smoking out of your life, the better!

You mention that being alone at home may be making your quit more challenging. If this is the case, how can you mitigate this by integrating more social interaction into your daily routine? 

In addition, how can you plan to make mornings and nights less challenging with respect to cravings, since you mention that these times are particularly tough for you?

I'm very glad to learn that despite the challenges, you're not caving in to cravings...keep it up! You've come so far! In the meantime, I look forward to your response regarding the questions above.

Yours in support,
Sonia
11 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Everyone keeps saying this gets easier, I am finding it harder as the days go by; or maybe it's because all week long I am alone at home, and now everyone is here. So in turn of adjusting to just my schedule and my old habits, I am now dealing with all the kids and grand daughter. I just take a lot of deep breaths, grab a snack, take a walk. I find morning and night still to be the hardest times for me. I can't sleep with the patch on, so by the time I wake up I am super craving, I have managed to wait long enough to get through one cup of coffee before putting on my patch. I do not want to keep having to rely on the patch, yet I also know according to my assessment on my smoking; I am highly addicted and smoked more than most women my age. SO.. with all of that I am struggling, but not caving. I can smell the left over cigarette smell in my home and car, spending the weekend finishing up cleaning all of that. Hoping all the hard work will make me think twice if I think I want to light up again; I just keep telling myself; one day, one minute at a time. 

11 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Are you finding some craves or situations harder to resist than others?  Are there harder cigarettes to get over, than others? How did you cope and get passed this mountain?

A good idea is to get out those journals again and pinpoint which times or places were most difficult in tempting you and accelerated your craves.  Be ready for the following week, armed with this information and how to combat those hard to get over cigarettes.

Share your ideas and coping mechanisms with us and let us learn from you and your experience.

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: