Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Your Guide to Quitting - Being aware of junkie thinking

12 years ago 0 792 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kyle ! It is GREAT to see you doing so well. I know as you get each day under your belt you will feel stronger and stronger. I hope you will reward yourself along the way and go to sleep each night proud of what you have accomplished. Just remember one rule and you can not fail. Not One Puff Ever !!!
12 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for your response Willis. I am actually starting to believe that it will get easier and cravings will decrease. Honestly, today is the first day where I felt relief from not smoking. Up until today my cravings seemed to intensify or at least remain constant. However, they now seem to be easing. I went about my business today without the frequent urges that I have had over the past week since I quit. I had the occasional craving for a cigarette of course but it was far fewer and in between than previously. I hope that this is a sign of even better times to come! :)

12 years ago 0 792 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kyle, I'm so glad you wrote and I am sure many others will respond to your comments. Kyle you will definately NOT have these craving all your life ! Very soon you begin to forget about cigarettes. You will begin to go days, weeks, months without thoughts of cigarettes and thats all they will be thoughts NOT craves.
Kyle we all went through the cravings that you are feeling now and quite honestly, if that's how you were always going to feel, I don't think quitting would be worth it . But that is the whole point Kyle, there IS LIFE AFTER QUITTING. It is the life we left behind before we fell into this addiction and it is a life we can reclaim. It is a beautiful, calm natural life that was always yours Kyle. 
12 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley,

I realize what you are saying and I believe that it is correct. I will not allow my mind to trick me into having just one cigarette as I am positive that it will only lead me back into the throws of my addiction. If I do decide to ever have another cigarette, it would be an admission that I am giving up on quitting completely. I believe that I have the willpower to manage my nicotine cravings for a set period of time. My concern is that I will have these same cravings for the rest of my life. I am trying to convince myself that it will get easier over time but it is difficult to know for sure as this is the longest I've gone without a cigarette since first becoming addicted. I can only hope that I will not always be plagued with constant cravings as honestly I don't think I'll be able to handle it like this forever. One day at a time...one day at a time....tomorrow is another day!

Kyle
12 years ago 0 87 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley.  Do I really want to quit?  Indeed.
One little puff leads to endless addiction.
A little reward?  Seeing oneself in the shop window as a non-smoker one the way to the store for a nice watermelon, pear, peaches, etc
A flick on the elastic band on the wrist reminds one that there is no going back and keep walking or washing the hands, brushing the teeth, whatever.  Strategy!!
Salute Freedom.
P.S.  My stash is almost gone and will not be replaced.
Tomorrow is Weedless Wednesday for me!
12 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Newbies,

Even if you are 100% dedicated to quitting withdrawal symptoms may put these types of questions into your mind:

•    What if I have just one tiny little puff? Is that so bad?
•    I’ve done such a great job so far, one quick drag is like a little reward for doing so well...
•    Do I really want to quit? If I really think about it I really like smoking and maybe I’m just the kind of person who smokes...
•    If I’ve come this far I can certainly come back and reach this stage again...

This is your addiction talking. How can/do you counter this thinking?

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: