Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,535 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Myth or Fact

15 years ago 0 916 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I agree with you Peteg. We should considr ourselves nonsmokers; Nonsmokers will spend the rest of their lives without a single puff, so we should acomplish that. In order to become a nonsmoker, we should recognize that we didn't leave our best friend behind; we became free!! Nobody wants to be a slave, ergo we don't want to smoke for the rest of our life!
Marivi

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 55
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 825
Amount Saved: $82.50
Life Gained:
Days: 6 Hrs: 6 Mins: 0 Seconds: 45

15 years ago 0 80 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So much for instant gratification.
Grrr.

Still, wouldn't you agree that one critical component of a quit is not only to imagine oneself as a non-smoker, but indeed to affirm that from that last smoke extinghished, one is a non-smoker?  Not just a former smoker or ex-smoker, but from the moment we quit, we must realize ourselves to be non-smokers?

A change in self-identity and self-awareness has been enormously helpful for me, and it was not a change that I "earned" over time; it was a change I effected when I FINALLY put the last one out.  I renew and re-affirm that change every time I choose not to smoke.

Now if I could just get over my addiction to hyphens!

peteg

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 2/10/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 36
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,800
Amount Saved: $405.00
Life Gained:
Days: 6 Hrs: 17 Mins: 37 Seconds: 51

15 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
  Dear members,

Did you know?

Myth: Quitting smoking should be a short simple process.

Fact: The fact is, that smoking is a learned behaviour that takes a long time to unlearn. Allow yourself, both physically and emotionally, some time to recover from your quit and ease into your new lifestyle.  This actual length of the quit process varies from one individual to the next but in most, if not all cases, it last much longer than initially anticipated. 

Ashley

Reading this thread: