Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,540 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Stress

15 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Peteg,

Great attitude!  Keep it up

Karen, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Stress is a product of anger. Plain and simple!

Stress is created by an angry mind. It is not the situatiion that causes stress but our reaction to the situation we find ourselves in. It is the tension in us that arises between what we want to happen and what is actually happening.

Control your anger, in fact, refuse to get angry and you will be stress free.

Penitent who is as happy as Larry and carefree! Love it!!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/18/2004
Smoke-Free Days: 1738
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 43,450
Amount Saved: �10,862.50
Life Gained:
Days: 294 Hrs: 9 Mins: 3 Seconds: 50

• Quit Meter

$56,837.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1125 Hours: 19

Minutes: 37 Seconds: 10

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 355 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well said Pete.
Angie

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/30/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 51
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 612
Amount Saved: $269.28
Life Gained:
Days: 4 Hrs: 13 Mins: 49 Seconds: 51

15 years ago 0 80 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
"He who angers me controls me."
Don't know who said it, and Google (for once!!) isn't being real helpful, but I believe it's true.  Ah, Bartlett's.  Where are you when I need you??  (Oh yeah.  On line.  We used to pour through something called "Reference Books," such as Bartlett's Quotations, but I can scarcely remember such a time.)

I do know that Eleanor Roosevelt is famous for saying that no one could upset us without our permission.

Anyone who says he or she was so upset, so mad, so sad, so whatever, that they just HAD to have a cigarette is simply not ready to quit.  I've been around that block so many times they had to re-pave it twice.  The real quit is the one that we control, not the one that controls us and tries to force us to do what we're not really ready to do.

In my experience, when we're ready, we ride the waves of the quit; we're not beaten down by them.  But I will not blame another person for my choice to go buy a pack of cigarettes.  I might be only in the single digit days of my quit, but I've done this enough times to know that any excuse is good enough to send me to the minimart.  I deserve better than that for myself, and it's about time I started treating myself with some respect.

pete

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 2/10/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 8
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 400
Amount Saved: $90.00
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 15 Mins: 15 Seconds: 42

15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,
Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, you just can't change the source of your stress. You have to accept that you cannot change what other people do or say to you. In this case the focus needs to be on learning ways to calm your stress, self-sooth and reduce the negative impact that stress has on your body, mind, and overall well-being. Try reframing the stressful situation. Don't give control of your emotions to someone else. Tell yourself there's no reason why someone else's behaviour should ruin your day. You can also attempt to change what a high stress situation means to you. If you have a big assignment coming up, avoid thinking that your entire career or self worth depends on how well you do. Your life is very seldom changed in a single instant. Do your best, and remind yourself that there will always be more opportunities in the future. Don't expect perfection.

Faryal - Health Educator

Reading this thread: