Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Positive Thinking

15 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

It's very nice to see all of your great input and oppinions. Thank you for sharing with us!

Ladycigevictor,

Great video! It's very nice to see quit videos and blogs, these features can be very helpful to demonstrate your qui.

Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 1209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great topic,   and we are going to have ups and downs as part of life.... but I found on this site.  Don't look at quitting smoking as giving something up... You are taking back control... of your life, your health, your time and your money.

Smoking is an addiction, that  cigarette is NOT a friend.

I still have a few craves.. mostly now before a "milestone" or personal goal.   When I push my "triggers"   I come here and I read the posts from the newbies, or those who have re-started quits.....   I don't want to repeat those first 30 days,  and I know  one will lead me right back to a pack a day..   A crave is only temporary.

Stay stron and focused,,  saying NO is powerful,  Bnnie

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 2/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 179
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,043
Amount Saved: $608.60
Life Gained:
Days: 25 Hrs: 15 Mins: 50 Seconds: 26

15 years ago 0 1160 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Pat, that is exactly the thing I love about you. You are an inspiritation! Positive thinkers rock.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/4/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 398
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 7,960
Amount Saved: $1,592.00
Life Gained:
Days: 53 Hrs: 13 Mins: 36 Seconds: 31

15 years ago 0 925 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sylvie,
I love these discussions on the power of positive thinking.  No one can be positive all the time but with practice I think it can make an enormous difference in our lives.  SSC has so many successful quitters that try to help others put positive spins on their quits.  It was this positive support that made my quit fun (yes it was work too...but happy work).

I do believe your statement below is absolutely 100 % correct (and is even a little better with just a couple of minor adjustments).

"Positive thinking can be IS a very powerful tool to use in everyday life. Those who use positive thinking are more likely to anticipate happiness, joy and a successful outcome to every situation. Some say that whatever the mind expects, it finds." 
Pat

PS ...have you seen my quit video?

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/28/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 555
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 22,200
Amount Saved: $11,100.00
Life Gained:
Days: 67 Hrs: 18 Mins: 37 Seconds: 5

• Quit Meter

$120,364.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 958 Hours: 18

Minutes: 13 Seconds: 24

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When I first quit smoking it was tough to stay positive, but for the most part I succeeded because I did alot of self talking.  I told myself that I can look at it in a negative (dang I sure wished I could smoke) or in a more positive way (I'm glad Im not a prisoner of nicotine any longer).  This compared to my last quit, being positive made this one a lot easier. 

Kasi

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/3/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 29
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 580
Amount Saved: $123.25
Life Gained:
Days: 2 Hrs: 16 Mins: 21 Seconds: 10

15 years ago 0 515 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I know, for me, it was advised early in my quit not to dwell on the negative. So i stopped dwelling on "how hard quitting is" "how much quitting sucks" etc. when I changed my negative to postive even thou my moods were "off" and i was somewhat depressed it made a HUGE difference in my quit. Quit time went by faster and quitting just got easier. I really noticed a difference, thanks to the people here who helped me a such a critical time
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/7/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 207
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,726
Amount Saved: $1,453.14
Life Gained:
Days: 18 Hrs: 17 Mins: 38 Seconds: 27

15 years ago 0 649 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good Morning Sylvie............Hope today finds you well.

This is an aspect of quitting smoking that really took me back, surprised, if you will.  I have had a positive attitude my whole adult life and feel I've had a good life.  I've been a glass half full person.  But when I put the cigarettes down my frame of mind took a complete 180.  I've never lost control of my emotions to that degree before.  I searched every corner to find some positivity and for a couple months I simply could not find it.  Thankfully, that has turned around and I'm finding my way back to my old,new self sans the cigs. 

I don't think i'm alone in that experience.  I think it just goes to show the strength of the addiction.  Why some people can remain happy, positive, and others go thru depression and other issues when quitting will probably remain a mystery.  A positive attitude is essential but I don't think it is that simple when it comes to the human mind and ridding yourself of an addiction like this.

As for life in general, I think the power of positive thinking  will get us a  long way  for a fulfilling life.

Have a great weekend everyone!!!!!!!!!!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/19/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 256
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,840
Amount Saved: $864.00
Life Gained:
Days: 41 Hrs: 4 Mins: 35 Seconds: 53

15 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

Positive thinking can be a very powerful tool to use in everyday life. Those who use positive thinking are more likely to anticipate happiness, joy and a successful outcome to every situation. Some say that whatever the mind expects, it finds.

Members, what are your thoughts on the powers of positive thinking?

Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: