Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,473 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

Smoking is Cool

15 years ago 0 130 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I never thought about it being cool or not - everyone smoked when I was teen and they smoked everywhere.  Nothing, absolutely nothing, was known about the ramifications of long time smoking, except by the tobacco companies and they certainly weren't going to publicize it.  Gradually, most of my friends and family quit smoking - but not me.  No, I just kept on never knowing how addicted I was.  Smoking was a choice and I chose to smoke.  I finally chose not to.

I agree with Karren, with all that is now known about long term - and in some cases short term - smoking, I cannot understand for the life of me why anyone would want to start.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/22/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 243
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 4,860
Amount Saved: $1,506.60
Life Gained:
Days: 31 Hrs: 4 Mins: 23 Seconds: 57

15 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I also thought smoking was cool when I was young.  My entire family smoked and though I hated it, it was the grown up thing to do.  I was probably addicted prior to the first puff due to second hand smoke.  It was a very liberating feeling to smoke when I was young.  Now it is quite the oppososite.  This is the fisrt time I have not only been smoke free but also nicotine free in years. 
15 years ago 0 130 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I believe the reasons kids start today are basically the same as when I started. It's cool, you look grown up. Even with the information available today on how bad it is, I think they start for simple reasons.

I'll be 50 next year - I sense my mortality. I don't believe I did at 18 years old. I was going to live forever then. I think that's part of the trap. Young people don't see the long term ramifications of their actions. They are thinking about right here and right now. I think that's a big factor as well.

If only they'd just outlaw cigarettes.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/6/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 16
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 480
Amount Saved: $110.40
Life Gained:
Days: 2 Hrs: 16 Mins: 52 Seconds: 47

15 years ago 0 71 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When I started smoking 42 years ago it was the cool in thing. Almost everybody smoked back then, didn't even think about it. My mom would buy me cigs when I was 15. She figured I was going to smoke anyways. Now this trying to get off them
is the worst thing I have had to do. I am reading Allen Carr's book. I've tried everything else. Now I do realize it is mind over matter. DJ

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/28/2008
Smoke-Free Days: -5
Cigarettes Not Smoked: -80
Amount Saved: $-14.60
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 0 Mins: 0 Seconds: -53042

15 years ago 0 135 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I smoked for 20 years and I never thought it was cool.
For 20 years I only smoked when I was alone.  I always had in my mind never smoke in front of children.
I believe a very few people have seen me smoking in 20 years, I always had the idea that smoking was ugly.

I know.. I am mad crazy living being!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/8/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 13
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 234
Amount Saved: $23.40
Life Gained:
Days: 2 Hrs: 1 Mins: 6 Seconds: 35

15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes I have thought smoking was cool and at the time it probably was considered by most to be cool. Pop stars smoked, models, movie stars all were seen smoking, it was a sign of being trendy and grown up. However,..................remember too that at this time the effects of smoking were not fully explored and there was nowhere near the information and education there is today.
I have little sympathy for those who start nowadays, they are fully aware from the start of the long term health damage, financial costs and anti social effect this habit impacts on both them and others.
The only thing I was aware of was that I would be in trouble with my parents because it was a habit reserved for adults.

I am happy that young people think smoking is on the whole 'un-cool' my daughter, hates loathes and detests smoking and smokers thank goodness.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 72
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,800
Amount Saved: $1,080.00
Life Gained:
Days: 8 Hrs: 12 Mins: 18 Seconds: 18

Reading this thread: