Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

What we know about stress at work

15 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Awesome advice!

What to be pro-active and use a coping technique!

Josie, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 15 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow!!!!! Neen I totally here you.  Actually one of the things I miss about smoking is the fact that I actually got breaks.  I actually physicaly got up of my chair and went out of my office and sat down on a rock(funny how you did the same thing) and enjoyed every single inhale of that cigarette.  Whenever I have quit in the past I didn't really go out for breaks.  My office is insanely busy and if I don't smoke I don't have to leave.  Well from now on that will change.  From now on I will get out of my chair, walk out of my office and go sit on my rock and breathe.  I'm sure that air just tastes so much better than the nasty cigarette air when inhaled deeply into the lungs.   Thanks for that.  I wonder will this also work whenever I am ready to kick my other half's backside because he doesn't feel like getting up long enough to put on some rice and wash a dish or two or when my incredibly intelligent children pretend that they need me to help them clean their rooms (meaning clean it all while they watch) because they don't know where to put whatever.   
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/2/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 4
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 56
Amount Saved: $21.84
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 7 Mins: 50 Seconds: 58

15 years ago 0 13 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Stress and smoking ~ No, smoking doesn't help relieve stress, but do you know why it seemed that way?  Finally I can contribute something positive here - how excited am I??? 

I don't know about all of you, but anywhere I smoked (except home) was seriously taboo - so when I did it, I hid somewhere AWAY from everyone, except the other SANE smokers of course ~~  I would sit, light a cig, and smoke it ~ and what is smoking?  It is deep, controlled breathing - how do non-smokers relieve stress?  deep, controlled breathing!!  Unfortunately, we were also poisoning ourselves, but we were practicing stress-relief - WE ALL KNOW HOW TO DO THIS ALREADY!!!!  I know, you're excited too aren't you - one part of this IS easy after all!

Even though I don't smoke anymore, I still go outside during "that time" - breaks ~ non-smokers call this time!  I still sit in my secluded spot, on my rock, I close my eyes, go to my happy place and B R E A T H E in all that fresh air with the sun shining on my face.  It really helps me to refocus and slow back down (mentally and physically) so I can be productive (and calm!!)  I do this for my am break, lunch does it on its own (a time of ease) and I do it again for my afternoon break, everyday!

Try this, not only should it help relieve stress, but the fact that you can breathe in so deep, without wheezing, should also reinforce the reason why you quit smoking in the first place, not to mention helping you to SEE the benefits you are gaining by not smoking!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/25/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 12
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 240
Amount Saved: $34.80
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 4 Mins: 28 Seconds: 10

15 years ago 0 75 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm starting to see that stress and it's big brother anxiety need to be delt with in different ways than when we smoked. For one thing I realized that smoking causes more stress and anxiety.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/3/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 2
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 34
Amount Saved: $8.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 11 Mins: 36 Seconds: 49

15 years ago 0 15 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Stress at work is my biggest hurdle to get through.  I always say that my way of dealing with stress was to have a cigarette.  Even though logically I know it didn't help with anything, emotionally I though differently.  Stress always justified why I smoked.  This time around I'm hoping to learn new ways of dealing with stress.  I want to quit and quit for good.  In order to do that I have to cope with stress in a healthy way.  Let's  face it, no matter where we work and how much we love or hate our jobs there is always stress.  Some jobs are more stressfull and some are less.  The whole point is that stress is an everyday occurance.  Stress is my trigger.  The big one.  I want to learn how to deal with stress without touching a smoke. 

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/2/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 3
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 42
Amount Saved: $16.38
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 6 Mins: 7 Seconds: 40

15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

In the past week, we’ve been talking about stress management. Contrary to popular belief, stress is not a given when it comes to working. Stress at work often leads to:

°  Decrease commitment

°  Decreased productivity

°  Increase in incidence of mental health illnesses such as anxiety & depression

°  Increased incidence of absenteeism

°  Decreased recruitment & retention

°  Decreased customer satisfaction

From this list, you should conclude that learning how to cope effectively with stress in the workplace can result in a better work environment. It also makes you a better employee. If you encourage others to do the same, a better boss or coworker!

How does stress impact you at work?

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: