Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Rough week

10 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well Done Kristine!

Congratulations on 3 months...Onwards and upwards to 6 months!  It will feel even more amazing when you get there.  Keep looking forward and plan a really good reward for half a year quit.

Whatever it takes, just don't smoke!                               NEVER LOOK BACK!  THE FUTURE IS AHEAD!

Love Lolly.   
10 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I bet it does but don't underestimate your achievement, 3 months is huge and should be rewarded!

It will get easier. Perhaps not today, nor tomorrow but keep doing what you are doing and that day will come.

Wishing you and your husband well.
Penitent

• Quit Meter

$56,408.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1117 Hours: 3

Minutes: 36 Seconds: 33

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 54 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for asking! I am feeling better. Work hasn't improved much, but I got through feeling like smoking was the solution. :) This morning my husband mentioned that we are coming up on three months smoke-free and I had to laugh because it feels like it has been a hundred years. But I am getting through it one day at a time!
10 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Another week passes. How are you feeling now Kristine?

Penitent  
  • Quit Meter

$56,408.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1117 Hours: 3

Minutes: 36 Seconds: 33

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kristine - You really sound like you're a valuable employee.  I hope you find a new job that appreciates your attention to detail, hard work and long hours invested!  Meantime, keep up the great work of taming those pesky craves.  You are doing excellent!!  It is far from easy, and yet you are winning the battle!  I am cheering for YOU getting the promotion soon!!!
Hi Lemontwist - Good for you to recognize your quit process in Kristine's circumstance. You are making it work and doing great too :)  I see WOI has found some wise words of advice for you too.
10 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kristine,

Sorry that you had a rough one. Those episodes will happen from time to time. However, the will decrease in frequency and intensity over time.

When it happens, it's best to just remind yourself that it will pass, and that it's still most likely way less intense than those first few days were.  
  • Quit Meter

$22,366.45

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 597 Hours: 19

Minutes: 46 Seconds: 26

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 96 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kristine, I think you and I are virtual twins or something!!

I also wish that the rogue craving would just disappear, especially in times of stress, but I find what works for me is just to try and ignore everything but work while I'm there (which is easy when I'm super busy), then focus intently on getting home after work, and quickly change into my pyjamas and get so comfortable that I don't want to leave to buy cigarettes or go outside (especially now that it's cold and snowing) and smoke.

Fortunately being super busy at work means I just wouldn't even have time to smoke even if I still did, and I try to think about how miserable my busy days at work would be if I had to spend all my busy time anxious about when I could go outside and smoke. I also really hate my job, but for totally different reasons, so I can't completely relate but understand how frustrating it can be.

Hang in there, I hope things get better! 
10 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kristine82, 

Sorry to hear you are going through a crunch-time at work.  I can understand how your situation can induce lots of stress!  
I, for one, am so happy to know that despite the triggers and heightened stressors, you stayed strong and didn't give in to the lingering cravings.  When you think honestly to yourself - how would having a smoke have helped the situation at all?  
Instead, what are other activities you can do that can help you take your mind off work stress?  What brings you a feeling of peace and calm?  Hope you had a good start to another week. 
Here for you,
Vincenza, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 54 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I had a really rough work week last week. All these deadlines hit at the same time and I felt like I was pulling off miracle after miracle for my clients just to have them be even more nasty and demanding. This is a really critical time every year because our clients renew their relationships with us in January, so I can't let anything fall through the cracks or I will risk someone not coming back, but at least in previous years I was working toward a performance bonus. This year my company is about to merge with another company and my boss has basically checked out. So even if all my clients renew, I could easily be laid off by the new company in a few months. I'm working and working and working for possibly nothing at all except making a couple of rich people richer.

I've actually been doing pretty well with the not smoking but last week really tested me. After working from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday, I immediately had to go out to a drinks thing to celebrate one of my good friends getting a huge promotion at her job, which just compounded how ****ty I was feeling. I wound up crying to my husband at midnight about how badly I needed to smoke. I couldn't believe the urge was so strong after all this time, but it was. I felt like nothing else could possibly make me feel better.

I didn't smoke, though, and I got through the weekend without smoking, even though the craving stayed with me the whole time.

After having a really cheerful month or so of not smoking, I'm so sad because I cannot believe I am STILL FEELING LIKE THIS. When is it going to stop?

Reading this thread: