Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,520 Members

Please welcome our newest members: FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12

The Store was out of my brand

15 years ago 0 598 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi bhunter,
Just thinking about you. Are you doing alright? Hope it all worked out with your money. You have overcome some tough periods in your life. I know that you can keep your quit....just don't quit quitting. Let us know how you are doing.

new me

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/26/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 413
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 10,325
Amount Saved: $2,581.25
Life Gained:
Days: 57 Hrs: 14 Mins: 45 Seconds: 50

15 years ago 0 598 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi bhunter,
Congrats on making it through the "quick trip store" temptation. That was a hard one for me in the beginning also. I could barely drive by a corner store without getting hit with the smoking nag. It is much better now. I only go in there for the gum that I need for the week at work! I remember you from this site a few times during the past year. I am glad that you are back and facing this addiction for another round...you are the winner. Do not quit quitting. You have a solid base of knowledge and the right attitude to stay smoke free. You can do it. And remember, smoking is a choice.

new me

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/26/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 404
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 10,100
Amount Saved: $2,525.00
Life Gained:
Days: 56 Hrs: 6 Mins: 56 Seconds: 0

15 years ago 0 136 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi B...I smoked 2 to 2 1/2 packs a day for 35 years. And I just heard last night of a woman who has been quit for 8 weeks who smoked for 50 years.  I believe in my heart that there is no person who can NOT quit. But it takes a commitment to it and a huge amount of hard work to make it happen.  That can be overwhelming if I look ahead or if I look to my past and all my attempts to quit. That's why I say to stay right here, right now in the present as much as you can.

You are doing great, B! 27 days today is awesome...how about a little treat for yourself?

Rusty

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/13/2004
Smoke-Free Days: 1292
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 65,892
Amount Saved: $14,825.70
Life Gained:
Days: 115 Hrs: 6 Mins: 10 Seconds: 23

15 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rusty, did you use to smoke two packs a day?

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/1/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 25
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 875
Amount Saved: $319.38
Life Gained:
Days: 2 Hrs: 17 Mins: 55 Seconds: 34

Thanks. I think part of what was going on is that I was at the 68 hour mark of detoxing. I think I was still physically withdrawing. I think I now know that the law firm hasn't yet sent the rest of my money to the trust fund. I can take care of the problem Monday. Smoking won't make Monday come sooner.

My Milage:

Life Gained:
Days: 2 Hrs: 17 Mins: 54 Seconds: 39

15 years ago 0 136 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
bgaines, Josie is right. You need to keep talking all of this out and we are here to listen. And you know it all works out. Sometimes we do the talking and you do the listening. We all cry and we all hug and we all commiserate with each other and congratulate each other. So we're here for you. You've been through a lot, and you must be such a strong person to have weathered so much. Focus on the now...not on the past and not on tomorrow. Just focus on getting through today.

Rusty

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/13/2004
Smoke-Free Days: 1291
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 65,841
Amount Saved: $14,814.23
Life Gained:
Days: 115 Hrs: 5 Mins: 27 Seconds: 3

15 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
bgaines,

Thanks for being honest and sharing.  The store didn't have your brand and this means something!  It happened for a reason, you continued forward and moved passed it.  You are beginning to dive into the emotional side of the quit and it is important to talk it through and stay true to your resolve.  The junkie will put many thoughts in your head and you need to stay strong.

Posting and journaling are a great idea to help sort out thoughts, emotions and triggers.  Let us know how we can help.

Josie, Health Educator
I can't figure out where my trust fund money is located. I was under the impression that the lawyer paid my trust fund when the lawyer sent me a few hundred, but the trust fund says I don't have enough money to pay a small bill. I fooled myself into thinking that I was just going for a walk. I ended up at a corner store. Luckily, they were out of my brand and I came to my senses. I remembered my cousin telling me that she still gets blindsided sometimes and she hasn't smoked in four years. I was reminded that everyone goes through periods of cravings. Those periods just get father and farther apart and you learn other ways of dealing with them each time you go through one and don't smoke. I blew a two year quit, years ago, and haven't been able to stop since. The games are more intense this time, partly because I know I'll never stop craving cigarettes. I didn't during the first quit. And I've met a person who started back after being cigarette free for ten. What I have to keep telling myself is that it does get easier. What did me in the last time was: one of my sisters was doused in gasoline and set on fire. She left a 20 month old son--the son of the guy who set her on fire. I started a new corporate job a few days before the funeral. I was being sexually harassed, and then the earthquake of '89 (San Francisco) happened. I followed a co-worker outside and asked for a cigarette. Wanted the entire pack right away. That was followed by embarrassment and sneaking to smoke. Then the games: "I can quit at anytime. After all, I quit for two years." I didn't start to feel like I could quit again, until I met people who blew long quits. I think because I stopped being embarrassed. People don't smoke again. Play every game you have to to stay stopped. When I stopped for two years, early on I had to tell myself I didn't smoke when I did--and not start counting again. I didn't set the record straight until after a month of not smoking passed. Frankly, I think embarrassment has a negative affect of me.

I don't know why that little store didn't have my brand or why I didn't leave and walk a block to the next store. I know I've got make it through the cravings.

My Milage:

Life Gained:
Days: 2 Hrs: 17 Mins: 41 Seconds: 42

Reading this thread: