Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,491 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

Smoking is a lifestyle CHOICE

17 years ago 0 87 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kiwi, thank you so much for posting that quote!! I am writting a paper and the urge to smoke is insane, just hearing how smoking wont help really helps me.
18 years ago 0 506 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It is tough. Quitting is simple (you just don't smoke), but not easy. We've messed with our endocrine system and neurotransmitters for years and expect it all to shape up in weeks. At least, that's how I sum up my frustration. Believe me, I empathize about this. But I do have periods of respite now; whereas between 30 and 50 days when I expected some relief, I got virtually none. That was a very tough time for me, and I suspect for those with similar quits. I am speculating that (from what I've read, and what people have testified to and, my long history of heavy smoking) it will take my nicotine-altered systems between 6 months and a year to really start to normalize again. Now that seems like forever to an addict, but really it's nothing. But for me, anyway....pretty hard to wrap my head around. If it happens sooner, well, I'll be thrilled; don't get me wrong! But I must say, it is getting a little better at this point, and that's something to hold on to ...versus the alternative... which bites! I think it's better to be prepared for a tough time. If it is easier- great. If it's not, at least you're not surprised. But it sure would be great if you quit, went through a week of hell, and then were free. Wouldn't it? Oh well....not one puff ever. ;p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 66 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,640 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $594 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
18 years ago 0 208 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks you guys.. I guess I better find a funny, salsa lovin' dude at the gym;-). Just working and going to school ain't cuttin' it :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 79 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,373 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $553 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
18 years ago 0 208 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
OK Kiwi, Since I'm feeling the lack of dopamine and I've read your stats, I have to ask.. Have you found normal yet? I'm hanging on, hoping and waiting to feel "normal" again. I feel so "blah", I have no enthusiasm for anything anymore and consider going back to smoking just to feel "normal" again. I haven't done it and don't plan on it, but it has been in my thoughts quit a bit lately. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 78 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,369 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $546 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
18 years ago 0 672 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi guys.... phreaknbz, Have i returned to normal ? i guess that depends...what is normal ? N2k says it nicely - but generally i feel like a great weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I can resolve lifes little dramas alot better, i am more alert, more aware of my surroundings & consequenses my actions may bring to others... i generally feel a real calmness. A quote from a previou post of mine that may aid you.... [quote] I will share a little secret with you.... When i stopped smoking i decided i was not going to smoke for 1 year, even if it killed me. I prepared to put my whole life on hold for a year for this quit. I prepared to be miserable & was even ready to accept all the destructiveness i was going to cause amongst family, friends & work collegues. Guess what... 1 year on & i'm obviously still alive, i'm still in the samejob, there are still a few people left who talk to me plus i can't believe some of the things i've accomplished this 'smokefree' year. I'm a quiet, unsociable, shy guy with no willpower who quit 'cold turkey', what does that say ! the point is..... how ready are you ??? seriously - do you really want to stop smoking ? [/quote] Don't get me wrong, I am still a nicotine addict, i still like the smell of a burning cigarette (especially roll-your-own tobacco). I may even return to smoking one day, who knows ? but right now i enjoy feeling the way i do & being a non-smoker & $$$ you save as a non-smoker. Don't wait to feel "normal" again, my advice would be to be positive.. believe me it works ! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 479 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,981 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3113.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 68 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
  • Quit Meter

$12,469.62

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 623 Hours: 21

Minutes: 17 Seconds: 20

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 672 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
A previous SCC member when returning to smoking recently posted.... [quote] I no longer feel so depressed but I know that this is due to the fact that I am self medicating with nicotine and thus keeping my emotions at bay. Feelings are depressed and I am no longer searching for my worth and place in the world. I simply smoke and smoke and smoke some more. [/quote] Another helpfull post.... [url=http://www.stopsmokingcenter.net/support/viewmessages.aspx?forum=1&topic=24919]Shevie's Post - Rewards, nicotine, and the brain[/url] Learn from this ... this is how we all felt when we smoked. Once the 'fog clears' & the fight for inner peace subsides we begin to understand. ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 476 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,915 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3094 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 68 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
  • Quit Meter

$12,469.62

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 623 Hours: 21

Minutes: 17 Seconds: 20

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 1450 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
"there" are some key words too And here's a couple more that are not on there 'hot salsa' and 'intense laughter'
18 years ago 0 1450 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes it would be Rob~lol Heya, as as long as were having fun wishN... ;) I used 2think 'wouldn't it be great if smoking wasn't bad for me.' However, in the past few weeks I've experienced a change of heart (or perhaps my brain stays high thanks to the dopamine dealer at the gym ;)). At any rate (my point is coming any second now ;p) I don't think like that anymore. I no longer believe I want to smoke [i]even if[/i] it somehow were 'no longer' unhealthy. The void is gone, the intense craves/urges are gone and I've found better (more enjoyable) things to do. Sure, I'm an addict so I'll always remember NOPE when I need it. But what's great is: I rarely need it. So for some of us it not only gets 'better'... Not smoking becomes the new 'normal'. I hope it happens for you. [color=blue][font=Tahoma]All the best~[/color] [img]http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6922/n3us.gif[/img][size=3][color=blue]2[/color][/size][img]http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/2344/k6ob.gif[/img][/color] P.S. On Shevie's thread they are some key words everyone should note. Exercise Chocolate Sex etc. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/20/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 248 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,457 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1240 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rob, Fantastic insight and well done on 66 days! We can all learn from one another. Keep Strong, Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: