Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Social anxiety disorder

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.756 posts in 47.057 threads.

160,718 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Julesy, grames, rainyjade, AJ8142, HIngle_McCringleberry

What is it like to relapse

18 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ryan, I don't know what post you're talking about or where to find it, but I DO know what it's like to relapse... At first, you don't really care, because you haven't really figured out that you've relapsed yet. At first, you only smoke on the weekends or every once in a while and you think, "hey! I can smoke once just while I'm at the bar... this isn't so bad. I'm still quit... I just smoke sometimes... that doesn't REALLY make me a smoker." Then, when you're smoking full time again, and you're waking up every morning coughing, and you're back to wasting your hard-earned money everyday on cigarettes, and you start freaking out when you go places where smoking isn't allowed, and you're right back to the exact same amount that you smoked before, if not more... then, you realize "oh crap! What have I done?!?!?!?!?!" You start feeling guilty because you know that you blew it but you don't think you have the patience, energy or desire to try again. You go into denial saying, "well, I quit once, so I can quit again sometime in the future... I proved to myself that I CAN do it... I'm just not ready right now... but I'll quit again sometime." And you start making excuses for why you blew your quit... your job is too stressful, you just CAN'T go out to the bars without a cigarette, your significant other smokes and since you have to be around them, you may as well do it too... the list goes on and on. The bottom line is that you become a smoker who wishes they could quit. That's something I hope I never am again. Been there, done that, NOT going there again! Crave the Quit! Butterfly [IMG]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/kissnflirt/littlebutterflies.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 114 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,868 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $376.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
18 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Speaking from past experiences, when I did the whole "I can smoke when I drink" thing, it usually took me about a month to 2 months before I was smoking when I wasn't drinking. I know of one girl who "quit" but still smoked when she drank... except she rationalized to my cousin (her boyfriend who "quit" with her) that she only smoked when she drank... but didn't specify WHAT the drink had to be... she was smoking with her morning coffee, smoking when she went over to friends' houses to have lemonade... as long as she was "drinking" she could smoke... but she still told everyone she was quit. Boy, the things we addicts will come up with when we want a cigarette!!!! Just don't smoke... and you won't have to realize what it's like to relapse! Crave the Quit! Butterfly [IMG]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/kissnflirt/littlebutterflies.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 114 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,868 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $376.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
18 years ago 0 14 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think all of the times I took that first puff again I felt really guilty..someone wrote something about that. How long do you think you can do the whole, "I'm only gonna smoke at the bars" thing? I know this girl who tried to quit and she made it about a week. After that she told me that she only smokes when she drinks. I think she drinks quite a bit though. Are these people going through withdrawl when they don't smoke or what?
  • Quit Meter

$37,765.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 781 Hours: 23

Minutes: 17 Seconds: 42

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 14 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ok, a while ago someone posted a very interesting description of what it is like to relapse. Does anyone have this post or where can I find something similar to it. In the past, I have had many slips. This is my final quit (going on 8 months) and I just want to make sure that I know smoking will make things worse and I want to remember exactly how much it sucks to relapse. Thanks.
  • Quit Meter

$37,765.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 781 Hours: 23

Minutes: 17 Seconds: 42

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ryan, I think it's called Pay Attention You Might Learn Something. I just bumped it for you. Rusty
  • Quit Meter

$55,099.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 650 Hours: 17

Minutes: 9 Seconds: 58

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ryan, Do a search in the forums and type in relapse as the key word. This may surface the lost post you are looking for. Keep Strong, Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: