Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,486 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd

Quitting as a couple

13 years ago 0 230 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Welcome and congrats on quitting smoking!

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 11/6/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 208
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 8,320
Amount Saved: $2,080.00
Life Gained:
Days: 23 Hrs: 16 Mins: 47 Seconds: 0

13 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Schnookie!!!

Congrats on you and your hubby remaining smoke-free well past Hell Week and on into Heck Week...  Alive!!! 

Old habits are hard to break, but both of you must have done just that to get to the 12 day mark!  Just change the wording up a bit and go outside to "stretch the body  or  breath in that awesome fresh air  or  lose a few ounces (a little walk)"  or  do as we do and tour the garden!  That's our ritual. You can still go out together, just change the wording!  The important thing is to just  NOT  smoke!  Heck, if y'all can make it this long smoke-free without any bruises, I'm betting that you will do great on this journey!  Just remember NOPE... Not One Puff Ever!... because we're all just a puff away from a pack a day!

Jim

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 819
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 20,475
Amount Saved: $3,378.38
Life Gained:
Days: 141 Hrs: 2 Mins: 12 Seconds: 48

• Quit Meter

$44,205.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1058 Hours: 0

Minutes: 33 Seconds: 27

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

13 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, welcome and congratulations on your 12 days, thats amazing. My husband and I quit as a couple more or less. He did actually quit before me, but as I did not want to be the only smoker in the family, and plus I was ready to quit too, I soon followed hot on his heels.
Quitting together is good, you can encourage and praise each others success. As for the changing habits like the one of going outside that you mentioned, well I would say try and change the routine. Yes go outside, but maybe take a walk around the garden or walk up your road, anything that distracts from what you'd have previously done prior to your quit.
Keep up the great work and good luck to both of you.

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 753
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 18,825
Amount Saved: $11,295.00
Life Gained:
Days: 91 Hrs: 22 Mins: 20 Seconds: 43

13 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi schnookie,

Congratulations to you and your husband for making the decision to quit smoking and for being quit for over 1 week! Excellent! It will take some time to break your habit of asking each other to go out to smoke. You can try switching up your behaviour by asking each other to go for walks instead. Walks are an excellent chance to talk and catch up on the day, great exercise and also to enjoy the fresh air.

Members, do you have any other suggestions, tips or tricks for breaking up a routine?

Samantha, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 242 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Schnookie!
Congratulations and Welcome to SSC  your doing really good as a couple.  I know excactly what you mean by inviting each other out for a cigarette. My husband and I would do the same thing, we haven't smoked  in the house since year 2000  so we spent a lot of time in the garage smoking it was almost like our quality time together talking about work or family matters ect... The difference is I stoped smoking by myself and my husband is very supportive, he also wants to stop someday when he is ready.  It was very hard at first  I did miss that time we spent together but I stayed away from the garage for 3 months.  Now I don't even want to go in the garage cause it smells like old cigarettes.  Maybe your husband and yourself can invite each other for a walk instead or go out for a coffee. 
Your doing great so keep the quit.....
Memie      

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 1/25/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 128
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,280
Amount Saved: $512.00
Life Gained:
Days: 15 Hrs: 15 Mins: 58 Seconds: 38

13 years ago 0 251 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations to both of you for the 12 days smoke free!!! You are so absolutely true about the habit... it is one of the hardest things one can fight. In my case there were no shortcuts I could take. It is an addiction and the withdrawal has to run its course. So, even when I was not craving I still wanted to go outside and smoke, my hand would try to get that cigarette or lighter when I was driving, the first thing that came to mind when angry was to go and have a smoke... I don't know if there is a way to block all these... All I know is that, in time, it does get better. And instead of triggers you get thoughts of smoking. Instead of cravings you get the memories of when you were a smoker... It takes a little bit of time to get there. Sometimes I think I am there. And sometimes I still feel like I am missing something... But the ones that keep me going are the ones that achieved the ultimate goal - they are non-smokers and not even remembering there was a day when they smoked. Wouldn't that be amazing?
Enjoy the rollercoaster ride!
Keep the quit
Cristina

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 10/5/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 240
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 8,400
Amount Saved: $1,092.00
Life Gained:
Days: 22 Hrs: 19 Mins: 26 Seconds: 35

13 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't know what I did there...
I'll start over.
My husband and I have been smoke free for over a week now. We cope with the withdrawals as a team which makes it easier. What is hard to deal with is the habit we have of asking the other one to go out for a smoke every now and then( we stopped smoking indoors after we repainted about a year ago) How do we deal with that?

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 5/21/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 12
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 240
Amount Saved: $62.40
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 0 Mins: 4 Seconds: 36

Reading this thread: