Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Quitting on Sunday

14 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Samuel! My only suggestion is to remember, Easy Does It. It's okay to adjust goals.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 111
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,108
Amount Saved: $1,204.35
Life Gained:
Days: 12 Hrs: 4 Mins: 44 Seconds: 59

14 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Samuel,

First off I would like to say congratulations.  You are at a point few people get to in their lives where they feel that smoking is just something they no longer want to do anymore.  Constantly remind yourself of that...it will be one of the key tools in your arsenal that will help guarantee your success.

As I quit cold turkey, I am unable to provide any useful tips on Chantrix however; as we are both the same age and both started at around the same age (I am 32 even though my profile states 33 and I started at age 15), I may be able to provide some life experience insight.

We both began smoking as teens and have gone a very small period of time over the last 15+ years without smoking as part of our day to day routine. During our early adulthood and adolescence, we constantly had cigarettes by our sides and this likely affected the development of our social skills and coping mechanisms.

Stressed out? Have a smoke.

Hungry? Have a smoke.

Tired? Have a smoke.

Wired? Have a smoke.

Restless? Have a smoke.

And the list goes on and on...

The tip that may help you with your quit is to think about these situations before hand and understand how you will likely react in them once tobacco is no longer a factor.

The SSC program prompts you to create a coping plan and you should definitely take the time to go through that exercise with a fine tooth comb. It helped me greatly!

Also remember, all SSC members are just a short message away on the forum. The support is beyond phenomenal.

Congratulations again and if you need any help, just let us know. We're here for you.

Paul.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/7/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 13
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 130
Amount Saved: $52.00
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 18 Mins: 25 Seconds: 29

14 years ago 0 24 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well done - I liked all the descriptions of your favourite hiking places!
I too have just started with Champix. I am on my 4th week.  I also have a few friends who used Champix.

The only thing I have thought is that I chose a quit date maybe one of two days too early and wasn't ready, so I really struggled, whereas my friends hardly struggled at all. They just gave up and that was it!

I chose 12 days into the Champix because I was excited and wanted to hurry.  In hindsight, I would choose day 14 or 15. Just before I quit I started finding the smell of smoke horrible, and I remember the last evening I smoked I was feeling a bit frustrated because I wasn't getting the 'hit' from my cigarettes. I should have carried on with that feeling for a day, letting my brain know that it was no longer going to get that 'hit'. But I just went for the give up straight away and as a result I had the constant nig-nag going on in my brain associated with cold turkey.

I get headaches, cramps, dreams, strange thoughts and all sorts as side effects - but I reckon it's worth 12 weeks of weird side effects in return for many, many years of not smoking!

I with you loads of good luck. If you are not ready on Sunday.... leave it til Monday or Tuesday.  Also, don;t make Sunday MORNING your quit time.  Make Sunday LUNCHTIME you quit time.... it's easier!

Good Luck, I'l keep an eye out for your progress.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/10/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 10
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 250
Amount Saved: $129.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 22 Mins: 1 Seconds: 48

14 years ago 0 90 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Samuel
Welcome!!!! Preperation is the key my friend. Get your head in the right space and you will find it soooo much easier. The gang on this forum are awesome, you will be overwhelmed by the support you get. Roll on Sunday!!!!!!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 50
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,250
Amount Saved: $375.00
Life Gained:
Days: 7 Hrs: 13 Mins: 24 Seconds: 56

14 years ago 0 29 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello, everyone.

My name is Samuel.  I'm currently 32 years old.  I've been smoking since I was 16.  I attempted to quit - and actually made it through Hell Week and Heck Week with the help of the people on this site - when I was 26.  Unfortunately, I had a relapse because I let my guard down after those two weeks were over and it's now six years later, but it's never too late to try again.

Last time, I wore a patch for three days and went the rest of the way cold turkey.  I think it makes sense to give myself a little bit of an advantage and so this time I'm taking Chantix.  I'll be finished with the first week of it on Saturday and so I've set my quit date for this Sunday.  I'd love to hear from anyone who has used this prescription before and if it has actually helped with the quitting process.

Regardless, I feel prepared for this.  It's been a long time coming now.  I don't feel like I did last time where I just had this enormous desire to be free from tobacco dependence.  Now, I just sort of feel "over it."  I'm not sure how else to describe it; I just feel like the time for smoking has passed.  I want to have a good quality of life and I feel that smoking impedes me in many ways.  It prevents me from enjoying life.

One of the things I love most is hiking and exploring the outdoors.  There's a nature preserve close to me where I go hiking four to six miles at.  I used to go there every day; I've always found time spent in nature is good for me.  The demands of my life have increased greatly in the last few years and I've been spending far less time there.  I've decided to make that my daily reward for being smoke-free.  I've been telling myself too often that I don't have time for it, but in reality, I really do.  I think it makes sense as a reward because it is something I genuinely enjoy and it promotes good health at the same time - hiking six miles every day will help my body rid itself of the toxins caused from smoking.

Although I'm originally from Michigan, I've lived in Kentucky for about four years now.  There is a place here called the Natural Bridge.  It's one of my favorite places to visit but it is not so close to me that I can go there every day, but I could go there on the weekends, so I've decided to make that my weekly reward.  I'm sure for some hiking doesn't sound like much of a reward, it may sound more like punishment or discipline, but these are the things that put me in a good mood and help me to maintain a positive balance in my life.  I think a lot about doing these things anyway, so making them rewards helps me to look at them from a different perspective.

I'm not really sure what I'll do a month from now, but after six months, I plan to take a trip, probably to Florida.  I already do some traveling, but it's usually for business and I do not have the time for personal activities.  I think I'll take a week just for myself and enjoy the sun and the beach.

And it will be just that much more fun when I can do it without smoking at all.  So that's basically it.  I just thought I would post and introduce myself.  Thanks for reading.

-Samuel

Reading this thread: