Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.760 posts in 47.060 threads.

160,783 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BMARCOS, KLIGO, LBUELA, RBORBON, ATIQUI

7th attempt to stop

17 years ago 0 204 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hazmo!! You have no clue what you have here! These people will take to to great limits, they did for me. I to work in the medical field. What really made me want to quit was when I seen a guy stick a cigarette in his trach hole and suck in the smoke, all while he was carying his oxygen tank! I nearly puked! You have to just grab the bull bythe horns, make up your mind that this is really what you want to do, ask yourself what the bad things about smoking are, and then ask yourself what the good thing about smoking are! Watch how the pendulum swings. And keep in mind about the guy that sticks the cig in the trach hole! God bless, I will be praying for you! Jim [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 48 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $11 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
17 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So I am not new to trying to give up smokes but I really want to quit. If anyone has any tips please share, I even tried to Kojak it and use suckers but that didn't work. After working in different medical career fields for the past 5 years I realized I don't want to carry an oxygen tank with me every where or have a trach. My first step is cutting all my smokes in between classes which is about 4 a day. I start tomorrow with that. I tried welbutrin but the nightmares from it were too extreme. The gum tasted horrible and the patch was costing me too much. Well good luck to others that are trying or have quit. I know it is not easy.
17 years ago 0 1150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hazmo: First off I commend you for your desire to quit and your efforts. Latching onto this site was a good idea. My 2 cents for the topic of things to try is to include dis-association. Like, I don't want to reach for a cigarette when I listen to country music. Switch the dial to rock and I'm climbing the walls for a drag. Most of my smoking was done with rock music. I started listening to country with my first successful quit which lasted 11 years. When I started smoking again 3 years ago - I switched back to rock. Now, guess what I'm listening to. Another thing I'm doing is not hanging out in smoking areas, walking and driving different routes and taking the stairs more. The gum does taste terrible. It's more tolerable when after you chew it a little to get the nic out, then park it in your check. Take a chew a little while later and park it someplace else in your mouth. This is what the directions say and in this way you're not really chewing it. It helped me a lot in my cutting back time. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/19/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hazmo - Different things work for different folks. I have heard amazing things about the medication "Chantix" but haven't tried it myself. Alot of people who have struggled in the past are doing much better on Chantix. I've used the patch. Although it's expensive, it costs less than I spent on smoking. On the other hand, many advocate cold turkey....you just need to be good and strong for that first 4 days. Otherwise, it's all about tools (drinking lots of water, walking, going to gym, gum, crossword puzzles, naps, straws - whatever works for you), rewards (bubble baths, early to bed in front of t.v., favourite snack and bigger rewards to celebrate each milestone), attitude (you can do this and it is a great thing), skills (new ways to cope and deal with life) + TONS of support from members and moderators at SCC. Wishing you the best! Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 66 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,335 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $330 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
17 years ago 0 2039 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You'll make it, this time, Hazmo. Where I live(Ontario), the price of the patch is about half that of cigarettes. At any rate, find what works for you, and keep posting right here, there's lots of support and help available. Cheers, Jan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/14/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 99 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $27 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
17 years ago 0 1006 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just wanting to pop by with a bit of my support for you! What you are doing is one of the best things possible. Dedicate some time to the good people of this site and you'll be quit before you know it. That's what happened to me... Good luck, Deli [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 108 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,626 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �324 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
17 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Let us know how it's going. Cutting down, or fading, was not my cup of tea...but everyone has their own methods.... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 70 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,527 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $560 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
17 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The cost of patches is short term, the cost of health is long term. That was my argument when patches were suggested, that they cost to much. Just a thought. I have tried about everything. It boils down to do you really want to quit. If so, set a date, read the program tools to your left, get prepared and come join us. Hope to see you around often. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 10 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 104 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $30 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hazmo, You have come to the right place! Our members have shared some tips for you and there are plenty more. Use coping mechanisms that work for you. Make a list of activities or chores to keep you occupied. Taking it one day at a time, will help with your goal. It may not be easy, but it is doable! Post often with questions and we will be here to answer. We are ready when you are :) Keep Strong, Josie ______________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: