Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,664 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MNJD, kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ

Take the pain and coming out of the closet

18 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I destroyed a 5-day cold turkey quit on the weekend and continued to smoke until 30 min ago. I�ve had 2 today and just smoked my last one. It�s shameful. I told my wife and family I quit and have been living a lie the last few days. I was a closet smoker for the last few days. I can't continue living a lie. So I'm going to suck it up and take the pain, cold turkey. I did it last week. My resolve will be hardened by telling all of you out there. I've quit. Besides, I can't enjoy smoking anymore. Every time I light up I know I shouldn't be. I'm 35 and have been smoking since the age of 12. I just hope it doesn't catch up with me in the end like it did with Peter Jennings.
18 years ago 0 58 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Bobbie. Here's the heads up on your wife - SHE KNOWS!! If she's a non-smoker she'll sniff you out from across a crowded room. But, don't worry, your own guilt is probably worse than anything she might say to you. I've also been "secretly" smoking for the last two days - what a fool. I've just crumbled away half a packet just to get rid of them (and here in New Zealand those puppies aren't cheap! LOL). So we'll be going down that cold turkey road together buddy - let's just enjoy the fresh air on the way, yes?
18 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bobbie, This is day nine for me, and the patches really help. Get some. They're worth every penny. Get the lozenges too, so you have something in your mouth. That helps alot too. I tried cold turkey, and nearly killed my two kids. So I got the patches, which has helped the mood swings a bit. If you're really disgusted, like I was, then you'll reach the point where you'll do whatever it takes. Best of luck.
18 years ago 0 1079 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Bobbie, Welcome. That is a horrible way to live. Smoking and lying about it. My last "quit" was about 4 yrs ago. I lasted 6 days and then started again. Like you I lied about it. Everyday I felt worse about myself. This time I told everybody I was quitting. Even the staff at my regular smoke shops. This time I refuse to live like that again. Keep Close, Keep Strong.[color=Red]redrosie[/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 30 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 731 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $249 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
18 years ago 0 711 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Been there, got the shirt. Its much nicer not having to lie all the time. Read, read and read some more and post for support...it works! Brent [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/8/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 54 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 382 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �270 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
18 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bobbie, You have to be honest, first with yourself, and then with others. You know that hiding your smoking is only hurting yourself. YOU are the one who will suffer if you do that. The only way to quit is to not smoke - DUH! Easier said than done, but it IS possible! You CAN beat this addiction... one day at a time, one craving at a time. Welcome to the site. Read as much as you can and post post post!!! It really does help. Congratulations on quitting. Crave the Quit! Butterfly [IMG]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/kissnflirt/littlebutterflies.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 95 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,385 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $313.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
18 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Bobbie. Welcome to the SSC. You've made a great choice. Don't beat yourself up over the slip. It happens. There aren't too many here who are on their first quit, so you're in good company. Just consider the 5 days a practice run. :) Smoking is a drug addiction, just like heroin and cocaine. In fact, the brain's response to nicotine is very similar to its response to cocaine. Lab mice have died choosing to satisfy their nicotine addiction over food and water. But breaking it can be done. The people on this site are proof of that. Keep us updated on how you're doing, Bobbie, and how we can help. Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 253 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,068 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $961.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 47 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
18 years ago 0 189 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You can do it...we can help. Just know that people support you in your quit, and don't let yourself down. Prepare for the cravings, because they prepare for you! Lucy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 39 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 985 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $331.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
18 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bobbie, Welcome! You can do this :) Take the time to prepare and let us know how we can help. The program and its tools can really be of assistance to you. Take the time to post often and see the support and knowledge our amazing members can give. Keep Strong, Josie ______________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: